Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

My dilema-Surgery or a new temp job???

cindeea
16 years ago

Well I got great news at the surgeon today. They can schedule me as soon as Nov. 14th for my first hip replacement. Prob is I accepted a temp seasonal job that starts Nov. 5th. I will call Mike tomorrow and see what he thinks. I cannot imagine they would be happy for me to start and then take 3-4 weeks off. I am just so darn happy I am getting closer to surgery after waiting 10 months. Still, I was really looking forward to the job. What to do?? Last year they were scheduling surgeries 3-4 months out, so I thought it wouldn't be until Jan or Feb they would get me in. At first I thought, "Oh heck, I have waited this long, what's a few more months to wait till after the seasonal job is done." Knowing now that by December I can be walking better than ever, though, has me re-thinking the whole thing. After talking to Mike tomorrow, I'll let you know the outcome.

In the meantime, both doctors were impressed with my leg strength, circulation and range of motion. They feel that within 2 1/2 - 3 weeks I will be moving about without assistance. I didn't realize I was that strong and resillient, but they feel I will mend very quickly. Wish me luck!!!

Comments (17)

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Cindee,

Honestly if you don't need the money I would not do the job. Three months less of pain is a huge deal.....and can working make your hip worse? And being able to walk better by christmas...priceless :-)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Cindee it's a no brainer...have the surgery as fast as they can get you in girlfriend.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Hi Cindee,

Another thing...total hip replacement is a major surgery. Some people are lucky and have almost no pain and a speedy recovery. However, it's been my experience that most people take between 3 and 6 months before they really feel great and stop worrying about their hip precautions or feeling "tired", etc.

If you have a choice financially, just to be safe it would probably be better to have the surgery first and not rush back to work until you have fully recuperated!

PS I'm sending you an email soon!

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Cindee, Have the replacement!! I just had mine done 1 week ago today and I cannot tell you how much better I feel already. I've let my garden go to pot for 2 years because I was just unable to take care of it, but now I will be chomping at the bit to get back to it in a few months. Next year at this time you will be so glad you went ahead with the surgery and be more than ready for a paying job.

If you have any questions, please email me.

Ginny

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhhhh thanks guys, that has pretty much been the consensus from my end. I have waited so long for the insurance to OK the surgery. I Talked briefly with Mike today, and we will talk again in the morning. The job runs till May and I DO NOT want to wait that much longer. Will keep ya all posted.

Gini-we got to talk girl. Everyone I have talked to have said the same thing. The surgery is life changing!

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Cindee, anytime! My email address is on my page and if you have any questions I may can answer I would be glad to.

Ginny

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

I am so glad you are going to make it to Ricky's swap. I know you guya are going to have a blast.

Question - when is the surgery scheduled for? I am so happy for you. Linda

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK scheduled surgery today after turning down the job. That was a real disappointment, it would have been a fun job! But all is well, I need this surgery. I am scheduled to ruin my Christmas by going in for my bionic hip on December 5th.

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Cindee, you won't regret it!! I had mine done last Thurs. and I just got promoted from walker to cane today. It just feels so good to be able to stand on both feet without favoring one side. Did you say you need both hips replaced? You'll be so eager to get going on the second if you do, but of course you'll need to get the first one recovered. I wish you the very best for your surgery and recovery.

Ginny

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

My DH has a "bionic butt" (both hips replaced - 2000 & 2005) This spring we took a 4700 mile trip up to the northeast on our motorcycles. Can you say "he feels so much better"??

He took a long time deciding to have the first one done. The second one was decided quickly. He said a few days after surgery that the surgical pain was no where near as bad as the hip pain prior to surgery.

Yes, it is very MAJOR surgery - but it is indeed a positive life change when all goes well.

Terri (ladywingr AT hotmail DOT com)

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

You will not ruin your Christmas as you will be moving around without pain on one side and you will be able to be part of everything. I am proud of you girlfriend. (((((hugs)))))) Linda

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

You go, Ms Bionic Woman!!!!!!!!!

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Have the Surgery. I want you to teach me how to Scuba before I leave South Florida.

Tropcialfreak

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are so inspirational! Thanks so much for your support and votes of confidence! Cliff, I am no longer certified or insured to teach scuba any more. But come on over to the house and I'll hold your head under the water in the pool! lol

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Bionic Cindee! I'm sure you've made the right decision and will always be glad you did it this way. I'm glad the insurance company finally came through for you.

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Scuba, scuba....snorkel, snorkel

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Cliff. You guys have to make a road trip over to visit me while I am "laid up". My surgery is set for December 5th. I'll be at Southwest Regional for 3 looooong days then home to recuperate. I can just feel my boredom setting in......yawn