Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel73

HAVE: Anyone want to do a local trade?

ariel73
15 years ago

Due to the postage rates getting crazy, and my never ending need for new plants; I would love to do a local trade with someone.

I have-

Raji puri banana

ice cream banana

no name plumies

Perilla 'Magilla'

lots of coleus

wild matts cherry tomatoes

walking iris- yellow and whitle/blue

bulbine -yellow and yellow/orange

canna- russian red

Tithonia Diversifolia cuttings

salvia- coral nymph

Helianthus angustifolius- swamp sunflower

Ceratotheca triloba- african foxgloves- white

Jasminum officinale vine

rooted cuttings of-

chinese rain bells

hypoestes aristata- ribbon bush

Salvia van houttii 'Dancing Flame'

salvia- hot lips

salvia iodantha

gingers- orange tulip, white butterfly, green mountain, Kewense, and more. I just can't remeber right now.

Thanks,

Ariel

Comments (69)

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

June 20th is good for me at 9:30 or 10 am, either works

Martina

• captstinky
    15 years ago

I would love to get in on the trade also. Not ever having been to an organized plant swap, are there details posted anywhere as far as protocol? I'd hate to assume one just shows up with plants and trades others for them. Sounds too easy and like too much fun.

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

That is what I am doing. I don't think there are any rules. I can't wait. I am so excited.

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

well, a Friday certainly does not work for me. sorry I will have to miss this swap :*(

Evelyn

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

lets do a saturday or a sunday then....Friday might now work for a lot of people...Maybe beginning of july, so everything roots?
    Olya

• easter794
    15 years ago

I would like to do a local plant exchange. Has a date or place been set yet?

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

nope...still debating :)
    how about first weekend of July? Or Saturday, the second weekend? (Sunday of that weekend I am out for volunteering)
    Olya

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

I'm good for the first weekend of July

Martina

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

The first weekend of July is good for me too. Who every said On a Friday, must have simm read my post. I put down July 20th that is a Sunday. I was thinking of things having time to root. Do you all want Sat. or Sunday that weekend? I have been getting things together.

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

I was thinking you meant the 20th of June, reading avoidgardners post. sorry for the confusion.

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Oh, I see...I thought June 20th, as well :)
    I am good for:
    First weekend of July
    Second weekend: Sat
    Third and fourth weekend of July

• ariel73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am alive. Sorry I haven't been around. I have been in and out of town, kids graduating, etc.
    Anyways I think my yard is about to go up in flames from the lack of water. I am a bit scared to see how some of my plants are.
    I would love to get togehter with everyone. Just let me know when. Saturdays are generally better for me.

Thanks,
    Ariel

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

Yay...good to hear from you Ariel. Ok, let's pick a date. It seems Saturday is the day. How's everyone for July 4th weekend....so Saturday, July 5th? If not good, how about 7/12/08?

Also, I'm going to make a list of everything I have extra and can bring with me if there's interest. I've determined that I can't bring it all...so if I have an idea of what you're interested in, I can bring it with me. Also, some of it I have to dig up...so if there's no interest, I won't bring that particular plant.

Thanks!

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Great. Either July 5th or July 7th will work for me. so if anyone has a preference, decide!
    Olya

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

Lets make it July 5th.

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

Aroidgardener,
    i am interested in
    Albo variegata
    odontonema Strictum ( red firespike)
    purple porter weed
    pink trumpet vine
    calathea zebrina
    and thumberia sunlady

And Ariel, there are so many things I like from your list.
    Mostly like the Ice cream banana and Raji banana, coleus and yellow walking Iris. If you bring more things from your list I would be lad to trade them.
    I am going to get a lot of my stuff together to day to see if I add more. I am so looking forward to this. You all have just made my year thanks so much
    Mary

• atreelady
    15 years ago

This sounds like fun. Is it too late to join in?

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

OK, Mary. Got your list.

Atreelady, it's not too late.

