Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdbinfl

HAVE: Sept. 27, Jupiter Farms Plant Swap,

cdbinfl
14 years ago

I am planning a Plant Swap at my house in Jupiter Farms, Sunday, Sept. 27. I don't have fantastic gardens to look at and wander through, but I do have a good size back patio area for the swap and plenty of room to park. We will have a lunch and possibly a field trip afterward to Hammock Tropical Garden, a local nurseryman here in Jupiter Farms

I have not posted much lately, but have been to several of Ricky's swaps and have met quite a few of you in the past. I have been wanting to host a swap for the past several years and since Ricky is not planning one this Fall, I thought it would be a good time to have one.

Please post if you have any interest and we can start planning swap lists, food lists, etc.

Cherie

Comments (150)

• katieauthier
    14 years ago

Hi Cliff
    The Blue butterfly and agave are all yours

Katie

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

Doesn't anyone want some rooted cuttings of plumerias or beginner hoya?
    I also have one tiny rooted blue weeping Ginger. î

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

Ok my heliconia lovers, I found a partial map. I think i' ve identified giant lobster claw, caribean sunset I , wagernia sp?, dorado gold, and tropica. Tropica is the only one that has bloomed for me. Caribean and tropica seem the most vigorious.

Cliff. I killed off my alpinia, would you happen to have a piece for me, either color?

• ginibee
    14 years ago

WRF - You have a great list of Heliconias. Whatever you can spare that would work in z9b I would love as I have none of those and that happens to be my new 'must have' plant. I've got a few plants set aside for you. Anything else I might bring you. I can try a cutting of dwarf ylang ylang, but haven't tried to root one yet. I also have a light pink crinum that gets 2-3 feet tall I just dug up, so it would be a big bulb.

Ginny

• katieauthier
    14 years ago

Wanna Run - what is the blue weeping ginger sounds beautiful. And I love Heliconias what can I bring you?

Cliff - ever tried to Bonsai the Poincianas I'll try your seedlings

Katie

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Helen, how about a piece of dorado gold for the La irises? ;o)

• shellfreak
    14 years ago

Does anyone want me to start some tomatoes for them? I have Roma, Cherry and Brandywine.

WRF- If you have any extra lobster claw I'd love one.

I'm gonna go through the yard this weekend and update my list.

Beverly

• stuartwanda
    14 years ago

Cliff, I have 3 colors of crape murtle for you if you make it. I just hope they make the potting up.

• tropicalfreak
    14 years ago

Thanks Katie! FUnny on the Bonsai thing as I was thinking the same...have you tried this? I will put you down for.

Helen, Yes, I have some more alpinia I can bring for you.

StuartWanda, If you like you can wait til the day before or day of and dig up and put into some water? And then I can deal with the potting up when I bring home?? Thanks by the way.

Has anyone heard from Coffeemom? Is she ok?

Cliff

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

I'm here but exhausted. It's been a rough 2 weeks. I can't tell you enough how much your encouraging words meant to me. Garden buddies are the best! I'll post more on Conversations so you can get back to swappin'!
    Bless you guys.

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Does anyone have bloodlily? I would really like one or two.
    Kat

• ginibee
    14 years ago

Kat, I'll bring you a couple.

Ginny

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Thanks Ginny! I will bring you a couple butterfly plants.
    Kat

• teka2rjleffel
    14 years ago

I also have a Thunbergia grandiflora (sky flower), gorgeous blue flowers, but a large vine, I don't have room for. Anyone interested?

Has a food list been started?
    Nancy

• cdbinfl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, we haven't started an official food list. We will barbeque or smoke something, burgers or pulled pork and chicken. I'll take care of buns, paper goods, plastic ware, etc. We can start a list of side dishes.

Also, if you want to send me an e-mail, I will start sending out directions. My e-mail address is: cherieblick@bellsouth.net. Make sure you identify your self by your Gardenweb name if it is not obvious, so I will know who I have sent directions to and who still needs them.

Cherie

• teka2rjleffel
    14 years ago

Ginny I have a few spots that I could fill in with spider plants if the offer is still open. Thanks

Also I am planning to bring a romaine salad with roasted peppers, roasted walnuts and gorgonzola cheese.

