Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

HAVE: Tampa Swap 2011 have/want list

crueltyfre
13 years ago

This is the spot to post what you have to trade and what you intend to bring food/drink wise to the swap on April 16th in NW Tampa.

Please bring something to eat or drink. I do not have tables for a sit-down type meal, so all food must be finger food. I will supply plates, cups, napkins and ice. Please read through the posts here to see what others are bringing so we don't all bring the same thing. I'll supply plates, napkins, cups, ice, etc.

NO KIDS OR PETS, PLEASE I have a pool with sharp, rock, edges that is not kid safe, dogs that dislike other dogs, and cats that will be underfoot.

Please label every plant, cutting or seed you bring! I guarantee you that by the time you get home with all these new plants your mind will not remember what was what or what it's cultivation is. If every plant is labeled, you can then look it up. You can write on the pot, write on the leaves, stick a tag in the pot, anything, just label them. I start my cuttings in plastic cups and then use a sharpie to write on the cup what's inside. Very cheap, very easy, no way to loose a tag.

List here what you intend to bring and what you have that you won't bring unless someone asks for it. Stop back here often and see what's coming. If you see something on someone's list that you really want, contact that person and set up that trade now, privately. Then that item will be earmarked for you and you can pick it up at the swap.

If no one asks for something you've got, bring it anyway. Keep in mind that my neighbors and friends, and the friends/neighbors of other Gardenwebbers will be attending but will not see this thread. So they may want it.

If you're new and don't have any plants to share, come anyway, bring food/drink. You'll go home with lots of stuff.

And if there's something you're looking for, post it here.

Remember you don't have to bring just plants, seeds and cuttings. Think old pots, tools, books, magazines, etc.

If you're coming, email me offlist at Crueltyfre@gmail.com for my address. I'm not posting it publically.

Can't wait to do this again and see you all again. This year I'll remember to take photos... and if I don't, remind me when you're here.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Tampa Swap Discussion Thread

Comments (24)

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's what I have rooted--

easter and xmas cacti cuttings, many
    dracena fragrans--fragrant winter night blooms, 1
    crape myrtles each about 3' high, pinkish red flowers, 2
    Night blooming jasmine, 2
    Clerodendrum Ugandenese, 1
    Sweet Gum tree, liquid amber, 1
    Red epiphyllum, 2
    Epiphyllum Oxypetalum, 2

I have about 6' of white lantana ground cover that needs to go...you dig.

Seeds-
    Datura Metal single white, double yellow, triple purple
    Sugar Maple Hibiscus, handful of seed pods

And here's the link to whats in my yard if you want anything else. Unfortunately, this list is not really up to date. The freezes and my absence during medical emergencies with my father have left many things dead, dying or just coming back.

What I'm looking for--

I finally have that backyard bare corner filled, but that big bed in the backyard between pool and sidewalk is still empty. So I need things that will need sun/shade, not be messy in the pool, stay low so I can still see the pool, not freeze in winter so it will stay nice. Now, what is that?

Always interested in bromeliads, begonias (no wax) episcias, and epiphyllum (use to also say orchids, but I've decided I simply don't have the time/energy to deal with them in winter..and saying that is soooo hard!)

And I'll supply the plates, napkins, cups, and ice and such.
    Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: My plants, cultivation links, photo's, etc.

• saldut
    13 years ago

Lori, I'll bring stuff that nobody else brings, when they tell us what they are bringing , in the way of edibles.. if you like..... Maybe some Verbena in that area by the pool ? it' low and spreading and neat..... I'm rooting some now.... also Devil's Backbone, Jade plant, Blood Leaf, Tampa Verbain, succulents, Christmas Cactus.... sally

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds good Sally. I have that tool cart earmarked for you so don't forget it. It's big, do you have a truck or suv to get it home?
    Lori

• saldut
    13 years ago

Hi Lori - WOW ! THANKS ! oh yes, do I ever have a BIG set of wheels-- a 15 pass. bus with some seats taken out.. I am stuck with it now nobody else would want the thing, but it works for me, hauling bags of chicken manure etc. it gets all of 8 - 10 MPG but is better on the hwy... Thanks again, sally

• stonecrabber
    13 years ago

I have the following for trade

Bambusa vulgaris 'wamin' rooted culm cuttings
    Crinum 'Ellen Bosanquet'

I'm looking for ?

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also have a pond vacumn from Pond Tec. Free to good home.
    Lori

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sally, I'm leaning towards Tampa Verbain for that bare bed by the pool, so I'd love some of that!

My staghorn fell down, twice, and broke off a few double leaf parts. I'm not sure if they'll take or not but I've tied them to a pine in case anyone wants them.
    Lori

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Hi folks, not really looking for anything in particular but I'll be there ;-)

For eats I'm bringing pineapple as it always goes over well.

I was sick and tired of having to buy a new watering wand every year or so because the triggers eventually break, and Cathy wanted one with a longer neck so it would be easier to water her orchids, so I made my own out of PVC. I had a box of 1/2" ball valves left over from a previous irrigation project so this project made perfect sense to me. If anyone wants one I can build you one for $5 in materials, just let me know how long you want the wand to be.

I'll be bringing these #7 nursery containers, they hold 5 gallons of soil.

2 gallon white buckets

A box full of unused plastic Pantera bowls, though I'd get into Bonsai but just don't have the time....

Trimmed back the Jeannie Moragne plumeria yesterday so these sticks would have time to scab over.

Here's a picture of it a few years back....

{{gwi:412796}}

Tom

• saldut
    13 years ago

Hi Lori - The Tampa Vervain is coming up all over the place here so I'll dig a bunch for you.... it naturalizes apparently..... Tom, I'd sure love some of those buckets and plant pots I never have enough..... I'll bring some chairs, seems last year they came in handy..... can't wait ! sally

• tinael01
    13 years ago

I have a couple of curry leaf trees for anyone who cooks indian dal and lemon grasses and possibly turmeric if it survives. I would really like some bananas and Nick wants a venus fly trap and sundew cutting. :) he just bought the nicest pitcher plant from the University of Tampa sale and he wants the full collection of carniverous plants. Anyone got some little meat eaters?

• tinael01
    13 years ago

I would also like some broms...I am ready to tackle the shade

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina, I'd be interested in lemon grass if you have any. I had a huge one that died after being moved, so mad at myself. I have plenty of painted fingernail and queens tears broms.

I have a lot of ceramic orchid pots and plant stands that I've decided to let go. The pets keep knocking them over and I'm tired of fragile things, both weather wise and pet wise, taking up too much of my time.

Tom, might be interested in a few of those bonsai pots you have. Plastic seems to be my friend lately, pets can't break it.
    Lori

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm giving up on things the pets break or topple, so I have over a dozen ceramic orchid pots that I'd like to trade for natural wood mounts-tree limbs, driftwood, etc.

Also have 3-4 metal plant stands that need to go, pets keep knocking them over.
    Lori

• keiki
    13 years ago

Oh Lori I wish I could come, I would love to trade for your orchid pots and plant stands!

• tinael01
    13 years ago

Lori I have the lemon grass put aside for you. :) Can't wait!

• stonecrabber
    13 years ago

Any idea on the number of people attending?

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Tina, I just cleared out a couple hundred hurricane broms, saved a couple dozen babies to bring to the swap.

Lori, I'll take those orchid pots, how many Pantera bowls do you want? I took a half dozen to Silvia but still have about three dozen left.

Tom

• tomncath
    13 years ago

BTW, Sally sent me a message that this weekend they are selling off EVERYTHING from Bud Spence's place. I'm sure all the really rare orchids will be gone before they open up Saturday but everythig that is left will probably be 50% less than the usual prices...for those of you that may want to combine the Tampa swap with a trip to north
    St. Pete....

Tom

• KaraLynn
    13 years ago

Tom, I'll bring you some cutting from my Lion's tail that you asked me about. Other then that here are some of the plants I'll be bringing.

candleabra cassia
    coreopsis
    daylily
    fennel
    beach sunflower
    chenille
    liatris
    yellow butterflyweed
    a couple varieties of begonia
    red and purple firespike
    1 giant peacelily "Sensation"
    chinese lantern
    pineapple sage
    orange canna
    four o'clocks

As for food, I'm planning on bringing either brownies or applesauce cake.

Kara

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paul, I'm thinking it's going to be about the same size as last year. I've sent out over a dozen address emails to new people, then add in people like you and Tom and others who already know the address. Then add in a handful of neighbors, and a couple of my gardening friends that aren't online. And last year, some people carpooled so that means a few more than I sent emails. So I'm thinking it will be a decent crowd again.

Tom, I'll earmark the orchid pots for you. I'm guessing just 3-5 of the bowls will work. I'm not sure what I'm putting in them yet, I'm just sick of the pets breaking things so want to move to plastic.

Tina, thanks for the lemon grass!

See you all soon!

• stonecrabber
    13 years ago

I hope you see this tonight. I reread the post and I didn't
    notice what time the swap starts. Please post the time for us.

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gate opens at 9 for unloading, swap starts when everyone's ready, probably 10.
    Lori

• journey149
    12 years ago

When is this taking place or am i too late

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

you're too late, it was in April. There is usually a fall swap in the area, check the boards then. You can also get a feel for dates by when things are talked about, check the dates of each posting and you can see how old they are.
    Lori

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County