Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Anyone want to do a local trade?

Posted by ariel73 z9FL (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 08 at 11:56

Due to the postage rates getting crazy, and my never ending need for new plants; I would love to do a local trade with someone.

I have-
Raji puri banana
ice cream banana
no name plumies
Perilla 'Magilla'
lots of coleus
wild matts cherry tomatoes
walking iris- yellow and whitle/blue
bulbine -yellow and yellow/orange
canna- russian red
Tithonia Diversifolia cuttings
salvia- coral nymph
Helianthus angustifolius- swamp sunflower
Ceratotheca triloba- african foxgloves- white
Jasminum officinale vine
rooted cuttings of-
chinese rain bells
hypoestes aristata- ribbon bush
Salvia van houttii 'Dancing Flame'
salvia- hot lips
salvia iodantha
gingers- orange tulip, white butterfly, green mountain, Kewense, and more. I just can't remeber right now.

Thanks,
Ariel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Anyone want to do a local trade?

Hi Ariel,

I have the following if you're interested in anything. I also did get a couple perennial blue morning glories rooted....if you were still interested.

Alocasia Macrorrhiza
Alocasia Macrorrhiza albo variegata
Alocasia Macrorrhiza Black stem
Alocasia Odora Aurea variegata (yellow variegated)
Alocasia Sinuata
Alocasia Wentii
Alocasia Wentii Variegata
Xanthosoma Lime Zinger
Colocasia Escuelenta Lime Aide
Colocasia Fallax
Colocasia Black Magic
Calathea Zebrina
Large red leaf Cannas with red flower
Aristolochia Ringens
Thunbergia Sunlady
Passiflora Incense
Crinum augustum 'Queen Emma'
Crinum (pink flowers)
Euphorbia tirucalli (pencil cactus)
Odontonema strictum (red firespike)cuttings
Yellow Milkweed
Pink trumpet vine
Starts of purple porter weed

I'm interested in a few things on your list. If you see anything that interests you on mine, let me know.

Thanks

o

I would love to trade some plants with you!
What would you like from my list?

I am intersted in the morning glory, Alocasia Macrorrhiza albo variegata, Colocasia Escuelenta Lime Aide.
Let me know

Thanks,
Ariel

o

Hi Ariel,

Sorry it took me so long, missed your posting.

I am interested in Salvia van houttii 'Dancing Flame',
salvia- hot lips and a plumeria.

My email address is aroidgardener121@earthlink.net

Thanks
Martina

o

Hi Ariel and Martina

We should set up a swap at USF Botanical Gardens in a month or so :)
Olya

o

Olya,

That sounds like a great idea.
They have some nice shady spots so that we wouldn't get to overwhelmed from the heat and sun.

Ariel

o

Sounds good to me too.

Martina

o

Yey!
I have exchanged wants and haves with Martina already, and Ariel, I will email you a list of things you might be interested...

Olya

o

I would be really interested in going to a swap like this too. I have some brugs, different kinds of cannas, and other plants.

o

we are getting bigger :) Sounds good to me, maryataylor_2008
We should decide on time/date...probably in a month or so, to let everything root?

Olya

o

Sounds fun.

Mary, can you post a list of your plants you have available?

Olya, Ariel, Mary, do you have any preferences for a day? I'm free either Saturday or Sunday for the next month.

o

Friday, Saturday or Sunday generally work. I volunteer every Sunday of the month.
Olya

o

Oops, I meant "every second Sunday of the month"

o

I work a very wierd scedual I will need to know date a few days in advance to get off work unlesss I am already off that day. As for plants I have, I have lots but not for sure names of them all. I have brugs Just starting to get big enough for cuttings,
Cannas red and a few other colors,
japanese purple leaf hibiscus,
purple sweet pot vine
carolina spider plant ( gets curly leaves)
white Easter trumpet lilies
1 cherry shrub
green flame fern
foxtail fern
aligator fern
lipstick plant
string of pearls
blue flax (I think that is what it is)
mother of thousands
I have some red shrimp plant cuttings.
some grape vines
Large green Elephant ears
Lime green EE
Up right EE
I will have to look at what else I have.

o

Mary,

I am interested in a few things on your list, if you can find something on mine to trade for.

I'm interested in the Cherry bush, foxtail fern, Carolina Spider plant and a grape vine.

I'll email Ariel, since we haven't heard back from her to see if we can come up with a date. Do you have prescheduled days off on the weekend? Is there a date that's best for you?

Thanks

o

Any day is good for me I just need to know the day a few days in advance to take off work. I have more plants to bring also. I just need to go out and look. I have never did a swap like this before. Do I just bring what I have to trade or enough for whoever shows up??I am so excited. Been wanting to do this for so long.
I have been looking for a great gunneria start. I sure hope I can find one. If not I guess I will have to order one. Well can't wait. Let me know what day and time.Thanks Mary.

o

Ariel, I am not local, may I come anyways? I love your yard and would really enjoy seeing it again.
Of course if you want to keep it small, I'd understand.

Evelyn
btw, the cotton and sweet almomd you gave me are doing great :-)

o

Evelyn, maybe you could meet with us at USF Botanical Gardens? I know you always have goodies :)
Olya

o

Mary,

I've never done one of these group trades either, but from seeing the threads, some people set up trades and meet there. Others just show up. I have set trades with Ariel and Olya, but I have 2 or 3 of each plant.

I think I will do the same and bring whatever I have extra.

Thanks

o

I will do the same. Just we need to make a date and time. How about July the 20th around 9:30 or 10:00, not too close to the holiday and not the second Sunday. But will be enought tome to root some plants and to find some more? Let me know if this is good for you all are suggest a nother date.

o

June 20th is good for me at 9:30 or 10 am, either works

Martina

o

I would love to get in on the trade also. Not ever having been to an organized plant swap, are there details posted anywhere as far as protocol? I'd hate to assume one just shows up with plants and trades others for them. Sounds too easy and like too much fun.

o

That is what I am doing. I don't think there are any rules. I can't wait. I am so excited.

o

well, a Friday certainly does not work for me. sorry I will have to miss this swap :*(

Evelyn

o

lets do a saturday or a sunday then....Friday might now work for a lot of people...Maybe beginning of july, so everything roots?
Olya

o

I would like to do a local plant exchange. Has a date or place been set yet?

o

nope...still debating :)
how about first weekend of July? Or Saturday, the second weekend? (Sunday of that weekend I am out for volunteering)
Olya

o

I'm good for the first weekend of July

Martina

o

The first weekend of July is good for me too. Who every said On a Friday, must have simm read my post. I put down July 20th that is a Sunday. I was thinking of things having time to root. Do you all want Sat. or Sunday that weekend? I have been getting things together.

o

I was thinking you meant the 20th of June, reading avoidgardners post. sorry for the confusion.

o

Oh, I see...I thought June 20th, as well :)
I am good for:
First weekend of July
Second weekend: Sat
Third and fourth weekend of July

o

I am alive. Sorry I haven't been around. I have been in and out of town, kids graduating, etc.
Anyways I think my yard is about to go up in flames from the lack of water. I am a bit scared to see how some of my plants are.
I would love to get togehter with everyone. Just let me know when. Saturdays are generally better for me.

Thanks,
Ariel

o

Yay...good to hear from you Ariel. Ok, let's pick a date. It seems Saturday is the day. How's everyone for July 4th weekend....so Saturday, July 5th? If not good, how about 7/12/08?

Also, I'm going to make a list of everything I have extra and can bring with me if there's interest. I've determined that I can't bring it all...so if I have an idea of what you're interested in, I can bring it with me. Also, some of it I have to dig up...so if there's no interest, I won't bring that particular plant.

Thanks!

o

Great. Either July 5th or July 7th will work for me. so if anyone has a preference, decide!
Olya

o

Lets make it July 5th.

o

Aroidgardener,
i am interested in
Albo variegata
odontonema Strictum ( red firespike)
purple porter weed
pink trumpet vine
calathea zebrina
and thumberia sunlady

And Ariel, there are so many things I like from your list.
Mostly like the Ice cream banana and Raji banana, coleus and yellow walking Iris. If you bring more things from your list I would be lad to trade them.
I am going to get a lot of my stuff together to day to see if I add more. I am so looking forward to this. You all have just made my year thanks so much
Mary

o

This sounds like fun. Is it too late to join in?

o

OK, Mary. Got your list.

Atreelady, it's not too late.

o

Oh GOODY! I am new to this. I hope I have something someone wants... Here is what I have:

Purselane -
African iris - Dietes iridioides
Spanish iris - Dietes bicolor
Ferns - sorry I don't know what kind they are.
Tassel weed - Emilia fosbergii
Coleus and Perilla(I think) rooted cuttings
Oyster plant - Tradescantia spathacea
Blanket flower cuttings and a few tiny seedlings
Butterfly weed cuttings and seedlings (red/gold/orange flowers)- Asclepias tuberosa
Swamp bay - Persea palustris - (you can use in cooking like bay leaf)
Pink primrose - Oenothera speciosa
Crepe myrtle seedlings - probably lilac color - one has flower buds so I will know soon
Mother in law tongue (snake grass)- Sansevieria trifasciata
Queen palm seedlings about 1-2' tall
Camphor trees - sml trees, and seedlings
Passion flower vine -
Palmetto - sml
Pine tree seedlings
Sml water oak trees - or bush size
Plantain - Plantago lanceolata L - not the banana
French Dandelion - Taraxacum officinale sativum
Parsley
Sweet potato (or are they yams) cuttings
Phillipine Violet - Barleria polytricha
Variegated flax lily - Dianella tasmanica
Peace lily
mother of thousands seedlings
Pipewort - Eriocaulon aquaticum
Bottle brush - can try a cutting if anyone is interested
Bouganvilla - can try a cutting if anyone is interested
Plumbago - can try a cutting if anyone is interested
Stictocardia beraviensis -can try a cutting if anyone is interested
Mexican Flame Vine - Senecio confusus Britten - I am trying a cutting and I don't think it is working...I am trying layering but I don't think it will be done in time.
Jamaican Butterfly Vine - Dalechampia spathulata - cutting
Fan Flower - Scaevola - cutting
Marsh Mallow - I am trying rooting in water...???

o
RE: emails

I have emailed everyone but don't have emails for Mary and Olya.

Mary, if you see things on my list you would like, I would like to trade with you. If you still have any of these available, I am interested in lipstick plant, string of pearls, blue flax, green flame fern,lime green Elephant ears.

Olya, if you see things you like on my list and want to trade, please let me know.

I am really looking forward to this swap.
Judy

o

Atreelady, I am new to this site I have not figured out a lot of things yet. I have all that you have asked for to bring, I am interested in a few things on your list.
Spanish Iris
ferns
passion flower vine
peace lily
butterfly weed
fan flower
jamacian butterfly vine
and Mexican flame vine.
I will be bringing other thing not on the list I posted as well.

o

Great Mary. I will get those together for you. I have started rooting the cuttings and hopefully they will take. If you still have some, and if it is not too much trouble could I get some foxtail fern too? Thanks.

Judy

o

where is the trade, what city?

o

Journey149, it is in Tampa.

o

Easter794 I tried to email you and it didn't work. If are coming to the swap and want to trade with me please email me.

o
RE: swap details

Having never been to a swap before, I have some questions.

1. Do you know if we need permission from USF Botanical Gardens to hold a swap there?
2. What time will the swap start?
3. Where in the Gardens will it be.
4. I have never been there before to how will I know where to go?

Thanks,
Judy

o

Hey guys

Originally, it was planned as a two person swap, so we did not intend to ask for a permission...now that we have grown, I will swing by and ask. I work on campus, but will be away for the whole next week. I can email, but would rather stop by and do it in person, as I have volunteered there before plenty

It is an open park, in a way, so I do not thinking that having 5-6 people meet and bring their own plants will be a problem. Students are always welcome to go study there...open to public, so to speak :)

Once I ask for an official permission, we can get more details...
If Botanical Gardens folks do not like the idea of an official swap, nothing stops us from going there and hanging out together, and brining some plants along...right ;)

Atreelady, I am interested in plants from your list, I made myself a small list and will have to find it. I will also try to post my list of what I have to offer pretty soon - need to get plants started and rooted...
Off the top of my head:

Off the top of my head, I have to share:
Lemon basil
Blue Flag Iris, bog or water plant
Lotus seeds, good for bog - I will start seeds if anyone is interested
Various ferns...
Tibouchinias, two varieties
Lakeview jasmine, plants
LA iris, seeds - we can wait till I have them growing, to do trade
Dwarf powderpuff, seedlings
Blackberry lilies
Some OGRs - but do take a white to root
Red geraniums - I already started a few

Here is lotus, blooming second year, from seed (roughly 2.5 years to get to blooming size from seed)

Olya

o

Olya, I would love a lotus seed start. I was trying to get some seeds started too before the swap. I figure I will bring whatever I have and see who wants it since there's not too many of us.

Thanks

o

Will start some seeds for lotus, Martina
First year the plant will need to be in a container with water, but later one can be adjusted to grow in wet bog

o

Olya,
I would also like a lotus, some ferns, drarf powder puff, red geraniums, lemon basil, and a tibouchinias.
Just let me know what you want from my list.

o

I am also getting into house plants right now if anyone wants to bring some house plants that would be great with me. I have
Hoya stripes
golden pothos
green pothos
sring of pearls
string of bananas
varigated jade
polvian
Christmas cacti
green spider
green/white spider
white/green spider
carolina spider ( has curly leaves)
night blooming cypress
silver wandering jew
varigated wandering jew
purple heart wandering jew ( can be in pot or outside in ground)
lipstick plant
christmas kanalochea 2 kinds
round cacti
aloe
mother in laws tounge the green kind
I would really like house plants that I do not have right now. Please let me know if you all want some of these, because I am not bringing all of these unless some of you have asked for some. To those of you that Have already asked for some of these. I have them on my list. if there are other plants you want to add to you list just let me know. Thanks for this swap, I am so excited. Mary.

o

Olya, I would love a lotus seed start. I am also interested in blue flag iris, tibouchina, dwarf powder puff, and lakeview jasmine if they are available. When you find your list, let me know what you would like from me.

I will be bringing a few extra things too if they root. I have fan flower on my list of things to trade, but the clippings to not seem to be rooting well.

o

Hello everyone,

Are we still set to go this Saturday? I've been getting all of my plant babies potted up to bring.

Can't wait.

Martina

o

I am getting ready too. Martina, you haven't given me the list of what you want me to bring for you.

Did we decide on a time? and exact the location in the gardens?

o

Sorry, guys, I was away for some time, on travel

Treelady, I am interested in:
Mexican Flame Vine - Senecio confusus Britten - I am trying a cutting and I don't think it is working...I am trying layering but I don't think it will be done in time.
Pink primrose - Oenothera speciosa
Coleus and Perilla(I think) rooted cuttings
Butterfly weed cuttings and seedlings (red/gold/orange flowers)- Asclepias tuberos

I will get the things you are interested in started ASAP

Time - up to you
Place...we can meet at the front, near butterfly garden. Or close to their shop

o
Ariel!

Ariel, are you coming? I have a bunch from your list I am interested in...would you like anything from my stuff?

o

Olya, Thanks for your list. I will set them aside with your name on them. The flame vine is rooting :)

Martina - I am sorry. I got your list and I have your things ready.

Ariel - I emailed you but never heard from you. If you didn't get my email and want to trade please let me know.