Nancy

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Nancy, I have a few extra spider plants. Yum! your salad sounds de-lish!
    Here are a few more plants I can bring
    water hyssop-baccopa
    native Fl mint
    native salvia (red) I also have pink, white and coral nymph
    fire bush
    firespike lots of red, some pink and some purple
    Juncus effusus 'Spiralis' this was very popular at Ricky's
    swap
    Red-Leaf Hibiscus aka False Roselle
    lots of different coleus!!!
    a few dendrobium - purple
    deep pink crinum lilies
    bromeliad deep wine with green spots and pink tips

I am sure I have more plants I will bring

looking for white den superbum
    Kat

• ginibee
    14 years ago

Nancy - I'll bring spider plants

Kat - I have a pretty white dendrobium, but it's not superbum. I had to google that one - Wow!!

Cherie - I'll bring potato salad if no one else has listed it.

Ginny

• cdbinfl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy, your salad sounds great and so does Ginny's potato salad.

I'll send out directions to those that have e-mailed as soon as I put something together.

Katie, The Alocasia Sarian went kaput. It was doing so well until I divided it and I must have potted in soil that did not drain enough, and they all rotted. Can I offer you something else, like Colocasia Nancy's Revenge or Alocasia Plumbea Nigra?

I also gave one to Katkin and I am sure it did not make it either, so I will come up with something else for her as well. I know her computer is down right now.

I'm looking forward to the swap and have been busy getting ready!
    Cherie

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

Cherie, I can bring dessert or a pasta salad, or whatever. î.

Kat, I would love one of your criniums and one of your broms. I can bring you a brom or two. I also have one or two starts of hedychium flavuum...the scent is awesome and the butterflies seem to like it too. Anyone want some crepe Ginger or what I think is Indian head Ginger?

What is that pretty salomony-pink shrub or small tree that is blooming right now? I thought maybe it was a mussandra ( sp?) but on gardinos website it says that's a winter bloomer. Anyway, if anyone has a small start you can spare t would love it.

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say I am up and running again thanks to DH.

Cherie, so far everything I got from you is doing fine. I planted them all out in the garden. Thankfully we had a wonderful rain last night finally.

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Helen you got it! How agressive is the hedychium flavuum?
    Kat

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Cherie, I spoke too soon, I just went out and looked at the sarian and it only has one sad leave left. Does it go down for the winter? If they do they sometimes will go early if transplanted.

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

Kat, it s not aggressive at all and it stays upright, where you put it and at around three feet tall in afternoon sun. It blooms repeatedly and the scent is unbelieveable. You can even plant it at the middle or back of a border bed.

Thanks!
    Helen

• ginibee
    14 years ago

WRF - do you have an extra on the H. flav. I had it once and loved it, but it hasn't bloomed anywhere in the last couple of years, so I guess I lost it somehow.

Does anyone have the variegated A. gamosepala (matchstick bromeliad) to swap? I have several bromeliads I could send pictures of if I don't know the names. Also have some other variegated plants if interested.

Ginny

• ginibee
    14 years ago

WRF - forgot to mention, I will try to start you the salmon Mussaenda, but I can't promise success.

Ginny

• cdbinfl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Helen, a dessert would be nice as we don't have anyone bringing one yet.

• katieauthier
    14 years ago

Hi everyone have a massive virus on our computer at work where I do most of my work sooo

Cherie - anything would make me happy either one is beautiful

Butterflygardener - ooh you have several things I would love the Broms and for our butterfly garden at the zoo the native mint and salvia what do you need ?

For food I can bring either the taco salad I brought to Rickys or a sweet an sour mini barbacued rib (my kids love these)

Katie

• shellfreak
    14 years ago

Cherie- What time does the swap start? I can either bring a tropical fruit salad or garden-themed cookies. Let me know.

Beverly

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Katie~ That Sweet shrub sounds interesting, is it still available? I will bring you the plants you requested. You should really come by sometime and get cuttings.
    Kat

• teka2rjleffel
    14 years ago

Ginny, thanks for the spider plants.
    Kat, how tall is the native mint? Also what light do the crinum lilies like?
    Thanks
    Nancy

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Nancy the mint is 4-6 inches tall, and the crinums have been in part shade. They can grow in full sun as well.
    Kat

• cdbinfl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Katie and Beverly, either one sounds fine, I'll leave it up to you.

Why don't we set our start time for 9:30? I'm sure not everyone will arrive at the same time, which is also fine. We can do our swaps and chat, have lunch and then possibly make a side trip to a local grower who lives nearby. How does that sound to everyone?

