Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmarion_gw

What's your favorite comfort food

msmarion
17 years ago

For me it's a steaming bowl of homemade clam chowdda with a pat of butter floating on top, served with Common Crackers. For dessert Grapenut pudding with homemade whipped cream.

For a snack Town House crackers with raspberry Fluff (still trying to get Publix to carry it)

Comments (15)

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

Yankee, you! ;)

Potato soup, my grandmothers fried chicken and cheese potatoes, homemade pickles, biscuits and gravy for breakfast. :) Yes, I'm a southern gal! ;)

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Velveeta mac and cheese. Sometimes with bacon bits, or cherry tomatoes. (My teens don't like it because it's too cheesy????)
    Close second is mashed potatoes with butter and garlic chives. Whoever gave the chives to me at Soltice's swap, created an addict!
    Dessert? Any ice cream and a spoon!

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Tacos ~ A happy meal since I was a kid. Also Marie C.'s chicken pot pies when I work and don't feel like cooking, which is what I am fixing tonight. ;-)

Homemade soup and chili sound yummy too.

FlowerLady

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Of course...my mother's chicken noodle soup is NUMBER ONE. Just made a huge batch last week when Dennis had a bad cold. We sucked it all down in 2 days! My recent favorite comfort food is this decadent garlic chicken Dennis makes with a creamy gravy, slow skillet cooked so the chicken breasts fall apart in chicken broth, cream cheese and sour cream mix with tons of Buttah, baby. Pour it all over his buttery whipped potatoes. It's a colesterol suicide feast!

I also love a good bowl of New England Clam chowder with a generous shot of tabasco. Joe's Crab Shack in downtown Fort Myers makes our current favorite. I also can cuddle up to anything Italian. (food guys, food!)

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

Comfort food for me is a glass of cold milk, a bowl of cheese grits, fried fish, hushpuppies and the memories come flooding to my mind to remind of the days when my mother and father were alive and I felt loved beyond comparison.

When i am sick it is my homemade chicken soup, orange juice and tapioca pudding.

When I am feeling depressed it is ice cream with chocolate syrup. Linda

• solstice98
    17 years ago

No question about it: mac and cheese is first on my list. Almost any soup comes in second.

For snack food - Club crackers and spinach dip can always lighten my mood.

But for those "I'm going to take a long bubble bath and don't want anyone to disturb me! And I'm not kidding!" moments, the perfect combination is a good book, a tall glass of single malt scotch over crushed ice and a bag of Double Stuff Oreos. Aaaaaah!

• wanda662
    17 years ago

My favorite is chicken and dumplins. MUMMM Good!!
    Cherry Pie is my favorite desert.
    We tend to eat more in the winter than the summer.
    In the summer I like Tuna or chicken salad on a bed of lettuce with cold fruit around it.
    Do you eat different in the summer?

• msmarion
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We do, I make more soups and stews more heartier meals. I rely on my crock pot in the cooler months. Guess it's cuz we are from New England. Gotta have the old favorites when it gets cold! LOL

Wanda we will have to get together sometime. We have a "Treasure Coast" group ButterflyGardener, Katkin, JupiterPlants, Treefrog, Katkin. We get together once in a while to visit each others gardens and go home with more cuttings than you can imagine.
    Marion

• treefrog_fl
    17 years ago

This thread reminded me of a time long ago, a cold, foggy, drizzly day in early May, in Bar Harbor.
    Thoroughly chilled from camping out and walking around slick Acadian rocks, late morning, we walked into a small restaurant on Main Street, ordered coffee and chose a table near the fireplace to warm up.
    The restaurant was nearly empty, being between breakfast and lunch times.
    On the menu was New England Clam Chowder, sounded good and warm and filling, so we each ordered a bowl. Enjoying the coffee and warmth, some time went by. Had some more coffee. We certainly had nowhere to go that would be better. Finally the waitress arrived with our chowder, apologizing for the delay. She explained that the chef had to shuck the clams and prepare the broth. When I looked down to my bowl, I was amazed to see it chock full of fresh long neck Ipswich clams, you know...the ones with the succulent bellies and chewy necks...surrounded by the creamiest, buttery ambrosia of a broth...not thick or starchy, but just thick enough to coat the spoon. Small chunks of potato, onions and parsley just accented the dozen or so whole tender clams lazing in the steaming bowl.
    That's real clam chowder. Well worth the wait. In fact I've waited maybe 30 years, ordered clam chowder many times at many restaurants since, but have never had anything even close to that experience.
    Thanks for bringing back that memory.

• julieyankfan
    17 years ago

Potato chips, Helluva Good french onion dip and a bottle of Manischewitz Elderberry wine! Oh the calorie and cholesterol combination can't be beat, but it is offset by the antioxidants in the wine!

Julie

• carmiewest
    17 years ago

Any Mexican food. I moved away from Mexico 19 years ago and food is what I miss the most, well, my family first but there are some days that I *need* to eat Mexican food.
    Carmen

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

My all-time favorite food, when I'm by myself, feeling sad, husband at work, tough day at my own job -- is yellow rice with canned whole tomatoes on top. Lots of juice. I chop up the tomatoes so I get some in every bite. I use a big spoon! It sounds plain, but tastes wonderful, especially with lots of pepper and a bottle of Louisanna Hot Sauce doused liberally as needed. It makes me happy!!!

When I'm ill, ordinary Campbell's canned chicken soup, with an ice-cold glass bottle of real Coca-Cola, signals the end of being sick. Normally, I do not indulge in either. But together, after the flu or any stomach upset, they are a miracle cure! I figure that the high salt and high sugar somehow fix the inbalances from being ill. It works everytime..

Chicken Pot Pie, Green Chilie Stew, and Chicken N Dumplings are wonderful and welcomed at any time. Yummmmmmyyyyy!

And Cube Steaks... browned, simmered in broth until they are meltingly tender.. With a spoonful of sour cream, over yellow rice, with steamed brocolli... Dinner tonight...

Lisa

• wanda662
    17 years ago

Oh Yea, Chicken and yellow rice!!
    Hope to see some of you at Hethcote's on Saturday!

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    17 years ago

A mug of cream of tomato soup and a grilled or toasted cheese sandwitch. When not feeling to well, cup of hot sweet tea and warm buttered toast. Mom would give us the tea and toast when we were ill chillens.

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

My comfort food this month is baking cookies and cakes and making candies to give away to friends. That also brings the memories flooding back of our kitchen with the old oak dining table that now sits in my dining room and rolling out cookie dough with my mom and decorating the cutout designs with colored sugars and sprinkles. Smelling them baking and the hugs we shared and the love in her eyes as she handed me the first warm one with a glass of milk. Crawling into my dad's lap and giving him hugs and just snuggling close while we watched the fire in the fireplace and he told me stories of his childhood. Anyone want cookies? Linda

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!