Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Does the Florida Forum Seem a bit 'Dead' to you lately?

castorp
17 years ago

It's probably just me. I haven't been keeping up the way I used to. But when I do check in (I mean the "discussions" or main Florida forum, not just "conversations") it just seems like things are moving more slowly, with fewer posts and responses. It also seems likes lots of the old names are gone. . . Is it just me? If people are leaving, where do you think they're going? Is there some other competititor garden site/forum out there (I mean other than GW) that everyone is running to?

Bill

Comments (41)

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I think everyone is a little slower now that the time change is out...at least for me! I mean I get home and have barely 30 minutes to water and meander in the yard before it is dark. Forget getting up early... lol! So, I am a little non-garden mode at the moment.

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

For myself...there's just not as much really exciting stuff to report...we're finally getting some respite from the summer and the weeds aren't growing quite as fast. (although..we FINALLY got a bit of rain last nite/this morning, so maybe things will pick up now!) Also, I suppose, as with all forums, people come and go ...my guess is, tho, come springtime...you'll see a sprouting of gardeners! ...both new and old!

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Bill,
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like things have changed!
    I was away from the computer for about a week and was shocked when I came back and most of the 1st page was the same. I'm more used to posts moving to page 2 within a couple days if they aren't a hot topic. And you are right that many 'old timers' aren't posting. I've been around here since 2001 and I miss seeing the regulars. All the new members bring interesting ideas and topics, but has it driven some people away? I hope not. Maybe it's just the fall doldrums and we;ll all perk up as we start with cool weather planting. I certainly don't want to wait until spring to see some activity on the forum!
    Kate

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Bill-I agree. I am missing a lot of faces. I had some personal challenges the past few months, but I still lurked. I am back now and I miss a lot of the old faces. Ambersky, OspreySanctuary, Brenda, Bill from the Cape, Nicki, JoanMary, Tony...just seems like a lot of folks have gone elsewhere. Wish they'd tell us where!

• solstice98
    17 years ago

I know at least one person on the List of Missing who felt too many of the discussions became more emotional and less fun; more about people's emotional state than about the state of their gardens. Not long after that iVillage started moving some of those posts to this page but maybe the damage had been done by then.

Unfortunately, when this person posted about a month ago, their comments were misinterpreted and they were criticised. I'm afraid it may have been the last straw for them. This used to be a very 'safe' place to post and everyone was pleasant and friendly - I'm not sure feels like that all the time anymore. I hope we can get back to that.

For those who are still posting and for those who are lurking - I'm glad you're still here!

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    17 years ago

I have felt a slowdown on the forum. I was wondering what happened also. I haven't been posting as much as life has been hectic at our house. Hope it calms down some soon.

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

I agree! I used to sit and chuckle at all the funny comments and yes, I got a little "heated" by a few. I still feel this is a great place to "hang-out" and love all the posts that are placed here even if I don't commemt on them all. Where ARE those MIA's I miss them too!
    Kat

• annafl
    17 years ago

Yes, I definitely have noticed a dropping off of the number of postings. It used to take a while to catch up daily. Now it takes minutes. Maybe we should make an effort to post more frequently and see if we can't jump start it again!

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

I have noticed this too, but not just in this GW forum. Maybe it's the time of year, who knows.

I do know that this hot, humid weather that we are still having is really depressing. I did get out this morning and weeded and trimmed in our main garden until the rain started. Being rained on was kind of nice. We have needed the rain and we got a nice dose of it today.

I am a relative newbie to this forum, so don't know a lot of the oldies. One I do know and miss is Nicki and she's not only MIA here, but in Cottage Gardens also.

A lot of things happen in people's lives and sometimes they just drop out for different reasons. It's sad, and we miss them. All we can do is wish them well and try our best to keep this forum alive with all who visit and contribute.

FlowerLady

• SusieQsie_Fla
    17 years ago

I've been thinking, too, about the people who seem to have left; and wondering if they are just lurking - like me - or if they don't stop by anymore. I miss Walt and Jamie and Retro and Peggy and Irene, and lots more. And of course, Marcia's short courses on all things nature!

Some have moved out of Florida and maybe some are now snowbirds. I wasn't able to log on last fall after Wilma until about Feb, so I can't compare this year's activity. But hopefully, it IS just a seasonal lull and some of the fun will return.

I still think the Florida Forum is the best forum. Can I get a witness?!

Susie

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Amen!

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

LOL I'll double Amen! :) I have noticed that last winter it was dead in most of the forums. I think with winter, especially the northerners, it tends to drop off. Then Spring comes and it picks back up!

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Welllllllll, I have not been posting due to circumstances here at home, but I have been lurking. I also felt that my posts were part of the reason some people left so I decided to stay away until my situation settled some and I got back on target. Yes, the forum died last winter, but it rejuvenated with the arrival of spring, the bursting of new life and well, just happiness in gardening once again. I am back to being me, but I am not sure if I am ready to post once again, as I am still watching and waiting to see if others come back. I do not wish to be the reason people leave. I would rather lurk and be silent than to be the cause of treasured posters departing. Hope everyone id having a great time gardening with the advent of cooler weather. I know that my garden is going through down time in areas and blossoming in others as the fall and cooler weather plants take over. I am predominantly working with germinating very slow rare seeds to have nice things to share at some of the swaps coming up this spring. Life is improving here overall so it is somewhat spring for me. Happy holidays to all and happy gardening. Linda

• jupiterplants
    17 years ago

Could it be that we are tired from the hand watering?????Strange weather don`t cha think ?
    DRY-Dry-dry............
    Our retention pond is at its (January ) low. wonder what it going to be at in late March.... Will the fish be alive ?
    :( D`Ann

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I think if people are going to leave because someone has an emotional problem or something happening at home, that is pretty sad. We're a community, most of us have met each other and if we can't support someone through their down times, then what kind of community is this? Sure, it's gardening, but we do have a conversation section here. It's only natural that once gardening topics have been exhausted, we'll open up and talk about other aspects of our lives. I would like to hope that if anyone on here needed someone to listen, advice or a friend that we'd be open to that. I find it disheartening that people would leave because of that.

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Amen sister!
    Kat

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Jupiterplant-ya nailed it! I have physical challenges and lugging hoses got to be too much this summer so did the heat. I just felt I had nothing to say of interest. Yet, you think about it...we went through 2 awful hurricane seasons and we all jumped in when we could to check on everyone...strange on how boring overtakes us from communicating more than disaster, isn't it. Still I wish it would rain!!! God bless ya all and it's good to see some voices here. I do think this is the best forum. I have made great friendships here and learned so much and I plan to continue doing so!

• JoanM
    17 years ago

I have been lurking during the summer but it was just too darn hot to do anything with the yard. When I finally got around to weeding it, it was painful. I bet a lot of Fl gardeners take the summer off and just enjoy the flowers.

Right now I have two gardens to maintain. My new place has a sprinkler system! I can't wait to have one again. Too bad it is manual since I am not living there yet.

Cindee, we have been getting some of that rain you have been wishing for. It smells like fresh rain out on the patio.

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

joanm! The baby crown of thorns you gave me at Ricky's first swap has grown about 2 inches and has a beautiful pale yellow flower. I love it. Don't I owe you some heliconia?
    Kristi

• JoanM
    17 years ago

Hi Kristi, you must have me confused with Joanmary. I don't have any crown of thorns.

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    17 years ago

Nice just to see some of the names I have been missing. Hi all!

• solstice98
    17 years ago

It's maybe strange, but the less time I get to spend in the garden (heat, work, family issues), the more I seem to need this forum. If I can't play in the dirt, I can at least read about gardening or talk to people who understand the garden obsession.
    You people are like dirt to me! (I mean that in a good way, of course.)

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

Oh Kate, I know exactly what you mean, I am as adicted to this forum as I am to gardening. I have learned so much about how to garden in Fl from here. I have to admit I rarely come over here to the conversation page though, I don't know why.

• cindeea
    17 years ago

We should make some tee shirts Kate "You are DIRT to me"

• solstice98
    17 years ago

I love it!

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

(Chuckling to myself) You are more like COMPOST! I saw a pin that said "let's get dirty" was so tempted to buy! Love all the soil humor!
    Kat

• cejay
    17 years ago

I use to be addicted to this forum but the storms happened and when I checked back it just wasn't the same anymore. This is only my 2nd visit in several months. Age has slowed me down and this years drought has about crippled my greenhouse. Just getting it back running with lots of seedlings and baby plants.

Would love to see that old warmth and get to know other gardeners in the Palm Bay area.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Come back, Cejay! We need you! And I think there are several people in the Palm Bay area who have been pretty active lately.

• cejay
    17 years ago

thanks, glad to be back

• Irma_StPete
    17 years ago

It has seemed different to me for maybe a year. And I do miss those folks, too. For me, all the visual changes of zooming advertisements irritate me enough to keep me away. I want to come to a peaceful place, like a garden - not to a TV screen when someone else is surfing with the controls! No one has mentioned this. Am I alone in this? In fact, I'm going to start a new thread asking this!

• Bren2
    17 years ago

I for one have been here but just lurking. My whole yard is a mess with the dang China berry trees losing leaves,dropping berries etc. I just don't have the " get up and go " to get out there and get to it! I hate those trees. They gotta go. We took down 3 in the front last year. Now we have discovered termites in the hard wood floors so that is the main project for now. Get a bit disheartned at times. But tomorrow is another day.
    Brenda

• junglegina
    17 years ago

Some people are just disgusted with all the bickering that goes on here and the non-garden related posts that really should be done via personal email and not on this forum (before they were moved to Conversations). Some people don't care to hear all of that dribble and are trying to get good quality information on plants and gardening. Sure I've met some really nice people on here but we have our conversations off this site or via the good old fashioned telephone instead of where everyone else can be bored by them. Truth be known, not everyone wants to see endless pictures of peoples cats or hear about their husbands being sick and went on to more serious gardening sites where real information can be found. And some of us would rather spend quality time in the garden than sift through all of that.

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

This is my cat:

"Isn't everyone a part of everyone else? "
    Budd Schulberg, O Magazine, November 2003

"The character of a man is known from his conversations. "
    Menander (342 BC - 292 BC)

"I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. "
    Richard Greenberg, NY Times Magazine, 03-26-2006

"It's a rather rude gesture, but at least it's clear what you mean."
    Katharine Hepburn quotes (American actress)

• butterflygardener
    17 years ago

Misti
    Thanks for saying it, now, I will give it an ~ AMEN
    (love the kitty pic) Glad we have this forum as I have, learned much and gotten to know several of you better!
    After all isn't that the point of conversation?
    My Mother would've said "everyone's entitled to their own stupid opinion"
    Kat (meow)

• jupiterplants
    17 years ago

RIGHT ON KAT !

I was on one of the yahoo forms when this innocent lady asked some VERY BASIC questions about the care of a plant . Some pro ( a commercial grower from what I could tell from the name) LAMBASTED HER for not finding more info on her own. My heart broke for her. I light heartedly answer her question to the best of my ability. This is a community form...........not a professional form. I like (and need) a place where no question is to stupid. All through life you meet snooty know it alls................and I have learned to sniff them out. I like this form to be safe place....not a technical place. By looking at the subject line , you can tell if you want to read it.........or skip it.

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Here Here!! If you don't like someone's opinion, conversation, or cat...Love your's Misti...move to another conversation group. Perhaps that is what is happing to GW or we are just changing. Things change all the time. I know I come and go, often I have nothing new to say, but I love the people and bonds I have made here. And I am going to tell you about my aches and pains, because it's why I ain't gardening so much (all changing after the end of the year) I am gonna get my legs fixed I HOPE!