• shellfreak
    14 years ago

Cherie:

9:30 sounds good. My nephew is coming home from Iraq and we are having a family get together later in the day. It will be a busy day :)

Beverly

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a canna, Stuttgart, to trade? That is the variegated one. :o)

• jupiterplants
    14 years ago

Hi everybody , I got my list together
    Calathea :
    Dottie ( 1)
    Network aka mosaic (1)

Bromeliads:
    Aechmea
    Zebrina ( pink form ) (1)
    Correau aroujai (1)
    Fendleri (2)

Neo
    Tiger (1)
    Picasso (1)

Hohenbergia
    Fudge ripple (2)

Fortnight lily (1)
    Blackberry lily (1)
    caladium: Yellow blossom (1)
    Forsythia sage (2)

I have ( 1)pitch apple ( clusia rosa ) and (2) single ragoon creeper vines that need some attention.
    My bromeliad aec " Blue tango" Mother plant threw pups for the second time. They are a bit small.
    If you want one, let me know and I will save one for you this spring.

DH has taken and interest in growing veggies. I have a bunch of seeds should anyone want to give it a try.
    Thanks, D`Ann

• ginibee
    14 years ago

D'ann - would love your Hohenbergia fudge ripple if you have enough to spare.

Do you see anything from my list above or what would you be interested in? I have several bromeliads, but unfortunately most of the names are gone.

Ginny

• katieauthier
    14 years ago

Jupiterplants - I am interested in both your Neos if I have something of interest to you.

Butterfly - I will save a Sweet Shrub for you would love to get cuttings lol

Anybody have any Lotus I can't seem to get these to grow from seeds for me

Katie

• ginibee
    14 years ago

Thought I would post a list of what's promised so far as I don't want to forget anything. If you've asked for something and it's not here, PLMK.

Cherie - Justicia 'fruit cocktail', C. 'coal miner'

zoo-katie - X. 'lime zinger',C. teacup, Dianthera nodosa, Justicia spicigera, orange clivia

shellfreak (Bev) - H. augustifolia (swamp sunflower), ???

WRF (Helen) - Petrea volibulis, Beaumontia murtoni, Clero. wallichii, Justicia spiciger (orange)

teka2.. (Nancy) - Ti plants, copperleaf 'mardi gras',cannas,asparagus fern, spider plants

Cliff - crepe myrtle 'Nachez' seedling

Kat - Blood lily

Please let me know if I left you off the list, or if you want anything from my list. The Ti plants are listed in a separate post with pictures.

Ginny

• jupiterplants
    14 years ago

Ginny , I marked off one of the fudge ripples for you...... it would be great to get xantho lime zinger.

zookatie , both of the neos are yours. I don`t have the cordyline luchia and bolero.. would love them !

If any of the plants I have asked for have been taken just think of me next year . :)
    Lots of family stuff for me now, so I haven`t kept up with the posting

I have notice that there's been an interest in both cordyline and copperleafs I don`t have all the name of my tee plants, but I do have a list of the copperleafs.

I have the following KNOWN copperleaf's in my yard
    Bronze Margnata
    Musaica
    Sunrise
    Loco
    Hetrophylla

It is too late in the year for me to start them now , but I will write your name down and start some plants for you guys in the spring.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

D'ann, is 1 of those fudge ripples for me? I would also like the mosaic calathea.

Helen, do you have an extra tuber of the heliconia I gave you? It did well for you but I killed mine. I'd like to try again.

Nancy, my pink ixora are Nora Grant. Is that the pink you were looking for or is mine considered salmon colored.

• jupiterplants
    14 years ago

Kristy,

I went through your photobucket and copy/ pasted the ones that I liked.

You got mail :)

• ginibee
    14 years ago

D'ann - Thanks. I've got you down for a X. 'lime zinger'.

Ginny

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

D'Ann, any more fudge ripple? ;o)

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

I have a few more items worth listing Ipomoea coccinea or scarlet morning glory. A favorite of hummingbirds and listed as a native on the IFAS publication at the link below. Warning is does reseed readily if seeds not removed. Dies back in summer. New plants pop up in Fall.

Also I have several white containers some glazed some not. I am collecting green containers especially the old time planters. Anyone interested in the white? anyone have green?
    Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea coccinea

• jupiterplants
    14 years ago

Thanks Ginny :)
    Kathy the last F ripple is yours.
    Neos gone
    Calatha network is gone.

Who wanted the blackberry lily ?

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

D'ann, what are you looking for? ;o)

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Cliff was looking for blackberry lily,D'ann.

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Kat, if no one wants the pot and you haven't a use for them, I'll take them. :o)

• cdbinfl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have two divisions of this white butterfly ginger potted up and available - it is very, very fragrant. Sorry, don't know the official name, got it in a swap years ago. The fragrance is fabulous.

Cherie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?