Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinigemini

The Hardest Decision I've Ever Had to Make

trinigemini
15 years ago

I had to put my baby (dog) to sleep today. There was nothing else I could do for her. The vet said she would have probably gone in a week anyway but that she would have suffered. I still have my parents so I have never before felt his kind of pain before. I wish she could have died in her sleep. I wish I didn't have to do it. But we could not bear to see her suffer. Life is just not fair. Below are a couple of my favorite pictures of her. She was my little angel. She didn't even let me know she was in pain. She was so strong. This hurts so much.

Comments (21)

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm so sorry trini
    I've been through that and still miss our buddy but he had a good passing with a gentle vet he knew.
    your baby was a really cutie and you did the best thing for him. remember his happy days.

Denise

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Trini, I wish I could take the pain away but I don't think anyone or anything can. I've put many of my pets down and it still hurts! You gave her a loving home!
    Just remember the good things about her and know she is in a better place where there isn't any suffering. She will be waiting for you.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Trini, I feel your pain and know it first hand many times. The last passing that hurt badly was having to put my beloved Hemi, Max down the day after my wedding by a strange ver. He was nice enough to allow me to take Max outside and hold him in my arms under a wonderful old oak tree and he went to sleep in my arms as the bells rang at the church I had gotten married in the night before. People say they are just pets, but they are so much more and like my Max they are our children. The pain is very real and I am sitting here with tears flowing down my face as I share this with you and share your pain. Below is a poem that someone shared with me and it helps some. *tight huf* Linda

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge........

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Do dogs go to heaven?

My little bully passed away, no more to breathe a sound.
    I held him for the last time, then entombed him in the ground.

Day and night I wept so much, in tears I thought I'd drown.
    I searched my soul for comfort, but no peace therein was found.

In great despair, I hit my knees and then began to pray.
    "Father will I ever see, my dog again someday?"

I raised my eyes and saw an angel standing near a gate.
    I sensed an inner peace I'd never felt before that day.

The angel smiled and said to me, "Oh man of little faith!
    God sees every bird that falls; He knows your bully's fate.

I have met your little dog, I saw him pass my way.
    Your precious dog is still alive; he just walked through this gate.

Paradise is lovelier than you can comprehend.
    No pain or grief, no tears or fears, and life will have no end.

God gave to man His only Son, to cover all his sins.
    So why would God withhold from you, your pure and loving friend?"

The angel took me by the hand and said, "Now come with me.
    A glimpse of paradise I'll give, to you so you can see."

Through the gate and o'er the Rainbow Bridge we did proceed.
    Through green valleys filled with flowers, rolling hills and trees.

"Wow, so this is paradise!" The place was filled with joy.
    I saw my bully playing there, with dogs and cats and toys.

He also had some doggie treats, and food that he enjoyed.
    He'd made a lot of new friends there, including girls and boys.

Then I saw a child come near, and hug my little mate.
    She said to him, "I love you so," and kissed him on the face.

The angel said, "The child just crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.
    Now she needs a little friend, to love and help her play.

Gods love for her would be enough, in that make no mistake.
    But in His love, He knew full well, the child would want a mate.

This is why God called your dog unto this splendid place.
    GodÂs entrusted her with him, Âtil you pass through the gate."

I pleaded, "May I hug them both?!" The angel answered, "No!
    YouÂd violate a sacred site, and now itÂs time to go."

He led me back across the Bridge and through the gate to home.
    He left me there with new-found hope and peace within my soul.

If someone ever asks what happens to a dog that dies,
    Just give a gentle smile of joy and look them in the eye.

Take their hand and comfort them and tell them not to cry.
    For dogs donÂt die, they simply cross a bridge to paradise.

Dan Atcheson

If it should be....

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
    and pain should keep me from my sleep,
    then you must do what must be done,
    for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
    but don't let grief then stay your hand,
    for this day, more than the rest,
    your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
    what is to come can hold no fears.
    Would you want me to suffer? So,
    when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    only stay with me until the end,
    and hold me firm and speak to me,
    until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,
    although my tail it's last has waved,
    from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,
    who must decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close, we two these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author unknown

A Dog for Jesus

(Where dogs go when they die)

I wish someone had given Jesus a dog.
    As loyal and loving as mine.
    To sleep by His manger and gaze in His eyes
    And adore Him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood His faithful dog,
    Would have followed Him all through the day.
    While He preached to the crowds and made the sick well
    And knelt in the garden to pray.
    It is sad to remember that Christ went away.
    To face death alone and apart.
    With no tender dog following close behind,
    To comfort its Master's Heart.
    And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn,
    How happy He would have been,
    As His dog kissed His hand and barked it's delight,
    For The One who died for all men.

Well, the Lord has a dog now, I just sent Him mine,
    The old pal so dear to me.
    And I smile through my tears on this first day alone,
    Knowing they're in eternity.
    Day after day, the whole day through,
    Wherever my road inclined,
    Four feet said, "Wait, I'm coming with you!"
    And trotted along behind.

Rudyard Kipling

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Michele, I am so sorry.

Years ago while at work, I got to talking about my dogs to one of our customers.
    The gentleman returned a few minuets later with this poem scribbled on a piece of paper.

A faithful dog will laugh with you will play with you or cry,

He`ll gladly starve to be with you , nor ever reason why.

And when you`re feeling out of sorts somehow he understands,

He`ll look at you with his shining eyes , and try to lick your hand.

His blind implicit devotion, is match by his great love,

The kind of love we all should have for our maker up above.

When everything is said and done, somehow it isn`t odd..

For when you spell "dog" backwards

You get the name of God.

I don`t know who wrote it........ but it is wonderfull

D`Ann

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. You were able to give your baby the final beautiful gift of a quick passing. I know it hurts as I've lost a few old furry friends in the past couple years. The pain will always be there but so will the warm memories. Give yourself time to grieve and don't hesitate to come back to this set of posts and share your feelings. There's nothing better than the love of a good dog; we are all blessed by their loving eyes.

Kate

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

sorry I called your baby "he" when "she" is so clearly a girl. I read and write too fast.

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind words and the beautiful poems. I know many of my garden friends are also animal lovers. I knew you guys would understand. There is a noticeable absence in our home now. Candy was with me for 10 years and got me through some really tough times. I just have to keep reminding myself I did what was right for her. But when they gave her the needle and she looked at me, so trusting it broke my heart to know what I was doing to her. I guess it's just going to take time.

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry. I've had to put so many animals down. I was looking at my 8 year old cat today and thinking how sad I will be when she goes.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Candy was looking at you with trust in her eyes because she knew you were doing what was right for her. She trusted you to make the decision that would give her peace and take away the pain. She was telling you that she loved you and always would. It was her way of saying goodbye and letting you know that it was okay. I know how much you miss her. It has been nine years since I had to put Max down and I have been sitting here crying off and on all day as I remembered the final few minutes and the trust in his eyes. He put his paw on my arm to comfort me. I miss him so much today especially as I found a picture of him. I cried every night of our honeymoon because I missed him so much. He also had gotten me through the toufh times and he love and trusted me unconditionally. He woould lay in my arms on his back like a baby and purr. He would go to sleep that way and he slept in bed with me on the long lonely nights after my father's deah and he would ctawl up to my neck with his head and pat my cheek with his paw. He saved me from dying from a diabetic coma by gently chewing on my lip and patting my face until I woke up/ He even called the operator one night and cried loudly until she sensed something was wrong and patched the line through to 911. He was a special baby that I will never be able to replace and I want os much to hold him tonight and hear that purr and see the love and trust in his eyes. Yes, you will be vry alone for a while as it is like losing a child. I know it hurts to think of replacing Candy but after you give yourself some time to grieve then consider a new puppy that will need your love and attention and rememver that Candy will always be with you. When you feel that special presence in a room or a gentle brush against your leg know that God has sent her to you. I wish I could be there with you and hear the stories you have of her and just to give you a hug and pamper you for a while. Know I understand and I am here if you nee to talk wit someone. I love you and feel your pain. >>>>>>>>>>>>>big hug

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda,

Thank you so much...dogs are special people :-) Candy has saved my life too. Just by being here and giving me a reason to get up in the morning. Sometimes when I had absolutely no reason or desire to get out of bed she was there...telling me to take her out and feed and kiss and love her. When I was all alone and had no one she was there giving me her unconditional love. I just have to get over this guilt. She did so much for me and I could do nothing for her.

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Michele, I'm so sorry I wasn't around for you to call.You did the right thing. You did what needed to be done. You didn't want your baby to suffer and you did what was best.
    ((((((hugs)))))))
    I can tell you the Vet techs made sure your baby went peaceably and fast and because you were there, and giving her unconditional love, she wasn't unduly stressed. I believe she looked at you to let you know it was OK for you to let her go.
    She was a member of your family and it will take time to grieve. I understand and know that you are in my thoughts today. You can feel bad because you miss her but you are in no way to feel guilty. You did the right thing. You were a good Mom.Love ya,
    Kristi

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Michele, put the guilt as far away from you as you can, because the only thing you are guilty of is being a caring,loving Mommy who had to do what was best for her baby. You did not wish her to suffer any longer and because she LOVED you so much she went peacefully and happy and she felt your love. As I stated previously - she was telling you it was okay with her look and as she went peacefully to sleep she took her Mom's love with her as it was the last thing she saw. She could have so easily stayed around and died a slow painful death and you might not have been there when she passed. As it was she had the opportunity to tell you she loved you and was glad you were there with her. As I face the potential rupture of my husband's aortic aneutysm that will be the most horrendous pain for approzximately 3 - 4 minutes I wish I have the ability to inject him with something that would tak the pain away and allow him to die in peace. I pray every night that he passes from some other cause. It is so hard to watch someone including pets suffer. The selfish par of you wants to keep them around as long as you can, but the love part of you wants to put an end to the suffring and allow them to leave this world in peace and surrounded by love. The only thing you are guilty of is having taken excellent care of your baby and loving her with your heart and soul. You were there for each other and it will hurt for some time but YOU ARE NOT guilty. I wish I were there to spend time with you and just talk. I love you. Linda

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Michele ~ Bless your heart. Do not feel guilty. Watching Candy suffer would have been so much worse. She's at peace now and not hurting anymore. We've had to do the same thing and it is hard.

Those poems were beautiful, all of them. I do believe our pets go to heaven. They are there now with The Wonderful Creator who loves them all dearly.

FlowerLady

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and wishes....Linda I am so sorry to hear what is going on with your DH....Its hard enough to see a pet suffer but I can't imagine what you are going through with your Hubby....I know what you mean about hoping he passes peacefully....I prayed all weekend for Candy to go in her sleep....I slept by her everynight..the last night she was with me I slept on the floor just to be close to her....and I begged my departed grandparents to come and take her...no such luck. I know I did the right thing....and I know she loves me....I just miss her presence. I'm so used to having her follow me around....I couldn't even go to the bathroom without her opening the door just to make sure I was there....I still catch myself leaving doors half open so she can push it open. I will get another dog (when DH is ready) But until then there is just such an emptiness. You know Candy was not especially smart....but she got her way....when I was studying for the Bar all day long and she had enough she would jump up on the couch and sit on my books so I had to take a break. It was the only time I really took a break. How could I say No to her. She was so precious. Even DH who has only had the pleasure of her company for three years cries because of her absence. She was a special puppy and I am glad that I can share some of my memories with you all.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Share all you want, Linda

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Michele,
    This may not make you feel any better but I have to share this with you. We decided to let 2 of our beloved cats pass at home. One was very, very old and the other had gone through a long illness; not a painful one or I would have had her put to sleep, but a wasting-type illness. In both cases the end was not easy and it lingered. After years of sharing our lives with pets who were truly good friends, we feel like we may not have made the right decision on these little buddies. Helping your friend choose the right time is so difficult but I believe you did the right thing. It was harder on you, but easier on her. That's a gift you could give her.

Kate

• trinigemini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kate....it does make me feel better. (I'm sorry for what you had to go through but it is comforting to know, from someone who didn't put their baby to sleep, that I did do the right thing). I could not stand to see my baby suffer....this last week she had such a hard time standing and walking. We had to pick her up the last two days and carry her outside. She just got pickier and pickier with what she would eat until finally Sunday she refused to eat anything but a little peanut butter. I could not stand to see her waste away...I think that would have been much harder for all of us. She just went so quickly....up until a few weeks ago she was like a puppy...I guess its better it happened fast...she suffered much less. Honestly if I had to do it again the only difference would be I may have done it a couple of days sooner. I just didn't know. Friday she was jumping off the stairs again...I thought she was getting better....she was even eating (people food). Then Saturday right after the vet closed for the weekend she went downhill....very very fast.

• imatallun
    15 years ago

You have my condolences, Trini. You absolutely did the right thing, so sorry.

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    15 years ago

I also have had to make the decision to let them go many times. I miss every one of them. Saying goodby is so hard and painfull, but saying hello is so wonderful and there are so many animals that need a chanch. I hope you will find that special happiness before very long. God bless all you gentle people.

Pat

• LovingEyes16
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. It's truly difficult to lose a best friend and loving companion. Every pet is so unique and special. I am fostering a beautiful well mannered Staffordshire Terrier who really needs a loving home. She was a neighbors pet who fell on hard times. I have a dog so I can't afford to keep her long term. I know this is a strange way to share her information, but I want to ensure she finds a safe and loving home. Please just look at her adopte a pet page. The link is below labeled Cookie.Thank you