Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeemom_gw

What I love most about Cubans

coffeemom
15 years ago

I've lived in S, Fla since 1973. What I love best about Cubans is Cuban food. (I know, you thought I was going to say coffee.)To think if Cubans had never come here (and if I had stayed in Illinois)I never would have had the extreme pleasure of picadillo, ropa vieja, or a fabulous roasted pig. Don't even get me started on plantains or Pollo Tropical roasted on the grill.

Dang, I'm making myself drool!!!!!!

Comments (34)

• manature
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yer makin' me drool, too...and I'm on Weight Watchers!! Will have to go see if they have any lo-cal recipes for all of the above. Oh yes, and FLAN!

YUM!

Marcia

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Our BIL, my DH's sister's husband is Cuban and we love him. He also is a US citizen, and has his own business, he is proud to be an American. He was in prison when he was 16 with his Dad in Cuba, came to the US after he was released, they left everything behind. He has also fixed wonderful roast pig, introduced us to a wonderful Cuban restaurant in our area called, Don Ramon, and DH and I also love Pollo Tropical.

All of us are unique. None of us are perfect. May we learn to get along as best we can and learn from each other.

FlowerLady

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

what I love most about Cubans is my ex-sister-in-law who is still part of our family. She remembers more birthdays, anniversaries and holidays than anyone in the family.

Sorry to be so specific but I don't know enough Cubans to make vast generalizations so I stuck with what I know. The kids I grew up with in the 60's don't think of themselves as Cubans or even Cuban-Americans. That's what their parents are. They are Americans, like me.

• coffeemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well said. I REALLY love you guys!!!!!! You are the best!!!!!!!
    ((((((((((((group hug)))))))))))

• annafl
    15 years ago

I rarely visit this forum, but have had more time at home today to relax, so I've been perusing and enjoying a little rest before I start my Christmas and other panics!

I couldn't resist this post. I have to speak. I was born in Cuba and came over in January 1962 at the age of 5. My father was an executive of a large canning company and my mother was a physician. They suffered the onslaught of Castro's regime and the fear and robbery it brought, and made a pact to leave their beloved country and extended family behind. At the airport, my mother was discovered to be a physician and was not permitted to leave. My father brought my sister and I to this country with only a nickel in his pocket and the clothes on our backs. He immediately got a job picking tomatoes in the fields, and later as a dishwasher. We did receive weekly political refugee rationings of milk, peanut butter, rice and beans from the government and rented a room from another Cuban refugee family for the three of us. My mother, back in Cuba, refused to work. Most people would have been thrown in jail for less than this, but somehow, they saw her courage and took pity on her. She practically resided at the immigration office and cried there daily, telling stories about how I was here, sick, and needed her. After six months of this, they couldn't stand her crying anymore and gave her a pass to leave.

After being reunited, our family got notice that a church in California wanted to 'adopt' us. We jumped at the opportunity, not knowing where California was or what to expect. This Church was full of incredible, loving, giving, caring people. I still remember their faces (and their gardens!). They rented an apartment for us and filled it with their no-longer needed furniture, necessities, clothing, kitchen supplies. Most importantly, they found my father a job that made enough to sustain us. They helped us figure out how to enroll in school. All we could do was attend their church, pray with them, thank them profusely, and occassionally, cook them a little Cuban food. I actually still send Christmas cards to a few of the original surviving members that helped us.

I loved school. I knew no English, but learned quickly. The first song I learned was God Bless America. Other patriotic songs followed, as this was around the time of the Cuban missile crisis and patriotism was abounding in this country. All my friends were American, and I quickly consumed the culture, and in my mind and being, became an American as well.

My mother set to work learning the language and taking foreign equivalency medical tests. Eventually, she learned and passed with flying colors. She applied to re-do her medical training again and after 3 years, she was accepted to an internship in Norfolk, Virginia. We had to leave all our new friends and second family behind to be able to seek a better life. My mother later got accepted to a residency in Richmond (where I started my gardening- a bed of fiery red zinnias!). Eventually, more training took us to Orlando (where I planted marigolds and hydrangeas, had a variegated ginger). She was finally able to get a job as an M.D. in Miami. My father, being an incredible sport, uprooted his jobs each time so that she could follow her career path.

Needless to say, we became U.S. citizens, and extremely proud of it. My father was the most patriotic man I know, in the sense that he was constantly and openly grateful for the kindness and opportunity this country freely gave us when we were desperately needing- not a handout, but a chance to make it. I get tears in my eyes still, every time I hear the Star-Spangled Banner. I have tried to impress on my children how great this country is, and how lucky we are to be part of it. As a matter of fact, I volunteered in my son's 3rd grade class years ago, to teach them the words and history behind the Star Spangled Banner.

My sister and I have worked hard all our lives and have thrived in schools through post-graduate work, having been taught the same values my parents imparted. I retired a few years ago. She still works full-time. Her son graduated with post-graduate degrees and my daughter is a sophomore in college, my son applying.

We will always be eternally grateful to this country and its kindhearted people for the aid and opportunities to succeed, given us. The open hands with which we were received and accepted. We are proud to call ourselves American. Although I do not forget my heritage, this is my country. It is truly in my heart.

• manature
    15 years ago

Beautifully said, Anna! And what a wonderful story!

Having gone to school in Tampa, and lived there for quite a few years, I felt very connected to the large Cuban community there. A friendlier, livlier bunch of people you never met...and especially so at Christmas! I remember a feast at a friend's house one holiday that stretched through three rooms on trestle tables, groaning under the weight of a whole roast pig and delicious dishes of every kind.

That was a very good time in my life! And did I mention the FLAN????????

;o)

Marcia

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Anna ~ That was a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing with us here.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Anna,
    I love your story. I also came in 1962. One of my adult cousin living in N.J. were our sponsor. We went to live with them for a month. My father found a job within that month in Manhattan and so we moved into our own apartment.
    We got our living furniture,velvet,from discarded sidewalk
    trash. My first experience in freecycle,LOL. My father did not want to be a burden to his adopted country and return the money that the US government had given him in aid.
    Mrs.Cavadi, was My favorite teacher, who took me under her wing and worked hard to teach me the language and culture.
    I joined the Boy Scouts of America and Mr.Newman also did his best in helping me to assimilate. Patriotism was very
    important in our troop 29 Of Hudson Valley.
    I carried the American Flag on Bergenline Avenue during a parade. Mr Newman made sure that I do it. He was glad to see me so proud carrying it. Oh I wanted to be an American so bad. At 18 years of age I became an American.
    I was so proud to pledge allegiance for the first time as an American. I remember when John F. Kennedy was Shot. I cried along with the other students and the nuns at St.
    Joseph's of the Palisades School.
    After turning 18 years old I began voting and have always voted on national elections.
    My three Children learn English first. Spanish is their second language. My ancestors were from Spain they became Cuban citizens. My father and mother chose to come to the USA and we are now American. English speaking and culturally very American. My heritage will always be part of me. Jewish from my mother's side,Spanish, Cuban and now American.
    Marcia, are you and Mark coming up for a Cuban roasted pig ,on
    Noche Buena? Sorry no low cal here. Or do you rather
    celebrate Chanukah and eat some Bunuelos and Chala bread.
    LOL. What a mix. Are we coming or going?
    Thank God that The Spanish inquisition is over. My effigy will not be burned. HE HE HE.
    Felix

Felix

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Lovely stories, thank you for sharing.

I grew up in the farm belt in Michigan. My first friends were latinos from Mexico. At my 30th high school reunion (the first and last one I attendend about 10 years ago), Olga, Gloria, Maria and I hugged and reminisced about so many good times.

At 16 years old, I won a work study job at a frozen dessert company. The Director of Q.A. was Cuban. He'd been a physician in Cuba, came to Michigan and had to work on the assembly floor at a furniture factory for many years before working his way up at Lloyd J. Harris Pie Co. I don't remember his name, but will always remember his kindness, intelligence and his stories. He used to allow me to pick out the pies to test for Quality Assurance, and my father just loved the left overs!

After college graduation, I moved to Miami! Some of my fondest memories are from interaction with people originally from Cuba. My one regret is that I never conquered the language, even though I took Spanish in high school, college and, later, community evening classes.

I lived in Tampa, too, after requesting a job transfer to get away from a boyfriend who was a bad influence on me, but kept resurfacing in my life.

When I try to express what I love most about Cubans, it is very difficult, mainly because I can't think of a thing I don't like about fun loving, gracious people.

How about some Cafe con' leche with that flan, Marcia? Felix, your holiday celebration sounds marvelous!

Nice post,
    M

• manature
    15 years ago

Roast pig? Roast PIG? ROAST BEAST?????? Felix...let's TALK!

Imatallun, loved your story as well! I'm so enjoying this thread and getting to know my garden pals better!

Now I'm read for cafe con leche, and...dare I say it?...FLAN!!!!!

*happy smile, here*

Marcia (ps..for those who don't know this, I can attest to the fact that Felix's Sylvia makes the BEST FLAN IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. And I would know since, as a devoted Flan Connoisseur, I've eaten flan in restaurants and homes ALL over the country!)

• ariel73
    15 years ago

Well I definitely love Cubans! I am married to one. My husband's grandfather is from Cuba, but his father was born in Ybor/Tampa.
    And don't get me started on Cuban food!!! I love stuffed potatoes and roast pork and...well you get the picture.
    My mother in law never taught me how to cook Cuban food -she doesn't like to share recipes, which is to bad because she is an amazing cook. BUT a friend of my husband has offered to teach me some Cuban recipes and I am soo excited!

I am so happy we have such amazing people here on gardenweb!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

We have always been a delightful mix of people here and I celebrate the differences as well as the similarities.
    ___ Of all the millions of people in the world, we all live in this relatively small piece of the Earth.
    ___And of all the millions of people who live in Florida, we all garden.
    ___And of all the hundreds of thousands of gardeners in Florida, we have come together on this forum.
    How can we not be family? LOL

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your stories and for being part of this group.
    Felix, I'm so glad you've come back to us!!!
    Have a blessed Christmas Eve (Noche Buena) and a happy New Year too!

Kate

• annafl
    15 years ago

Felix,

I love your story too. I cannot imagine the courage our parents had to leave their comfortable existence, leaving everything behind they had worked so hard for, and starting over completely in a different country, with no career, friends, and not being able to speak a word of the language. A real leap of faith. You would have to have faith- in God, yourselves, and the kindness and tolerance of others. My mother was 39 and my father in his 40's! You know, they simply did it for us- that we would have a better life than in a communist country where the young were all brainwashed to think the new government was wonderful.

I know you were proud to carry the flag and to say the pledge of allegiance knowing you were now a real part of this wonderful country. Those are the same feelings I still have.

Yes, I married a wonderful man born in Iowa who is proud of my heritage, and we've had two incredible kids. Unfortunately, I did not teach them Spanish (I've forgotten a lot myself), but I try to impart the little things I know about my Cuban background. I cook very little Cuban food, but would like to learn more! Ariel, when you get some good recipes, please pass them on!

Imatallun, I'm glad you had good experiences with what sounds like lovely mexican and Cuban people. Some of my best friends now are originally from Hungary and Sri Lanka. I have loved learning about their cultures and their food! Isn't this a grand world? And so small. We are really all the same.

Now you all have got me thinking about lechon asado, maduros, yucca, flan...... gotta go make spaghetti! Bye!

Anna

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Wow these stories are great! My Russian grandpa saved money for eleven years to send for his wife so it is very interesting to hear how you all got here.
    When we first moved to Florida we lived at Forest Hill and Military trail in one of those Quad Apt/condos.My neighbors were a young Cuban family.She told me about raft trips and family separations.
    My youngest, a boy played with her two boys we called the brothers. Nate my son had and still has hair the color of cotton and skin almost as fair, his eyes were the palest blue. The brothers in stark contrast had lovely dark skin and hair and huge dark brown eyes. The boys often played without their shirts on but the brothers wore lovely gold chains around their neck. Ill never forget finding my 4 year old son going through my jewelry box. He said he wanted a chain like the brothers had. Well I gladly let him wear it though it was not real gold like theirs nor did it it contrast much at all with his skin.
    They also would sing as they played and I can remember my fair skinned towhead singing Ya Ya Ya Ya Ya Bom-ba see f see.
    At Nates Birthday the brothers and their mom brought him a yellow shirt and shorts, a color that looked astounding on her dark skinned offspring but you could see their Moms disappointment when it made Nate sort of diappear!
    I brought them banana breads and she would share her fried plantains with us.
    We were only their a year but it was a great friendship.

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Kate,thank you for your welcoming back.
    Anna,The blue goddess continue to bloom even with the heavy frost that we've been getting. The fishes love
    all the new hiding places. You are so kind. By the way
    all my friends,while growing up in New Jersey,were
    Irish,German and Italian. In Miami when We moved there
    I was in my latter teen age years all my friends were Cuban. That's all there was LOL
    Now,I do not know a single Cuban.
    My daughter married an American that can trace his lineage to Plymouth Rock.
    My oldest Son married a second generation American of Portuguese ancestry. My youngest,Aaron,well his girlfriend has a heritage of Cherokee native. My two oldest children speak Spanish with an American accent. My youngest can
    hardly communicate with his grandmother. But he is Trying.
    Diversity is beautiful and healthy and very American.
    We as American can get along with this diversity better than any other nation on earth. That is a miracle.
    I believe that as an American My language is English my way of life,my culture is American. And my Loyalty is
    America,not another country.
    I have put in hundreds of volunteer hours working with
    the mentally challenged because I believe in helping my community and my fellow men.
    Thank you every one for giving me the opportunity to share some of my values.
    Felix

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Felix,

My family traces the ancestry back to before the revolution, on both sides. That's pretty common in the South, which was so poor for so long, no one immigrated there for generations. And it doesn't make me better or worse than anyone. Just gives me a different experience. (And an urge to make biscuit in a crisis.)

What my family fought for in that revolution was for a country that judged on ability, not parentage, a place that was fair, where your vote counted for something, no matter who your parents were.

I'm sure some of my ancestors didn't anticipate it, and some of them wouldn't have liked it, but I'm proud that they helped create a country where black and white aren't the dividers or barriers that they are in most countries today. And where being a woman or gay or Jewish or Hispanic or a gardener or a dog-lover can't be a legal obstacle because someone decides they don't like "those people."

And this country isn't perfect, we've made plenty of mistakes, and sometimes treated people horribly. But being a safe haven for people like your family Felix is what my family wants of this place.

I bet you and I have very different political views. And I'm proud that my country, your country, our country allows both our views.

We're better for having you here.

And for people who would like to corrupt the American ideal into some sort of redneck, white-only, no foreigners allowed, we got here first myth, I have one thing to say. I got here before you did, my redneck credentials go back farther than yours, and if that's the standard and you want to make it an invite-only club, then I get to write the invitations, and you're not invited. Felix is. He's a better person. A better American.

I deeply respect free speech, heck, I work for it. But the first amendment also guarantees freedom of association, and there's nothing, in this country, that can force me to associate with bigots. The constitution says so. I want to associate with Felix.

I'm actually happy that our beloved freedom of expression has allowed a member here to show her true colors so that I know exactly how much I don't want to associate with her. I don't care if she's a Democrat or a gardener or white or a woman, or any number of other adjectives I might use on myself. She's a bigot, and I can't abide by that. Thankfully, I'm a citizen of a country where it's illegal to make me associate with her. I get to chose Felix, no matter how much we may disagree on any number of issues, just because I like him better.

Oh, and I like the coffee.

Susannah

• manature
    15 years ago

"(And an urge to make biscuit in a crisis.)"

Hahaha. I love it, Susannah! You are so right. We get to CHOOSE. And we can celebrate OR complain about the people we send to Washington. It's ALL part of the package deal. We can even march in the streets and protest. We're Americans! Of every color, size, shape, ethnic background, culture, and opinion. Like Felix, I say HOORAY for diversity! It can only make us stronger at the end of the day. (It's good for the gene pool, too!)

Cubans! Puerto Ricans! Germans! Italians! English! Scots! Poles! Russians! And on and on and on! Our ancestors all came here in the hopes of building better lives with MORE FREEDOM than they had where they came from. We have had chapters in this journey that as a nation, we can't be proud of, such as displacing the people who were here before us because they were not as technically advanced and we had better weapons and more manpower. Then we've had other chapters where we can and SHOULD be proud of our accomplishments and bravery. But we are all Americans, first and foremost (or should be), and ya gotta love a country that keeps on trying to get it right!

I'll choose Felix, too, as I've already made clear.

Now back to the Cuban topic...Felix, I used to get these wonderful little snacks in Tampa that they sold at stands (along with steaming cups of garbanzo soup to die for!). I want to say they were called something like "bolitas" (sort of like the gambling game), but I'm not sure. Do you know what I mean? They were sort of like hush puppies, but with peppers in them, I think. You could get a bag of them right out of the deep fryer, like you would order french fries, and they were soooooooooooooo good! I've often wondered if you can still go to Ybor City and find these being sold on the corners.

Marcia

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Marcia,first thought got wen I read this is boyitos or bollitos or boyos. They are made of corn.
    Key west was famous for them. back in the mid 60'.
    I drove there with some other Cuban guys. There were signs all over advertising them. We laugh because that is also a slang among Cubans for the female anatomy. s young guys we made a big deal that we wanted some.Lol
    Susannah,You are corect. I want to be able to not only say but think what I want. I can disagree with others for I have that freedom. I, on the other hand choose not to be ofensive to others because of their right to believe as they do. I choose you too and Marcia.
    Marcia did you dip your bicuits in the honey That I took to your house? How was it? Did you notice any diference
    between the Spring and Autum harvest?
    Felix

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Felix, I just realized I never gave you a warm welcome back.

((((Welcome BACK!!))) XoXO too! Yay! (Marcia already knows that she made my holidays oh so much better by coming back on board the forum.

Just thought I'd mention properly roasted Plantains as a p.s. Yum.

• manature
    15 years ago

Felix, yes! It was "bollitos" I was thinking of. I didn't know the word had any other meaning, *blush.* But I know they tasted wonderful. And yes, they were corn meal batter with peppers and seasonings, dropped by the spoonful into deep fat and fried. Yummy!!! Sooooo good! I wonder if they still make them in those communities. Maybe they call them something more polite now? Ha!

Felix, I have had the honey several times, and yes, I can tell the difference between the spring and fall flavors. They are both so good, I don't have a favorite. I'm going to make a hot wassail punch this weekend, in fact, and the recipe calls for a bit of honey. I will be using yours. And MY just picked Meyer lemon. (Plus apple juice and pineapple juice and cinnamon.) I've never made it before but it sounded good and easy. Hopefully, it will be cool enough that the warm drink will be perfect!

Marilyn, I'm happy to be back, thanks.

Marcia

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Marilyn,Thank you for being a friend. I am so blessed to have so many friends on this forum.
    You all are amazing. I do not take any of you for granted.
    Marcia, we may want to get in the kitchen and make a batch
    of "bollos de maiz"
    Felix

• manature
    15 years ago

Deal, Felix!! When I come for the ROAST BEAST (hahaha) you can teach me how to make them!! I remember always going to see the night parade in Ybor City during Gasparilla, and there would be vendors walking through the crowds with cups of garbanzo soup and paper bags of bollitos. Oh, boy! I had died and gone to heaven! Floats, marching bands, and yummy food! What more could anyone want?

Marcia

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Felix,

I'm honored to be chosen.

As weirdly anonymous as these internet groups can be, real friends are made here. Maybe one day, you and I will get together for roast pig and yuca and corn bread and collards. With a little mulled wine or hot chocolate, it would be a truly american feast.
    :)
    Susannah

• manature
    15 years ago

"As weirdly anonymous as these internet groups can be, real friends are made here."

You said it, Susannah! I have made several very good friends here that I will always treasure. And many more that I don't know as well, but have enjoyed meeting in person, too. And ONE who is like my second daughter, only living much nearer to me than SAN DIEGO!! (Why do kids DO this to us parents?) And then of course, there is Felix who says he is adopting me as his sister. I will be grateful to GW forever for these connections!

Marcia

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Manature,

Am I ever gonna get to meet you in person? Even when I lived in Orlando we never met. lol

..and Felix... I have yet to meet you in person as well...

I've met Kate... She was my first real "in person trade"...I was so nervous. I had nothing plant wise to bring her...so I brought her a bag of donuts from Smokey Bones...where I was working at the time....lol

...and then there is Coffeemom... *sigh*....she's a very special person with a huge heart and caring soul.... I'm very happy that she reached out to me... and introduced me to her pack(you know who you are..lol), the rest is history... : )

"Happy Holiday's" everybody....!!!!

Tropicalfreak

• solstice98
    15 years ago

And those donuts were GOOD!

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Most people on GW have been angels. Whatever their nationality or heritage it never seemed to matter much. And Cliff I have to agree with you about coffeemom....she is great. And solstice was one of the first to respond to one of my many questions. I don't know many Cubans....I only moved to Florida three years ago and I was in school so not socializing. But I can't see not liking someone because of where they come from.

• manature
    15 years ago

T.Freak, I sure HOPE we get to meet one day! I am looking forward to it...counting on it, even! Are you ever up this way any more?

I have lots of folks here at GW that I would love to meet. Everybody, really, but some who are extra special or intriguing for one reason or another. And T.Freakie dahlin', you'd have been my friend for LIFE if you had ever shown up at MY house with those Smoky Bones donuts! Man, are they ever good!!

Marcia

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Hey,Cliff!
    You have been away from the country too long.
    You must make plans to come visit Countrynest!
    Do not,I repeat,Do not bring Marcia any donuts unless
    they are weight watchers donuts.he he he.
    Felix

• manature
    15 years ago

BLABBERMOUTH!! I can't BELIEVE you ruined my chance for FREE DONUTS, Felix!!! What kind of friend would do that??? Oh, yeah...the kind who wants to see me healthy again!! Nevermiiiiiiiiind...

Marcia

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Oh, the best part about the donuts is the strawberry and sour cream dipping sauce. mmmmm...

I gained so much weight when I worked there. lol Between the donuts and pulled pork. My mouth is watering and I just finished dinner. lol

No, Manature, I haven't back up that way in a yr or two. Last time was for the day, when my niece got her wish granted from "Make a Wish" to go to Disney.
    You just got to high tail down here to one of Ricky's swaps. I'll send a car for you. lol

Countrynest, yes I do miss the country sometimes. Cracker Barrel is about as close as I get. lol

-cliff

• manature
    15 years ago

"I'll send a car for you."

Just be sure it's stocked with donuts, Cliff...oh, and some of that dippin' sauce, too! I'll be right down!

Marcia

• solstice98
    15 years ago

This settles it - I'll have to make the next swap at Ricky's. Marcia doesn't get too excited about long car trips but with all your help maybe I can talk her into it. Marcia, I'll drive!

Kate
    (MY Weight Watchers plan definitely includes butter and donuts!)

• scents_from_heaven
    14 years ago

I see this post has resurfaced and I am glad. I was not around much when this originally was posted due to a very sad time in my life, but I am glad to add my views today. YES, I am very glad to have Felix back and to see pictures of his beautiful garden and listen to his stories and I wait the day I get to visit his place. I know you have offered me an invitation, Felix, but life just got in the way along with depression but I am back and ready to visit with people and live life once again. I can not wait to meet you in person and get to hear your stories firsthand. As a writer I adore listening to people and their life stories and history as it enhances my knowledge base and it allows me the opportunity to embrace another culture and outlook on life.

None of us are true Americans unless we are Native American Indians. We are all immigrants and have come here to this country for varying reasons and the majority of those reasons were for political persecution or a differing of religious beliefs or ideologies. We came here to be free and to embrace a lifestyle where we had the rights to believe what we wished and to have a life where we could speak and fight for our rights and desires. This country is all about embracing people of all cultures, beliefs, creeds, religions, etc. We are all immigrants and very few of us are Native Americans and I feel shame when I think how we treated the Indians and still treat them today. We owe them so much and yet we do so much damage to them.

I remember the mass exodus of Cubans to America and the turmoil that was happening in their country. We had numerous families in the Havana, Florida area and we laughed about the name of the town. I attended a very small school that was so prejudiced that they did not accept me because I was from Tallahassee and yet we welcomed the Cuban classmates. I spent a majority of my life living amongst the black community because my father worked in the lumber business and we lived at the sawmill. I learned about acceptance a long time ago.

I have had the privilege of having Cubans in my family and I have learned a lot about the culture and more importantly the food. I love Cubans for bringing their food and culture to us. I love the fact they are hard working and yet they know how to relax and enjoy life. Most of all I love them for being some of the best Americans I have ever had the privilege to know. I feel their pride and their love for this country. I also have had the honor of being present for naturalization ceremonies at Disney where several of my co-workers became American citizens and took the oath. I saw first hand the pride and joy and the tears of happiness as they became a real part of this country. YES, one of them was Cuban. She has been in this country for seven years and now I tease her that since she is an American she has to learn Southernese. I have taught her how to say yall with the drawl and dahling, aka darling. She is so cute when she pronounces the words and she sounds so American and Southern when she does. I enjoy our potlucks when she brings Flan and other Cuban dishes. We have a lot of employees at Disney from South America and all across the world. Disney is all about diversity as is America. We also talk about gardening, herbs that we use in cooking etc.

We are all Americans and we garden and work and love. We share ideas, holidays, cultures and we learn one from another. I am so glad we are part of this great country and that we are able to meet not only on this site but in person to share our gardens and plants and food and beliefs. I LOVE YOU FELIX and all the other Cuban or Russian or Italians or Greeks or whatever country you come from. One big American hodge podge hug. By the way I am Irish, Scot, German, Italian and American Indian. How much o a hodge podge can you get?

I will close with this one phrase. Disney uses the word RAVE which stands for Respect, Appreciate and Value Everyone, Linda