Butterfly gardens sound n i c e :) but is there SHADE nearby? Shade would be verrry nice. Is there a place to park nearby so we don't have to lug plants a long distance? What does everyone else think? Any time is fine with me, but I am coming from Orlando so real early would not be great for me. Any time from 10am on is good for me.

o

Judy, I emailed my list on 6/12. Will reforward it.

10 am sounds good. For the plants I have set trades for, I will have them in boxes so they'll be easy just to transfer from my car to yours. I'll bring extra boxes/lids for anyone who needs them. I will also have extra plants for the taking. I think we should park where we can find spots. We won't be too far from each other. I plan to look in the garden shop too to see what I need. :)

Martina

o

Yes, I plan on going.
Sorry I have not responded to emails. I have had some problems with my email.
Some of you mentioned I have some plants you are interested in. Please post them here and I will bring them.
I also plan on bringing extra plants with me.
I am looking forward to seeing everyone.
Thanks,
Ariel

o

Hey, Ariel

These are the plants I am interested in - of course, if you do not have them all, or do not have enough, since I am asking for quite a few, I will let you decide which ones you can bring :)
coleus -
wild matts cherry tomatoes
bulbine -yellow and yellow/orange
Ceratotheca triloba- african foxgloves- white - i want to try it again...mine did not come back after winter :(
Helianthus angustifolius
salvia iodantha
and maybe, a cutting of african blue basil?

Thank you!
Olya

o

Ariel, I am glad you are coming. You have some really cool plants to trade. Your yard must be amazing. I would love any of the items below that are available. I'm sorry the list is so long (Please feel free to edit it) but you have such neat stuff. Please let me know what you would like from my list.
- Any bananas
- Helianthus angustifolius
- bulbine - yellow/orange
- chinese rain bells
- salvia- coral nymph
- salvia iodantha
- orange tulip ginger
- green mountain ginger
- Kewense ginger

Thank you,
Judy

o
RE: HAVE: Anyone want moringa?

I have a couple moringa oleifera seeds that have just sprouted. Does anyone want me to bring one for them?

o
RE: HAVE: parking & locating eachother

I am looking at the map at
http://www.cas.usf.edu/garden/visiting.htm
I see only 1 parking area with the plant shop to the left and the palm garden to the right. I am thinking that is where we will be parking? Martina, boxes is a good idea. I will do that too. So are we meeting in the parking area then?

If I remember I will wear a name tag. My DH is driving and we will be in a green chevie blazer.

o

Judy,

I would love one of your Moringa oleifera seedlings.

You have the right parking spot. There isn't much parking space there. Some of us will have to go to the right side versus parking right in front of the garden shop.

Thanks
Martina

o

Just confirming - So we are meeting in the USF Botanical Gardens parking lot at 10am on Saturday July 5?

I have everyone's plants together except Ariel's. Ariel, I hope you can find some things you would like on my list of available plants.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Have a nice 4th.

Judy

o

Judy,
I would love to have-
Spanish iris - Dietes bicolor
Moringa oleifera seedling
and any unusual coleus.
Thanks

I think I will post this on the conversations page to see if anyone else would like to come, even though it would be last minute.

Ariel

o

Ariel, I get your plants together tomorrow. Thanks.

Judy

o

We are wondering what types of tropical fruits everyone is growing, and where (H. zone) are you located. Here, 1 1/2 hours from Orlando, and 45 minutes from Daytona Beach, we have 1 guanabana, 300 oranges, 3 grapefruits, 3 tangerines, 3 papaya, and 1 guava trees producing without any problem so we would like to know what other fruits trees would grow here. Also we have a kitchen, and herb garden. If your trees are producing fruits then we would like to get some seeds or seedlings.

o

I am in S.W florida love variegated plants

o

Hi, what town are you in , i am in jacksonville and love to do some trading, i have pink angel trumpets rabbit foot fern, joe pye weed, purple, pink and white mexican petunias, lavendar, double white, and pink altheas, yellow canna lillies, i am sorry i do not know the botanical names to these plants,I have more just can't think of them right now, and i apologize i do not know how to make a"want and have list" please e-mail me if you want to trade and what town you are in

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Florida are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here