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Oh GOODY! I am new to this. I hope I have something someone wants... Here is what I have:

Purselane -
    African iris - Dietes iridioides
    Spanish iris - Dietes bicolor
    Ferns - sorry I don't know what kind they are.
    Tassel weed - Emilia fosbergii
    Coleus and Perilla(I think) rooted cuttings
    Oyster plant - Tradescantia spathacea
    Blanket flower cuttings and a few tiny seedlings
    Butterfly weed cuttings and seedlings (red/gold/orange flowers)- Asclepias tuberosa
    Swamp bay - Persea palustris - (you can use in cooking like bay leaf)
    Pink primrose - Oenothera speciosa
    Crepe myrtle seedlings - probably lilac color - one has flower buds so I will know soon
    Mother in law tongue (snake grass)- Sansevieria trifasciata
    Queen palm seedlings about 1-2' tall
    Camphor trees - sml trees, and seedlings
    Passion flower vine -
    Palmetto - sml
    Pine tree seedlings
    Sml water oak trees - or bush size
    Plantain - Plantago lanceolata L - not the banana
    French Dandelion - Taraxacum officinale sativum
    Parsley
    Sweet potato (or are they yams) cuttings
    Phillipine Violet - Barleria polytricha
    Variegated flax lily - Dianella tasmanica
    Peace lily
    mother of thousands seedlings
    Pipewort - Eriocaulon aquaticum
    Bottle brush - can try a cutting if anyone is interested
    Bouganvilla - can try a cutting if anyone is interested
    Plumbago - can try a cutting if anyone is interested
    Stictocardia beraviensis -can try a cutting if anyone is interested
    Mexican Flame Vine - Senecio confusus Britten - I am trying a cutting and I don't think it is working...I am trying layering but I don't think it will be done in time.
    Jamaican Butterfly Vine - Dalechampia spathulata - cutting
    Fan Flower - Scaevola - cutting
    Marsh Mallow - I am trying rooting in water...???

• atreelady
    15 years ago

I have emailed everyone but don't have emails for Mary and Olya.

Mary, if you see things on my list you would like, I would like to trade with you. If you still have any of these available, I am interested in lipstick plant, string of pearls, blue flax, green flame fern,lime green Elephant ears.

Olya, if you see things you like on my list and want to trade, please let me know.

I am really looking forward to this swap.
    Judy

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

Atreelady, I am new to this site I have not figured out a lot of things yet. I have all that you have asked for to bring, I am interested in a few things on your list.
    Spanish Iris
    ferns
    passion flower vine
    peace lily
    butterfly weed
    fan flower
    jamacian butterfly vine
    and Mexican flame vine.
    I will be bringing other thing not on the list I posted as well.

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Great Mary. I will get those together for you. I have started rooting the cuttings and hopefully they will take. If you still have some, and if it is not too much trouble could I get some foxtail fern too? Thanks.

Judy

• journey149
    15 years ago

where is the trade, what city?

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Journey149, it is in Tampa.

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Easter794 I tried to email you and it didn't work. If are coming to the swap and want to trade with me please email me.

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Having never been to a swap before, I have some questions.

1. Do you know if we need permission from USF Botanical Gardens to hold a swap there?
    2. What time will the swap start?
    3. Where in the Gardens will it be.
    4. I have never been there before to how will I know where to go?

Thanks,
    Judy

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Hey guys

Originally, it was planned as a two person swap, so we did not intend to ask for a permission...now that we have grown, I will swing by and ask. I work on campus, but will be away for the whole next week. I can email, but would rather stop by and do it in person, as I have volunteered there before plenty

It is an open park, in a way, so I do not thinking that having 5-6 people meet and bring their own plants will be a problem. Students are always welcome to go study there...open to public, so to speak :)

Once I ask for an official permission, we can get more details...
    If Botanical Gardens folks do not like the idea of an official swap, nothing stops us from going there and hanging out together, and brining some plants along...right ;)

Atreelady, I am interested in plants from your list, I made myself a small list and will have to find it. I will also try to post my list of what I have to offer pretty soon - need to get plants started and rooted...
    Off the top of my head:

Off the top of my head, I have to share:
    Lemon basil
    Blue Flag Iris, bog or water plant
    Lotus seeds, good for bog - I will start seeds if anyone is interested
    Various ferns...
    Tibouchinias, two varieties
    Lakeview jasmine, plants
    LA iris, seeds - we can wait till I have them growing, to do trade
    Dwarf powderpuff, seedlings
    Blackberry lilies
    Some OGRs - but do take a white to root
    Red geraniums - I already started a few

Here is lotus, blooming second year, from seed (roughly 2.5 years to get to blooming size from seed)
    {{gwi:767770}}

Olya

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

Olya, I would love a lotus seed start. I was trying to get some seeds started too before the swap. I figure I will bring whatever I have and see who wants it since there's not too many of us.

Thanks

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Will start some seeds for lotus, Martina
    First year the plant will need to be in a container with water, but later one can be adjusted to grow in wet bog

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

Olya,
    I would also like a lotus, some ferns, drarf powder puff, red geraniums, lemon basil, and a tibouchinias.
    Just let me know what you want from my list.

• maryataylor_2008
    15 years ago

I am also getting into house plants right now if anyone wants to bring some house plants that would be great with me. I have
    Hoya stripes
    golden pothos
    green pothos
    sring of pearls
    string of bananas
    varigated jade
    polvian
    Christmas cacti
    green spider
    green/white spider
    white/green spider
    carolina spider ( has curly leaves)
    night blooming cypress
    silver wandering jew
    varigated wandering jew
    purple heart wandering jew ( can be in pot or outside in ground)
    lipstick plant
    christmas kanalochea 2 kinds
    round cacti
    aloe
    mother in laws tounge the green kind
    I would really like house plants that I do not have right now. Please let me know if you all want some of these, because I am not bringing all of these unless some of you have asked for some. To those of you that Have already asked for some of these. I have them on my list. if there are other plants you want to add to you list just let me know. Thanks for this swap, I am so excited. Mary.

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Olya, I would love a lotus seed start. I am also interested in blue flag iris, tibouchina, dwarf powder puff, and lakeview jasmine if they are available. When you find your list, let me know what you would like from me.

I will be bringing a few extra things too if they root. I have fan flower on my list of things to trade, but the clippings to not seem to be rooting well.

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

Are we still set to go this Saturday? I've been getting all of my plant babies potted up to bring.

Can't wait.

Martina

• atreelady
    15 years ago

I am getting ready too. Martina, you haven't given me the list of what you want me to bring for you.

Did we decide on a time? and exact the location in the gardens?

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Sorry, guys, I was away for some time, on travel

Treelady, I am interested in:
    Mexican Flame Vine - Senecio confusus Britten - I am trying a cutting and I don't think it is working...I am trying layering but I don't think it will be done in time.
    Pink primrose - Oenothera speciosa
    Coleus and Perilla(I think) rooted cuttings
    Butterfly weed cuttings and seedlings (red/gold/orange flowers)- Asclepias tuberos

I will get the things you are interested in started ASAP

Time - up to you
    Place...we can meet at the front, near butterfly garden. Or close to their shop

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Ariel, are you coming? I have a bunch from your list I am interested in...would you like anything from my stuff?

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Olya, Thanks for your list. I will set them aside with your name on them. The flame vine is rooting :)

Martina - I am sorry. I got your list and I have your things ready.

Ariel - I emailed you but never heard from you. If you didn't get my email and want to trade please let me know.

Butterfly gardens sound n i c e :) but is there SHADE nearby? Shade would be verrry nice. Is there a place to park nearby so we don't have to lug plants a long distance? What does everyone else think? Any time is fine with me, but I am coming from Orlando so real early would not be great for me. Any time from 10am on is good for me.

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

Judy, I emailed my list on 6/12. Will reforward it.

10 am sounds good. For the plants I have set trades for, I will have them in boxes so they'll be easy just to transfer from my car to yours. I'll bring extra boxes/lids for anyone who needs them. I will also have extra plants for the taking. I think we should park where we can find spots. We won't be too far from each other. I plan to look in the garden shop too to see what I need. :)

Martina

• ariel73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I plan on going.
    Sorry I have not responded to emails. I have had some problems with my email.
    Some of you mentioned I have some plants you are interested in. Please post them here and I will bring them.
    I also plan on bringing extra plants with me.
    I am looking forward to seeing everyone.
    Thanks,
    Ariel

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Hey, Ariel

These are the plants I am interested in - of course, if you do not have them all, or do not have enough, since I am asking for quite a few, I will let you decide which ones you can bring :)
    coleus -
    wild matts cherry tomatoes
    bulbine -yellow and yellow/orange
    Ceratotheca triloba- african foxgloves- white - i want to try it again...mine did not come back after winter :(
    Helianthus angustifolius
    salvia iodantha
    and maybe, a cutting of african blue basil?

Thank you!
    Olya

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Ariel, I am glad you are coming. You have some really cool plants to trade. Your yard must be amazing. I would love any of the items below that are available. I'm sorry the list is so long (Please feel free to edit it) but you have such neat stuff. Please let me know what you would like from my list.
    - Any bananas
    - Helianthus angustifolius
    - bulbine - yellow/orange
    - chinese rain bells
    - salvia- coral nymph
    - salvia iodantha
    - orange tulip ginger
    - green mountain ginger
    - Kewense ginger

Thank you,
    Judy

• atreelady
    15 years ago

I have a couple moringa oleifera seeds that have just sprouted. Does anyone want me to bring one for them?

• atreelady
    15 years ago

I am looking at the map at
    http://www.cas.usf.edu/garden/visiting.htm
    I see only 1 parking area with the plant shop to the left and the palm garden to the right. I am thinking that is where we will be parking? Martina, boxes is a good idea. I will do that too. So are we meeting in the parking area then?

If I remember I will wear a name tag. My DH is driving and we will be in a green chevie blazer.

• Martina DeLuca
    15 years ago

Judy,

I would love one of your Moringa oleifera seedlings.

You have the right parking spot. There isn't much parking space there. Some of us will have to go to the right side versus parking right in front of the garden shop.

Thanks
    Martina

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Just confirming - So we are meeting in the USF Botanical Gardens parking lot at 10am on Saturday July 5?

I have everyone's plants together except Ariel's. Ariel, I hope you can find some things you would like on my list of available plants.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Have a nice 4th.

Judy

• ariel73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judy,
    I would love to have-
    Spanish iris - Dietes bicolor
    Moringa oleifera seedling
    and any unusual coleus.
    Thanks

I think I will post this on the conversations page to see if anyone else would like to come, even though it would be last minute.

Ariel

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Ariel, I get your plants together tomorrow. Thanks.

Judy

• eilleen
    14 years ago

We are wondering what types of tropical fruits everyone is growing, and where (H. zone) are you located. Here, 1 1/2 hours from Orlando, and 45 minutes from Daytona Beach, we have 1 guanabana, 300 oranges, 3 grapefruits, 3 tangerines, 3 papaya, and 1 guava trees producing without any problem so we would like to know what other fruits trees would grow here. Also we have a kitchen, and herb garden. If your trees are producing fruits then we would like to get some seeds or seedlings.

• johnbirds_embarqmail_com
    12 years ago

I am in S.W florida love variegated plants

• Bren57
    12 years ago

Hi, what town are you in , i am in jacksonville and love to do some trading, i have pink angel trumpets rabbit foot fern, joe pye weed, purple, pink and white mexican petunias, lavendar, double white, and pink altheas, yellow canna lillies, i am sorry i do not know the botanical names to these plants,I have more just can't think of them right now, and i apologize i do not know how to make a"want and have list" please e-mail me if you want to trade and what town you are in

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!