Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Lasik surgery

gcmastiffs
16 years ago

Have any of you had this done?

I've been very near-sighted since I was a child. I wore glasses, contacts, and as my vision got worse, tried mono-vision lenses and bifocals. I hated them! My glasses got thicker and thicker.

My BF Dawn had Lasik 8 years ago, and has been happy with the results. But, I read that it could cause dry eye, light sensitivity, and imperfect results. I hesitated. I read all I could about it.

I want to be more active. Glasses are a pain when kayaking, shooting, hiking, gardening, showing dogs, etc. The price of surgery has gone way down, become affordable-since insurance does not cover it. My husband was supportive.

I researched online and found a place that has done 650,000 surgeries. I went for the free consult, and was impressed by the facility and complex eye exams.

Had the surgery Wednesday.. It scared me terribly. I'm not into halucinations/weird colors or things poking/sweeping/pressing my eyes. The Laser sounded just like my Stun Gun-held for 20 seconds (seemed endless). The smell of burning tissue was nasty. It did not hurt, but it was frightening.

But, I could see.. To the windowsill, out into the parking lot, down the street and as far as the horizon. I was thrilled!

It has gotten even better. Had a recheck the next day, and another one today. My vision is the best it has ever been, and will get better! I see 20/15 in my right eye, and 20/30 in the left. There is still inflammation, which will go away with time and steroid drops.

I never knew how beautiful the world is! I can now see every leaf on every tree! I've been living in a blurry world for far too long...

Lisa

Comments (10)

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Hey Lisa Thats GREAT!!! I wish you the best.

BTW, how does DH look to ya now?

Looking forward to more positive results.

Tony

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Lisa, I'm so happy for you. DH Jim had the surgery 10 years ago and has been thrilled with the results. He had some starring around lights for the 1st 6 months but it went away and he's had no trouble with it at all.

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Hey Lisa, that is great!!!
    I am so very happy for you.
    I have the opposite problem, I am far sighted since about 12 years of age, and it kept getting worse for a while. I too see nothing without glasses or contact lenses, and I am tired of it!!!
    I am thinking about doing the lasik since this summer, still been waiting don't know for what, somewhat hesitant.
    I too imagine, how wonderful it would be to just wake up in the morning and see!!!
    Thanks for your encouraging words. I will book my free evaluation this week.
    Veronika

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Lisa, congrats on your new vision, I am so happy for you. ;o)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Way to go Lisa!! I have had bad eyes since a kid with strong astigmatism. When someone finally fitted me for contacts, I sounded like you. Everything distant always became a blob. Suddenly I could see every leaf on the tree! I had to give up contacts a number of years ago due to my allergies. Now I wear Veralux type of lenses where the lense is broken into 5 ranges of distance. They are incredible. I no longer have that blurry night vision when lights come at me. I want to get the Lasik someday. I've worn glasses since 5th grade. I am glad your Lasik was a success!

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

What great news Lisa.
    I'm so happy for you.
    Seems you're getting younger and healthier every day!
    Congratulations!

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Lisa congrats on your surgery. I've been thinking about getting it done too. Last time I went to get checked for it though They said my eyes were too dry and that I would have problems....that was about 10 years ago though so maybe things have changed. I should go and get checked again.

• manature
    15 years ago

Wow, what great news, Lisa! I'm so happy for you! Nothing worse than not being able to see clearly. I have been wearing trifocals since my mid-40's because I couldn't stand having that DEAD zone in the middle between my distance prescription and my close up prescription. But I have often wondered if surgery would help.

Now I'm developing cataracts, and I have to wait for them to "ripen" before they will operate. Meantime, my vision gets worse and worse, especially at night. It seems crazy that you have to wait until the cataracts are so thick you are half blind before they can fix them, but that's the way of it. Maybe I will find out more about other options when I am ready to have that done.

Thanks for sharing, and here's hoping your world gets brighter and more beautiful every day. (Including your hubby...shame on you, Tony!) ;o)

Marcia

• peosaki
    15 years ago

I have been nearsighted since youth (age 16 yrs) and am scheduled for eye surgery on Tuesday 02/10/09. Problem = can't decide on type of monofocal lens to install. I've definitely opted against Crystalens option for several reasons (including halos under low light levels caused by pupil diameter exceeding that of the installed lens), but I hate to loose my excellent near vision, yet will be thrilled to see distant objects without eyeglasses. Right now I have tentatively decided to go for the distant vision (20:20 or better) monofocal lens and to rely on reading eyeglasses for near vision. Has anyone experienced this dilemma (as I'm sure that many have), what was your decision re: type of lens to install and how satisfied has been the outcome of this decision? Will greatly appreciate your feedback on this issue ASAP. Thanks - Nick L

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Nick,sorry no one got back to you but I bet if you made a separate post it would have caught their eye.(no pun intended)
    Let us know how things work out. Im still in the thinking about it but can't afford it anyway stage.
    tanya

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!