Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

Anyone interested in a spring swap at my house?

nova_gw
17 years ago

I have been thinking of hosting a swap at my house in the spring, about April I think. I am about 1/2 hour east of Ocala in Marion county. I would like to see how much interest there is and if you would want to do an early "brunch" type or a later "lunch" type. Also, I thought it would give everyone plenty of time to root cuttings and sprout seeds to say nothing of having something to look forward to over our "winter". Let me know what you think! nova aka Susan

Comments (9)

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Susan,
    April would be a good time and Ocala is close enough to draw lots of people from Orlando and Sanford. If you plan on starting around 10am then people who live within 2 hours can still get there easily.
    This year I held mine in late June and we had to put up with some heat and rain. I think April or even late March is perfect.
    Kate

• zozzl
    17 years ago

Sounds good to me! Maybe some folks from Orlando would like to carpool? Pat

• maureen155
    17 years ago

Yes! And you're within a reasonable driving distance of me. Sounds wonderful.

Maureen

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, I got to attend a couple of swaps when I lived in St. Lucie county and always had a blast. I have wanted to host one but my last last house just wasn't "plant swap friendly". Here, however, I have plenty of room for parking ect. and somewhere to lock the doggies up. My garden is new, just started in March of this year, but is growing in leaps and bounds. I would love to meet people in my new area. I like solstice's idea of starting about 10 and giving everyone time to get here without having to start out in the pre-dawn darkness. Any other ideas will be appreciated, so if you have been to a swap and seen something that was fun let me know and I will try to work it into the plan! Susan

• KaraLynn
    17 years ago

Count me in! I live in Citrus county and work in Ocala so you probably live no more than an hour away from me. I always have extra plants to share and love going to swaps. Starting around 10 works for me as well.

Kara

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Hey marion and Kristy! Sounds like a "road trip" is in our Spring plans!
    Kat

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Depending on whether I have Saturday off if it is to be on a Saturday or if I know in plenty of time I can ask for the day off. Depending on circumstances in my household I would love to plan on attending. There are several other things I would like to do in the Ocala area. Could make an overnight trip out of it. Thanks, Linda

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am glad to hear there is a developing interest in putting together a swap at my house. I figure we can wait until Febuary to set an exact date and still give everyone time to get the day off and make travel plans. I like the idea of a Saturday "Lunch Swap" so that we can swap, munch, and hang out before hurrying home with your goodies! Then have Sunday to settle your new babies in!
    Please, anyone who has been to a swap where they partically enjoyed something, let me know so I can work it into the plans. Do you like the idea of nametags? How about a prize for the one who travels the fartherest? Would it be alright if I supply an main dish and beverages and ask for a covered dish? Should we prearrange trades or just bring what you have and trade here?
    I am already looking forward to this! Send me or post your suggestions here and I will try to put together a swap that everyone will enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your support!
    Susan

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Trades - some pre-arranged and most spontaneous. Let people do what they will and just be happy providing the site.

Nametags - definitely! Linda (Scents) has been working on re-usable tags. I'm sure she'll be happy to help with this.

Yes, let everyone bring food. When I did my trade last June, we provided burgers, hot dogs and brats. And Mojitos, of course. Everyone else brought everything else! It was awesome!

Pick a date as soon as possible so we can set plans. You pick it and we'll make it happen.

Kate

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting