tropicalfreak
15 years ago

"A Land Remembered"?

It's seems interesting.

Cliff

Comments (11)

• regine_Z 10 Fl gw
    15 years ago

I loved it! I read it several years ago and you just reminded me that it's time to read it again. It's a good story about Florida history.

Regina

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

omigosh, Cliff... ALL of Patrick Smith's books are wonderful! He lives right here on Merritt Island...had the very good fortune to go to a book signing on the weekend before Thanksgiving this year at Forever Florida. He's getting on in years; was difficult for him to sign the books but he did, and graciously, too. We got the video that he narrates...it's very interesting! One of the really nice things about his very colorful writings is the fact that he has done plenty of research on his subject matter. We're giving several on our 'gift list' list year books by Patrick Smith. I guess I'm a real fan...take a look at his website, too....I checked The River is Home from the local library and instantly became a fan. My husband just this evening finished A Land Remembered...he was particularly interested because he's an old cracker himself...grew up in the Miami/West Palm area and then migrated north to Jupiter and now we're in Brevard. You'll love the REAL Florida atmosphere. Please let me know what you think of the book!

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

My grandmother gave me this book a decade or so ago. She was born and raised in Florida and explained to me that she wasn't a Cracker because her people didn't run cattle through the scrub. She saw nothing right or wrong with raising and herding scrub cattle to market, or being called a Cracker (she said that was from cracking the whip on the cattle during the herd, but I've heard different stories on that.)

She just felt it didn't apply because her father was a sharecropper and truck farmer. And when she and my grandfather retired to the Panhandle to raise cattle, the Crackers were all gone, as far as she was concerned, and no one was running cattle through the scrub to market anymore.

But she loved the book as a fun tale with true details of the world she grew up in. She also loved Faulkner and Agatha Christie. She was one amazing woman.

• florah
    15 years ago

Not yet, but I will. I am planning to read all books on Florida... and all books on orchid collectors, anything botanical ...
    I have gotten great suggestions here before, The Orchid Thief being one of them.
    Does anyone have more great suggestions?

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got this book today. Can't wait to dive in.

Tropcialfreak

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

Cliff...let me know what you think!

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

still haven't had a chance to start it.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Ah, I saw there was a new message here and came back to see how you liked it! It's on my list too and I haven't read it yet either. I'm stuck on a multi-book sci fi saga right now and can't find time to start anything else.

Kate

• jollyjp
    15 years ago

Kate:
    are you reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's dark Hunter series by any chance, are you?
    That's the series I'm hooked on for now. very good series!
    Shirley

• tropicalfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm reading "Why's it all about you"

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Shirley, the series I'm reading is The Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. I haven't read any of the Dark Hunter series, but I'll check it out.

I am just about finished with a wonderful and intriguing Margaret Atwood novel, Oryx and Crake. Her books are always amazing in the story line and the use of words.

Kate

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus