Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

WANTED: Brunch garden party exchange in Oakland

whgille
13 years ago

If you like to trade plants on April 9, I will set up the side of my house to do so.

I can start bush sweet potatoes slips for anybody who is interested, I can also prepackage some seeds that I have from different veggies, let me know so I can do it before the party.

Silvia

Comments (56)

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Dianne, you are sure vivacious and full of life! I like that and the volunteering is starting to work really well, your idea sounds great. We are going to start the party about 10am but if you can come earlier, you can help with the last details. What you bringing sounds great! very party oriented.:)
    I will be making the bush Porto Rico slips for you. You will like Willy he is very friendly, a party animal, lol. I taught him to be a bartender and the BBQ master, he is done really well, he is a quick learner.
    We are going to have fun with all the people with good energy!

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I am so excited! I dug out the two purple sweet potatoes yesterday to start slips so I should be able to bring some. These are purple inside and out. I don't have any seeds to participate except I did get some from the organic grower meeting I attended last month. Maybe I can bring some of those. I may be able to bring worms, and perhaps some other things. Thanks for the ideas Dianne

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julia, before you bring something like worms and stuff, find out if somebody wants them, then you can bring them, otherwise if nobody wants them you will have to take them back. I suppose that they can go bad if left unattended in the heat. Seeds are safe to bring because they have a long shelf life and anybody can use them. Just try to make it easy on yourself and relax, if you don't have high expectations, things will go smoothly.:)

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

I have started tons of cuttings and tree seedlings this year that I plan to bring - - my FIRST swap after being on GardenWeb for 9 years!!!! I will post my list this week. Sylvia, what do you need for food? I can bring whatever we still need. I can't wait!!!!

Carol

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Dianne

Great idea on laundry soap! I've got several things I can bring. Getting a lot of FREE Right Guard deodorant this week!

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol, It is going to be very nice to meet you, I hope the plant traders come forward and tell you what they are bringing, in past years I have seen a lot of nice plants in the exchange.
    As for food, if you like to cook you can bring a savory dish and if not you can bring a drink, you can choose anything that you think is good. I am still thinking about what I will make, and is going to be a last minute decision since I have to wait to see what is available fresh from the garden.

Julia, anything that does not get bad if left unattended is a good idea, and I am sure we all use things like laundry soap and things like that. Plants and other like items will go on the side of the house.
    Food and drinks will be kept inside warm or cold if needed to be.

The most important thing is going to be to meet you all and have a great day, like Tom often said "we are a big family here in the Florida forum"

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

If anyone has extra 5 gallon buckets, I'd like some of those. Publix reuses theirs, I did get one from Winn Dixie and Wal Mart didn't have any this morning.

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

I potted up a dozen Cardboard Palm (Zamia furfuracea) seedlings this weekend that I'll be bringing. I'm also going to start some Papalo (cilantro substitute for summer time).

If anybody is interested in a beautyberry seedling or a mimosa strigillosa please let me know and I will get them potted up.

I've a few no longer used garden related things I'll be bringing; will post photos later.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianne's GW Trade Page

• tomncath
    13 years ago

I'm not known to bring plants, coming from St. Pete.... I usually bring seeds and other stuff, here's the post of my pictures for the Tampa swap the Saturday after Silvia's get-together. If you see something I have that you want drop me a line.

Tom

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom, your presence and Cathy's are good enough for me. I will have some of the blue tomatoes that you sent me growing as seedlings, after I finish potting all my tomatoes, I will see how many I have available to give away, courtesy of Tom.

Dianne, I remember that song in another lifetime, lol. I will save the snow golden peas for you.

Tina, hopefully I will have a red banana pup by the time you come to the party.

Julia, I will have a thyme herb for you, with good wishes of surviving.

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Thanks Silvia. If I get something special from you, I hope I don't kill it!

I will be bringing products like deodorant, laundry detergent, etc. I don't have any plants but would gladly trade that stuff for some wonderful things. I've got two raised beds that look so sad because there isn't much planted in there!

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Also, I need info on avacados. Are they easy to grow to get fruit? I don't like them but my family does!

I may also need a banana pup if mine don't survive (see my post in the forum)

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julia, I will be in charge of the food and the people inside the house. Willy will be in charge of the outside, the plants, the people and the garden tour.

After that, any questions that you may have I will be happy to answer.

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I can't wait! It looks like I may have a few purple sweet potatoes starts.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Hey everyone! Looking forward to meeting all of you! Here is what I am planning to bring:

Canna seedlings (color unknown; from pink parents)
    Willow Oak seedlings
    Redbud seedlings
    Dogwood seedlings
    Loquat seedlings
    Red Maple seedlings
    Hoya - rooted cuttings (variety unknown)
    Pink Dragonwing Begonia - rooted cuttings
    Hydrangea - rooted cuttings
    Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (Brunfelsia) - rooted cuttings
    Amaryllis bulbs and seedlings
    Crinum bulbs - Ellen Bosanquet
    Red Texas Star Hibiscus seeds
    Double Purple Datura seeds
    Red Maple seeds

Silvia, I am such a terrible cook. I had to Google and then call my sister and ask her what is a "savory dish". She told me it means something that "tastes good"! Haha - I knew that much, but I thought it meant a type of cuisine. So I'll try to bring something that tastes good. :) If it doesn't, hopefully I will make up for it in "plawnts".

Looking forward to all of the fun!
    Carol

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Carol,

You are so funny! What I meant by savory dish is something that is not a dessert, because we had parties before where most people brought sweets. Fruit is okay and I am sure we will have few desserts too anyway. I will make something fresh from the garden.
    But to tell you the truth, I thought that was the right word, but when I went to google it does say a dish that taste good, lol. So I maybe be wrong, forgive me for not explaining correctly.
    And I am looking forward to see you all!

Silvia

• gatormomx2
    13 years ago

The dictionary defines the word savory as a food that is salty or spicy rather than sweet.
    You are right Silvia!

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Mary, and I hope that you and other friends from Deland can make it to the party, let me know...

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I may make something sweet too. I love baking. I didn't see anyone saying they are bringing dessert, so I will probably bring a few things! But will bring the liverwurst dip as well.

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julia, Willy said he likes liverwurst, and he is going to cut a banana pup for you when you come.

Silvia

• dlsm
    13 years ago

Silvia, My wife Dottie said she would bring coffee cheesecake. I have grapefruit and oranges. Should I bring the fruit? Also looking for an ice cream bannana pup if anyone has one.

Luther

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Luther, anything you bring is fine. And about the bananas I don't have the ice cream.

Looking forward to meet you and Dottie.

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I can bring some sweet potato slips from Silvia's potatos that she sent to me. I'm getting tons of slips! My purple potato isn't giving me many. It's being stubborn! But I can probably bring a couple. The purple ones are vine type, the ones from Silvia's are bush.

• dlsm
    13 years ago

Silvia, Dottie is gonna bring a savory dish also. She got a kick out of some of the comments.

Luther

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Luther, don't make Dottie work too hard,lol. I am sure anything that she brings is great!
    I know what I am making, and it is going to be savory! lol and my daughter Cheryl has a passion for desserts so maybe that will be too.:)

Silvia

• organic_elizabeth_b
    13 years ago

So exciting!

I have some hot pepper, green chili varieties sprouted and potted from New Mexico to bring. I'm not sure they are advanced enough for anyone south of me but we can see what you think. I also have various seeds from New Mexico peppers to share.

I'm looking for purple sweet potatoes, any unusual radishes, and blue tomato. Silvia, if you have a potted blue tomato that is available I will trade you ANYTHING for it including homemade caramel candy dipped in dark choco. I am not above any bribe for a blue tomato that would come to fruit this season :-)

And.... so excited about the seed raffle!

Looking at the food options, should I alter my choco cake offering into Tandori Chicken?

Elizabeth

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elizabeth

I have a blue tomato just for you and the caramel candy dipped in dark choco sounds like to die for,lol. And I leave it up to you with the food decision, I don't want to sound greedy but I love Tandori chicken.:)
    When coming back from the races to the hotel today I went to this shop called Savory Spice Shope and they had a good selection of chili powders that I can not find in Orlando like the one I used to get when I was in NM the chimayo also found the aji amarillo that I used to buy it in Tucson Native seeds. I had a smile when I saw the name on the store.

Can not wait to April 9 to see you all!

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I'm glad Willy likes liverwurst. It's actually my mother-in-law's recipe that is awesome! And thanks for the banana pup!

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julia, Willy is an adventure meat eater, today he had alligator meat at the restaurant in St Pete. On the other hand, I love most vegetables to me is like eating a rainbow of colors.

Silvia

• maryataylor
    13 years ago

I would really like to come to this. But have to work, unless I can get off. I have lots to bring if I can come
    Kanaliches
    mother of thousands
    donkey tails
    light pink climing roses
    a few house plants
    a few cacti
    easter lilies that bloom in summer
    four'O clocks
    crinium lilies
    Maybe a shrimp plant.
    Might have lots more just got to get things together. Sure hope I can get off work..

• whgille
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Maryataylor

Let us know if you can come and I will send the address.

April 9 is coming soon for those that need the address contact me.

Silvia

• tinael01
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! I've got some curry leaf trees potted and ready for any indian dal chefs that are coming. One turmeric is up for Silvia and a couple more I can bring if they come up. Nick asked me to request cuttings from any venus fly traps or sundew plants that anyone might have. His new thing is meat eaters!

• dlsm
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing some Pak Chol. Will put it in a ice chest to preserve it. Have to make room for my sweet potatoes.

Luther

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I forgot to send anybody the address, please let me know.

I will have banana corms that are popping now, I will dig them on Friday for those interested to take them home on Saturday.
    Sweet potato slips are also ready.
    If there is interest in some of the seeds that I have let me know so I can put them aside on Friday before the brunch.

See you all next Saturday, April 9.

Silvia

• abnorm
    12 years ago

A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N

Oh my!....Still FIVE days to go.....

Silvia.....Are there additional needs for the Party?

Folding chairs ?.......card tables ?

Plates, cups, 'sporks'.....Ice ?

We may come early.......Is about 6am OK ? :-) :-)

Anybody want some Staghorn Ferns?
    ...more like "Wanna-be-Stags".....Plenty of fragments/pups of larger broad-leafed plants nursed to health and awaiting final re-planting......Happy in Zone 9b

Let me know and I'll bring per your request.......

doug and pam

• organic_elizabeth_b
    12 years ago

5 days and counting! I am so looking forward to meeting everyone!

Silvia - Ronn is signed up to marinate the tandori chicken early and have it ready for the party. I'll likely bring some cake too, just in case I can bore anyone with my stories of grinding wheat, my other obsession, lol.

I'm bringing a few plants, seed packets AND sets of homemade caramel candies for trade. Open to anything edible in trade. I'm interested in fruits, mushrooms, radishes.... almost anything that I can grow and then eat.

Elizabeth

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Doug and Pam

I like the energy before the party! Chairs might be a good idea just in case we need them. I think we are good with everything else and I am so looking forward to meet all of you! Doug, you will like Willy he is also a comedian, lol.

Hi Elizabeth

I will be very interested to hear the stories about the grinding wheat, I love anything useful and edible!
    We are going to have a great time! See you all next Saturday.

Silvia

• jwahlton
    12 years ago

Elizabeth

How about a trade of you carmels for some laundry detergent/deodorant/toothpaste and any other stuff I can find. I've got a good stockpile, but not plants for trading. I don't know what I'm brining, but will have some good stuff

I wanted to make caramels for Christmas but never got around to it.

• organic_elizabeth_b
    12 years ago

Jwahlton - sounds fab. I'm open to most any trade! Whatever you think is fair. :-)

Looking forward to meeting you!

Hey Silvia - are we going to have nametags so we can recognize each other?

Elizabeth

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Elizabeth, of course! otherwise we don't know who is who.:) if anybody have nametags before they come here, great! We will have some available too for those that don't.
    I will set the side of the house with a table for any trades. Willy will be there for assistance with plants, parking or anything else.
    Cheryl will be in charge of the kitchen and the food.
    And I have the easy part, lol. I will be showing around the garden and the veggies.
    We are going to have a great weather!

Silvia

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Hey there Pam, I'd like to try a staghorn! Thanks!

Tina

• dlsm
    12 years ago

With my poor memory, if they are more than one at the Brunch I'm in trouble. Name tags sounds like a good idea.
    When I take your picture you are identified.

Luther

• abnorm
    12 years ago

Tina....Yes Ma'am.....There's a stag for you......dougandpam

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For all the gardeners that are coming, I will put a garden flag outside so you can easily identify the house.
    Willy will be at the gate to greet everybody.

And Luther we will have name tags, when you take the pictures take only on the sides that we look better, lol. And I will take some of everybody I hope.

And I know what I am making, veggies that are ripe in the garden.

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Hi Silvia, I'm going to chunk up a couple of pineapples to bring if that's okay.... I can bring chairs too if you think they might be needed.

I can't wait :-)

Tom

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tom

I am so happy that you are coming! And I love pineapple, chairs might be a good idea, leave them in the car and we will take them out if we need them.

Can not wait to see you all!

Silvia

• jwahlton
    12 years ago

I am sooooooooooooooo excited. My husband laughs at me about this! I have talked about this for weeks and he get's a kick out of how excited I am to meet everyone and to see my garden mentor's garden. I'll try to bring a couple of chairs too, will leave in the car if needed. Sylvia, do you need any extra tables? I've got a couple 3 x 6 that are very light and I can bring those too. Bought the stuff for my pate' an am making some munchies as well.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Julia

We are all so excited! it is going to be fun to meet all the friends that we talked all the time about our gardening hobby, the extra chairs might be a good idea but leave them in the car and we will take them out if we need them. About the tables, I think we are fine with a large table that we have and we can always put a tarp to put more things.
    Looking forward to Saturday!

Silvia

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Whoo-hoo getting already for tomorrow! Fruit is marinating, bubbly water is chilling. Taking a break before I start the salsa. Weee!

I'll be bringing my own chair, it rolls right along with me; LOL!

I'll be bringing some cardboard palm seedlings. And, does anybody want any sword fern or ball tillandsia? Ooodles of it around here.

~dianne

Don't forget the seed raffle if you want to play!

• tomncath
    12 years ago

No request for nursery containers, Pantera bowls or 2 gallon buckets so I'm not bringing any of those, I'll save that room for extra chairs. For those of you that requested a watering wand I'll be bringing them, otherwise I'll be bringing all my veggie and flower seeds. I have two adenium seed pods that just opened up, anyone want to grow Desert Rose from seed?

See you all tomorrow!

Tom

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Fairfax County