Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vipatio50

yellow allamanda not blooming getting leggy

vipatio50
13 years ago

i have 22 planted yellow allamana. they loog healthy as far as full leaves but i have not had blooms. also same problem with my bougaimvillea trellis there growing high full but not one bloom

Comments (6)

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

You need to put this in discussions, but I think the problem really is that you are using too much nitrogen fertilizer on them. Bougainvillea thrive on neglect. Don't water them at all in the winter. They do best in poor soil, plain old sand is best, and only fertilize in the summer when it's raining. They won't bloom unless they are dry.

I don't know what kind of alamanda you have, so I can't say what's wrong with them, but if they are shrubs, and you are keeping them pruned, you are probably pruning the blooms off.

• wildmutt
    11 years ago

Can yellow allamanda (bought on trellis in 3 gallon pot,bottom 18 inches just woody, top w leaves and blooms) take full all day sun in summer zone 10b?

Is shrub the same as vine, just pruned to shape, or are they different plants?

Mine has no kind of viney growth; was it just not pruned at nursery so bottom is all woody?

I have seen a gorgeous, bushy hedge of 3 ft x 3 ft yellow allamanda up the street.

I'll take a vine, or a full bushy hedge, but I don't want a leggy in-the-middle thing.

Thanks,
    Gina

• wambulance
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have several yellow allamandas. They need full sun to do best and the one in partial shade is leggy and only blooms sporadically. I'm in zone 9 in southwest Florida. I do fertilize in the spring with Greenlight Superbloom.

• wambulance
    3 years ago

There is a vine and a shrub. The vine has long glossy leaves (5-6 inches long) with very large flowers whereas the shrub has small glossy leaves (2-3 inches long) and smaller flowers. You might have the shrub. Post a picture and I might be able to help. Also, I prune mine severly to produce bush-like result.

• Twyla's Timeline
    3 years ago

what months do Allamanda bloom? I’m in Georgia. I planted mine end of July and it’s grown significantly. I have it in Full sun , I fertilize it and water only when the soil is dry, but still no blooms and it’s now October 3rd. Our temperature here is currently 70-80.

• jane__ny
    3 years ago

I have two very large red Allamanda's which bloom all summer. They are still blooming. I have to cut them often, they take over, grow like monsters. After cutting, clean up any pieces or they will root.

Very pretty flowers but I sometimes regret planting them because of their aggressive growing.

Mine grow over a wood privacy fence and grow so fast, you have trouble opening the gate. It all started from one small cutting I took from someone's property when I saw it growing over their wall. Started in a small pot and the rest is history.

Jane

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations