Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Easy Text Instructions (bold, italics, color, etc)

solstice98
15 years ago

I enjoy enhancing the text in some of my posts by adding bold, italics or colored text. A couple of you have asked how it's done and I thought a few more might want to do it too. Unfortunately, if I type the instructions directly into this message, it will do exactly what it's supposed to do and the code will disappear! So I've posted it as a picture file. This should work as long as the photobucket link works.

If you have questions, let me know!

Enjoy,

Kate

Comments (19)

• Lisa Brown
    15 years ago

Awesome, thanks. This seems familiar so I think I learned this somewhere along the way in computer class in college but then completely forgot about it.

Lisa B

• manature
    15 years ago

Great instructions, Kate, and a super idea to use the picture to illustrate the tags properly. I never knew how to do a highlight, and I like that a LOT! Cool!

Thanks for sharing this.
    Marcia

• nova_gw
    15 years ago

Had to try this -

Thanks alot Kate lots of fun!

nova

• manature
    15 years ago

Hey, Nova...*waving happily*...you just about got them ALL there!

Good Job!

Marcia

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're
    VERY
    welcome!

• If you can't get the bg color to work try a : instead of an = right before the color you want.

• Sad news: This forum won't allow marquees (scrolling text)

• It gets very grumpy when you try to change fonts

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

huh ?

LOL !

• cindeea
    15 years ago

WOW
    Always wondered =HOW DID THEY DO THAT??
    =Thanks sweet Kate! You always know how to = CoLoR my life!

• manature
    15 years ago

Look how you've BRIGHTENEDcolor> up everyone's day with your very informative post, Kate!

Thank You!!!color>

Marcia

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Testing...

This is Arial font!

And this is Century Gothic

And this is Papyrus

I think these will only show up in the correct font if you have that font on your computer, but these are three fairly common ones. It will always revert to Times if it doesn't recognize the requested font.

To change the font, use the "font face" command instead of "font style". To turn it off it's the "/font" command (don't forget the double angle brackets!).

• manature
    15 years ago

Kate, I believe you are correct, unless something drastic has been changed. Individual computers can only read the fonts they come with or that you have purposely installed on them. If you are reading a message with fonts that aren't on your computer, it will default to Times New Roman. But there are a handful, such as the ones Kate just showed, that most computers do have. Comic Sans MS is another one that is usually safe to use. But I know from building webpages that if you want to use an unusual font for your text, you need to put it in a .jpg or the like, or it won't work.

I'm not sure if Papyrus is on most computers, but I do know the other two usually are, so most people will be able to see what you mean, at least for the first ones. And if any of them look exactly the same as the basic font (Times New Roman) it just means you don't have that particular one installed on your computer. Me, I have over 700 fonts installed on mine, and over 3,000 in storage that I pick from for certain graphics, etc. I'm a confessed font-aholic.

Marcia

• manature
    15 years ago

When I said "But I know from building webpages that if you want to use an unusual font for your text, you need to put it in a .jpg or the like, or it won't work." I actually meant it won't work everyone. It will only work for those who have the font, so most people aren't going to see it. They will just see the Times New Roman default font.

Marcia

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have as many as Marcia but I have a couple hundred for sure. I love them too and use various fonts when working on training materials for work.

Marcia, what would be a good script font, like Bradley Hand or Kathleen, that might be common to most machines?
    Does my signature show up for you all in 'Times' or in 'Bradley'?

Kate

• manature
    15 years ago

Your siggie shows up for me in Bradley Hand. I like that font. Here are some script style fonts that have been around for a long time and might be installed on more computers than most. They aren't really "handwriting" fonts, per se, but do come under the category of scripts, I think. (I was going to do each one in example format, but it won't let me do that many...starts acting hinkey.) If you want me to send you any of the fonts, just let me know. Most are easily found at font sites, though.

Admiral
    Amazone BT
    Bahia ScriptSSK
    Black Chancery
    Brock Script
    CAC Champagne
    Chaucer
    CluffHmkBold
    Francine HMK
    Hansa
    Invitation
    Kauffman BT
    Kayleigh
    Lauren Script
    Lucida Handwriting
    Matura MT Script Capitals
    Monoline Script MT
    Murphy Script
    Partridge
    Pristina
    Rage Italic
    Regallia Script Itc
    Regency
    Scribble
    Script MT Bold
    Signature
    Vivaldi

There should be many in there that would show up on most computers.

Marcia

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moving this up because I received a question about text changes.

• sooth
    15 years ago

Kate, here are two texty presents (just a small way of saying thanks for all you do for us on the FL Garden Forum).

This is a fun one that makes text blink on and off:

text

To make it actually work.........pretend all the spaces between are not there. I'm also going to replace the word text with your nic because it's a cool nic and you went to Alaska. lol. And here's what happens:

Solstice

The next nifty fun thing to do is to draw a line THROUGH the text.

text

To make it work take out those spaces and replace the text with whichever word (or sentence) you'd like. I like this feature because it can really express humor:

My husband brought home the cutest little monster puppy!

lol....and I love the dickens outta that puppy. Stole my heart is what she did.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Sooth. Unfortunately, most forums and blog sites have disabled the 'blink' command. It was too distracting, I guess.

I love the strike command though and will use that!

Kate

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

So, will this work for Mac as well?

Cliff

• solstice98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cliff, it should. It's the code that the forum translates so it shouldn't matter what computer it comes from.
    Kate

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

oh..awesome! Will have to give it a try. Thanks Kate.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus