Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jupiterplants

Mince meat pie and other food :)

jupiterplants
16 years ago

Hi, I just saw Lisa ( mastiffs) and her dh Pat in the store. We got to talking about food and I mention that I was going to cook a mince meat pie ( for myself) Havn`t had one in 4 years because NOBODY likes it ! I will throw most of it away :(

So who out there like s the stuff ????????

It is alway fun to see the holiday foods others like to cook.

I will be cooking;

Turkey and giblet dressing

Mashed potatoes and gravy

string beans

turnips and carrots ( cooked and mashed together with butter ) from Steve's childhood meal

cranberry sauce and berries ( from a can ) LOL

Chocolate /chocolate cake for Steve ( he doesn`t like pie )

pumpkin pie

And mince meatpie for me......my dad and I would eat it together....

he is gone now , so I will throw 1/2 away and cry ( sniff)

Happy Thanksgiving !

D`Ann

Comments (11)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

D'Ann I can't say that I've ever had mince meat pie. I'd try it if someone was serving it. Could you freeze a couple of pieces for later.

We are sharing the day with friends (15 for dinner and many more for dessert). The hostess broke her leg when she crashed her motorcycle a month ago. On the menu this year we are having:

Lots of appetizers
    Relish tray
    Mashed potatoes with giblet gravy
    Stuffing (two kinds~in the bird and in a casserole)
    Green beans Almondine
    Butternut squash with sauted apples
    Peas and pearl onions (yes, I use frozen peas)
    Braised brussel sprouts
    Corn (for those when won't eat any other veggie)
    Roasted Turkey
    Homemade Cranberry orange relish
    Homemade Parker House Rolls

Pumpkin Pie
    Lemon Meringue Pie
    Chocolate Cloud with whipped cream

I wish everone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Marion

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

D'Ann, it was nice seeing you today! I hope your mincemeat pie brings back great memories of past Holidays with your Dad!

I've been having a blast today cooking, while Pat washed the trucks (a huge job). I love to cook, even with having to watch for sleeping Mastiffs behind me in the kitchen(G).

My Turkey should be ready around 3. I stuffed it with a combination sage sausage/apple/celery/seasoned bread crumbs. The house sure smells great! Got mashed potatoes with cream cheese/chives/sour cream/butter all done. Pat's requested Green Bean Casserole is also ready. Have sweet potatoes roasting, extra stuffing will go in after I pull the turkey out to rest. Picked up awesome pies from Costco, and a real fancy cake for tomorrow. Fresh strawberries await my strawberry/cheesecake pie.

I'm cooking because we love leftovers(G). Will be spending Thanksgiving with friends, but we gotta have our own leftovers. Weird, but true..

Both of your menus sound delicious!

Marion, your Butternut squash side dish reminded me about the squash on my counter. I better cook it!

Hope everyone has a pleasant and tasty Holiday!

Lisa

• wanda662
    16 years ago

Did someone say mince meat pie! I haven't had that in awhile! No one like it here either!
    If my son was coming down I would have to make peanut butter pie and pumkin pie.
    We're going out this year, no since cookin for 2 but like Lisa's idea, you just have to have left overs!

Happy Thanksgiving every one!

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

Last year we had the best Thanksgiving ever with 14 family members staying - and cooking! - at our house. Now that is my idea of Thanksgiving. We had all the Massey family Alabama traditions and my Mobile AL cousins introduced us to butter and stone milled grits and butter and cheese and butter and Cajun sausage and butter casserole. My cousin said she follows the recipe on the stone ground grits recipe and then adds butter. LOL!!!

This year has been one of trials and tribs but we have come out on the up end. But no big dinner or crowds and no cooking. DH and I plan to go to Merritt Island to ride bikes around the bird trail and then go to Cocoa's finest French rest, CafevMargaux. We have never been there but it has great reviews so I have high hopes.

I hope you all find your perfect Thanksgiving this year! To me the criteria sure do change year to year!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Ya'all are making me hungry! Breast of a turkey slow cooked on the rotisserie, mushroom gravy and stuffing, Cranberry Fluff (recipe below), mashed buttery potatoes, glazed baby carrots for the guys, steamed artichoke in butter for me, pumpkin pie.....YUM-O

CRANBERRY FLUFF

1 bag (4 c.) cranberries
    6 apples, peeled & cored
    1 1/4 c. sugar
    1 lb. miniature marshmallows
    4 c. green grapes, halved
    1/2 c. nuts
    2 c. cream, whipped

Put the apples and cranberries through a food chopper. Add sugar,grapes and marshmallows. Let stand 15 minutes. Fold in the whipped cream and nuts. This may be frozen.

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Cranberry fluff sounds good!

I am having 10 people. Cooking is one of my hobbies. Thanksgiving became a lot more fun once I learned to take Wed off. I was able to get fresh bread and ice this morning. I already made the fresh cranberry sauce, cheesecake, and gingerbread cake. I tried one of Rachael Ray's tips this year. Wash the the veggies before putting them away so they are ready to go. I bet my morning will go quicker.

We are having cheese fondue, shrimp cocktail amd bruschetta for appetizers. I am making 2 turkeys and 2 stuffings, a cornbread sausage dressing and a veggie stuffing probably tonight. We are having sweet potato crunch, Paula Deans green bean casserole, never tried it but I don't mind experimenting on my family, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and biscuits.

The guests are also bring 1 stuffing and a few desserts.

Have a happy holiday everyone. Remember to give thanks!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Pies are done!
    Dennis said he was going to bed to dream of pumpkin pie and whipped cream!
    {{gwi:436212}}

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

It's been many, many years since I had a true mincemeat pie. A couple years back I did bake a frozen mince pie (fruit, no meat) and it just wasn't the same.

No turkey for the two of us; it's pork roast braised in apple cider and caramelized onions, sweet potato casserole (brown sugar and pecans), steamed green beans or napa cabbage salad, cranberry conserve and a coconut custard pie. The cranberry recipe dates back to at least the 1800's and has apples, raisins and walnuts in it. Only takes about an hour total to put it together and it freezes wonderfully! (Why did I just think of Darryl Hannah when I typed that??)

Blessings of Thanksgiving to you all,
    Terri

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Both Ralph and I love mince pie. We are going to a friend's but I am baking a frozen one for us. No one there likes it either. I miss the holidays spent with my family in NJ.
    Anita you idea sounds like fun. Hope your meal was great.

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

I'm getting hungry just reading all of your delicious sounding menus. I decided to not do the traditional turkey dinner this year. There is just the two of us. I usually do the turkey dinner, but this year I just didn't feel like it and DH said it was fine with him. Last night he said he was glad we were doing something different this year. Turkey is kind of boring and he's looking forward to the cranberry sauced pork loin. Me too. I love the turkey dinner but this year it was break time. : -) Maybe next year I'll do a turkey breast.

I'm fixing:

pork tenderloin in the crockpot with a whole berry spiced cranberry sauce poured over and cooked with.

a celery/apple/pecan/carrot salad
    asparagus vinaigrette
    whole berry cranberry sauce (out of the can also)
    garlic mashed potatoes
    sherry sauced sweet potatoes
    a poppy seed/egg bread (in the bread machine right now)
    Served with a nice chilled white wine.

For dessert, which we had a small slice of last night, pumpkin-cream cheese pie with a pecan graham cracker crust. It was delicious! My first time trying the recipe and I will be making it again. DH loved it. It was like a cheesecake.

I have made a delicious pumpkin/mincemeat pie before. I used the bottled mincemeat with brandy in it. You put the mincemeat on the bottom and pour your pumpkin recipe over the top and bake. Yummy. With left-over mincemeat you can make a nice batch of cookies.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

FlowerLady

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

We are having a fresh turkey breast slow cooked in the crockpot with rosemary, orange skucesm thyme, onions, celety, bell pepper, a little southern comfort, apples, portabella mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic and a dash of oregano. I removed the breast this morning and will be making a great dressing with the broth to which I add walnuts, cornbread torn uo, torn up italian bread, boiled eggs chopped, additional raw celery, onions, apples, sage adn few other herbs. I then bake it and we will have some giblet gravy to go with it. I cooked collards, mustard for me and I will fix country style mashed potatoes for my husband with gravy along with fresh English peas for him.
    I baked sweet potatoes and will serve them with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. For dessert we have fresh pumpkin bread, fresh pumpkin pie and choclate chip blonde brownies with walnuts which will go to work for the characters I work with at Chef Mickey's, I did save the pie for my husband along with a few squares of the brownies and the bread. I will have fresh fruit mascerated in champagne with a thin slice of blue cheese.

I was suppose to go to work this afternoon, but before I heard from my manager to pick up the shift we received a phone call from Lee's daughter in Tampa and we are going over there for dinner tonight at least Lee will be eating. She fixes all carbs and protein and since I am on a protein restriction and am diabetic I will take a salad to eat. I reallu want to be at work. That is our day and I hope each of you have a day of thanks for everything you hold dear in life and for having the ability to spend the day together. Love you, Linda