Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

I'm just not an HOA person

naplesgardener
16 years ago

Just a late night rant because of bad mood:

No they haven't harrassed me about my garden but I've reached the limit with my neighborhood HOA.

I have 2 of them, the local neighborhood of 93 homes and then the "overlord" of our community of 360 homes. Run by a bunch of control freaks who commissioned a survey from all homeowners asking where they wanted money spent or not spent and then ignored it, doing the exact opposite of what the majority want.

Bottom line is I spend waaay too much time trying to effect some change and it's not worth it.

Tomorrow we start looking at non-HOA homes. Hard to find here but not impossible. I'm taking all my major plants (bamboo!) with me when we go.

P.S. I envy the great gardens I've seen in this forum.

*****end rant******

Comments (7)

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I am sorry to hear of your problems with a HOA. From so many people I have heard of a whole awray of things they think they can control. We looked in one neighborhood and they said I couldn't have a fence for my dog and they had to approve what color I could paint my house. That's when I decided that it wasn't for me. There is a chance that you can have a neighbor not taking care of their property when there isn't a HOA involved, but I was willing to take that chance. I hope you find a solution to make you happy. Life is too short to be unhappy. ;o)

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

No neighborhood is perfect. But ever time I read about the problems some of these homeowner associations cause , it really distresses me.

We live in a agricultural / residential area. So horses, chickens, pigs ( other animals) are okay.

I hate it when people dump their cats and dogs....and I hate when people leave their poor dogs chained up and they bark all night.

But plants that need to be trimmed , bad choice of color for the house, a boat or two....or five....... I DON`T CARE !

I can show you a house up the street where the owners park a semi truck in the yard........ I don`t care !

Good luck on your search....... I know you will find the right place for you.

. A place were you can have weeds and ground cover instead of St. Augustine.

And plant orange trees in your front yard. Plant a clump of bamboo and not worry about thinning it out in 6 months because it got too big.

I am firm believer that good fences make good neighbors . :)

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

** No neighborhood is perfect **

That is for sure, but NOT living in an HOA community is GREAT, and I hope our area stays this way. It is unincorporated right now and that's just how we like it. We've lived here 34 years and there have been many changes in our area. More and more people. The neighborhood has a lot of transients, but then there are a few like us spread around in the mix.

We NEVER want to live in an HOA community. Way to many rules, and way to many rulers.

There is a home out there just waiting for you, one that has freedom not bondage attached to it.

Wish you the best in looking for a new home. Hope you find it soon so that you can start the new year off with less stress and aggravation.

FlowerLady

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I'm sympathetic about your HOA. I've had a couple run ins with mine but haven't let it affect me to the point of moving. They are a pain in the [insert your favorite body part here], but not enough of a bother to cause me to move.

To play Devil's Advocate here, I will tell you that I've lived in a neighborhood without an HOA and it was bad bad bad. The house next to us was painted Pepto Bismal pink and the people across from us apparently has a used car dealership. No controls can be hellish on property values. The hosue I'm in now has increased in value over 200% in 10 years. It's worth a couple stupid letters about pulling weeds.

Kate

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for everyone's responses. Today I'm feeling a little better because I've seen some support from the neighborhood. NOT a groundswell but a little support.

The problem is most people don't want to get involved until it affects them personally and then of course it's too late. You remember that poem about "When they came for the Jews I didn't say anything bercause I'm not a Jew"...etc, etc and finally "when they came for me there wasn't anyone left to speak up."

My first thought was that this is so petty why do I want to waste my life dealing with it, I could be doing BIGGER things. But then I thought that this is how everything gets started, on a small scale. Bullies see that they can get away with things close at hand and then go on to bigger things, in state and even national levels. So I've chosen to continue living here (for now) and keep speaking up pointing out what is wrong with their actions.

Many people are afraid to speak up because they are fear their neighbors will shun them or they will be punished in some way by the manager. Sad isn't it but that's life in a small village like my HOA.

I'll end my calmer rant with another of my favorite stories: A woman was walking along a beach where thousands of starfish had washed up with the tide and would be dying soon in the hot summer sun. She was picking them up one by one and throwing them back into the sea.
    A man saw her and said "Why are you bothering, you can't save them all so what's the difference." She answered "It makes a difference to this one" and threw another back to the water.
    She is my hero.

• solstice98
    16 years ago

I think your neighborhood needs you. One sane voice can make a huge difference.

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks solstice, although I'm not sure some people think I'm sane, just a mouthy female. Naples is really different from other places I've lived, very male-dominated here, very traditional male-female roles and in my community power is concentrated in the 70-something age group.

DH and I continue to talk and may move because HOA just doesn't fit our mindset. And I may get a bigger garden (smile) that would be a bonus.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County