Anyway, it's good to have familiar folks who care about you and not just what weed you pulled up! Have a Very Merry and Peaceful holiday season...whatever your religious, ethnic, or agnostic affiliation may be...we all share the same world! May it be peaceful!

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

totally agree, Cindee ...and, by the way...GREAT news on the quest for you to get rid of the aches and pains! You look better in the garden and all dirty! :)

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Thanks Beth. I sure do miss some folks here though. Especially Amber who was my very first GW friend and who gave me so much encouragement when I had a blank pallet when we built our home. Irene is another who I miss seeing. Now it seems JoanMary has gone AWOL too. (sigh) missing some of my pals.

Beth, I did want to tell you I shared a bit of YOU with a good friend. My girlfriends Mom is a very special person to me. When she first visited our new home I shared some passie incense with her and it turned into a huge healthy vine. When she was recovering from Chemo, she would sit out front and take in the fragrance. She said all the butterflies gave her peace. I took one of those wonderful photo cards of a Gulf Frit that you gave me in a secret swap and have framed it for her for Christmas. She will absolutely love it as much as I do mine. She is doing very well by the way. Thanks for sharing the beauty!

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

Cindee, you have no idea how many warm fuzzies that gives me! There's nothing better than something that can just keep on giving someone some little bit of pleasure! I, too, am missing some of the folksl here... Breezy, in particular, right now. She sent me a brug cutting last spring and it's now beginning to bloom. It's the prettiest one I have and was such a surprise as I watched it bring on the first bloom! I lost her email addy, but I'd sure like her to know what a splendid plant this one is! (actually..I've lost most all the garden web friends' emails. :( ...computer glitch..yuk.)

• nebancsvirag
    17 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!!!!
    I have missed all of you as well.
    Often, I would check to see how each of you were doing, and I enjoyed gardening through your daily posts.
    My Health made life a bit challenging. Kidneys were close to shutting down 3 times- gall bladder inflamed, had to be removed,before surgery, i could not even think of eating anything,SO>>my beloved made me his favorite treat for all sick people.
    Soft boiled eggs.
    From this i managed to get a bout of salmonella, with 10 days in the hospital.Fell again, tore my rotator cuff.
    Surgery for that, 6 weeks of no movement, 6 weeks of therapy, only to find out, the repair failed. Of course, during this time i used my left arm for everything,resulting in tearing the left rotator cuff.
    Waiting for surgery, as soon as my kidneys say OK.

The big addition to our home turned out to be a trip to hell and back, a dozen times.

From the usual small problems, to no proper foundation to no roof tie down, Major problems everywhere. The new roof,which cost in excess of 80,000., has to be replaced, since the underlayment was installed incorrectly.

As you see, we had rather a "wish i could forget" kind of a year.

Hopefully, next year will be a lot better.

If i offended anyone with my dribble, I am sorry in advance.

Cindeea,
    I hope all your proceedures will go perfectly well, and you will have a comfortable, painfree new year ahead of you.

Happy Holidays to All,

Irene

• cindeea
    17 years ago

God love you Irene, you have had one hell of a year!! I pray that your new year is shiny and bright and full of promises not pains. Thanks for posting back. I feel better now. I am accepting the fact that if I don't do anything about my legs now, I never will and my gardens, discheveled as they are now, will only become a memory. I do not want to live with this pain the rest of my life, I am only 35!!! Well, 35 is the new 55 right??? In any event, Irene I am so sorry for all your troubles, you are such a sweet woman and deserve to be happy.

Beth-I am glad you are ok with my sharing your gift. I know this will make Margaret so happy. She is truly a lovely woman.

May all of you feel the spirit of giving and sharing and loving this Christmas...think I'll go make me a 'nog and sing some carols...Fah lah lah lah lah lah lah laaah laaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022