Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

o
HAVE: Sept. 27, Jupiter Farms Plant Swap,

Posted by cdbinfl z10FL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 11:21

I am planning a Plant Swap at my house in Jupiter Farms, Sunday, Sept. 27. I don't have fantastic gardens to look at and wander through, but I do have a good size back patio area for the swap and plenty of room to park. We will have a lunch and possibly a field trip afterward to Hammock Tropical Garden, a local nurseryman here in Jupiter Farms
I have not posted much lately, but have been to several of Ricky's swaps and have met quite a few of you in the past. I have been wanting to host a swap for the past several years and since Ricky is not planning one this Fall, I thought it would be a good time to have one.

Please post if you have any interest and we can start planning swap lists, food lists, etc.

Cherie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Sept. 27, Jupiter Farms Plant Swap,

It sounds good. My new passion is Cordyline, so I'm looking for any cordyline and dark colored sun lovers. I'll look around and see what I have to swap. I'd be happy to bring some item for lunch too.
Nancy

o

I'd be really interested if it isn't too far. How far from Orlando is it? Have plenty to trade

o

Hi Nancy, Looks like most people have posted on the discussions page, but we will switch over to the exchanges page once people start posting what they have to swap. If you go to look for it, it may be on page 2 now. I'll try and see if I can bump it up to the first page again.

Gardencraze,
I am guessing it is a min. of 1.5 hours minimum depending on where in Orlando you are. Jupiter is between Stuart and West Palm Beach, if that helps. There may be others from your area and perhaps you could car pool.

Cherie

o

I'd like to come to your swap :)

Evelyn

o

Would to hvae you Evelyn!

FYI, the zip code is 33478 in case anyone wants to mapquest or google to see how far away it is. I'll be sending out directions to those who are interested later.

o

Nancy, I have some cordyline if you want, I'll get some started soon.

o

Hi All,
I am going to try very hard to get to this swap daughter is on travel soccer team so don't know schedule yet.

Nancy,
I love Cordylines also have you looked at the International Cordyline Society website? check out the New Guinea Fan cordyline its gorgeous I want one.

Katie

o

Cherie,

I'll be able to come too. I'll post my list later.

I'm a cordyline lover too and would love to swap for some I don't have. Nancy I'll have some for you.

Katie, I've been drooling on that site ever since it was posted and that fan cordyline is out of this world (well, this country anyway) I couldn't find the name of it, so glad you could.

Ginny

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 19:49

Better late then never, I want the fan cordyline too. lol

I am going to try to come with Ginny. ;o)

o

Great! I'm putting my list together of what I have to offer and will post it this weekend.

Cherie

o

Cherie, I'd love to attend!

What can I bring?

Lisa

o

Great Lisa!

I have not started planning a menu yet, hoping to get my husband to man the grill for us (I'm sure he will). We will plan on having people bring a side dish, will do a sign up list later.

I know you usually bring a tent to Ricky's, you can use our covered pavillion if you want to do something similar. I love how you always bring your exotic fruits for tasting!

Cherie

o

I agree, Lisa always has fruit to taste.
Nancy, I must confess, what I thought was cordyline I think is a dracaena? I'll bring a few cuttings and if you like it you can take it. If not, I can always leave it, ;) Just kidden!

o

Sun, Aug 9, 09 at 7:18

I have two bromeliads that could be thinned, portea forestiana and portea petropolitan, what do you have? It has to be worth it to me as these guys are big and will take up half my car.

o

Here is a first draft of what I have to offer. Please let me know if interested in anything, some of it I will need to dig up and divide as people request it, others I already have fully rooted in pots.

Variegated Costus Speciosus - "Crepe Ginger"
Pinecone Ginger (aka Shampoo Ginger)
Hedychium - White Butterfly Ginger - fragrant
Hedychium - Peach color, unknown variety
Ginger - Narrow Leaf Nutans
Ginger -Alpina Formosa Pinstripe
Alocasia Plumbea Nigra
Variegated heliconia psitacorum El Tigre
Common Green Elephant Ears - several trades
Alocasia Sarian
Colocasia Esculenta - Black Magic
Plumeria Pudica - let me know, will need to start cuttings
Rooted Plumeria - yellow flower, fragrant
Begonia - odorata alba (fragrant)
Clerondendron Speciossissimum, Glory Bower
Jatropha Multifidia - lots!
Copperleaf - Haleakula - Dark curly leaves
Copperleaf - Irish petticoat
Copperleaf - Pink petticoat
Copperleaf - Wilkesiana (Red)
Copperleaf - Wilkesiana godseffiana
Bromeliad - Aechmea Blanchetiana pups - full sun
Bromeliad - Aechmea 'Del Mar' pup
Heliconia Stricta, Dwarf Jamacaii
Heliconia rauliniana (let me know, will have to dig up)
Variegated Rubber Tree - In a pot
Cassia - Yellow Candle Stick - seedlings
Seagrape Babies
Cardboard Palm babies

I'm sure I'll be adding some other stuff later, as I'm going through to see what can be divided.

Cherie

o

I was also looking around and here is a partial list. I hope to post some pictures late next week.

Dianthera nodosa 'Brazil' - small shrub, weeping branches, pink blooms
Justicia spicigera 'sidicara' - tall with orange plumes
Justicia 'shrimp cocktail'
Xanthosoma 'lime zinger' - (2 trades)
C. 'coal miner'
C. 'teacups' - (2 trades)
Hedychium ginger - peach bloom
Costus woodsonii - red button ginger
Alpinia nutans - false cardamon
Barleria micans - giant yellow shrimp
Strophanthus gratus - climbing oleander (hopefully rooted or cuttings)
Beaumontia murtoni - similar to B. grandiflora Easter lily vine (hopefully rooted)
Clivia - wide leaves, orange blooms (1 trade)

I'll be adding more later and pictures (I hope)

Cherie - I see we like a lot of the same plants. Hope you see something you like from my list as I would love both of your heliconias. Those are on my wish list.

Ginny

o

Here is a first draft of what I have to offer. Please let me know if interested in anything, some of it I will need to dig up and divide as people request it, others I already have fully rooted in pots.

Variegated Costus Speciosus - "Crepe Ginger"
Pinecone Ginger (aka Shampoo Ginger)
Hedychium - White Butterfly Ginger - fragrant
Hedychium - Peach color, unknown variety
Ginger - Narrow Leaf Nutans
Ginger -Alpina Formosa Pinstripe
Alocasia Plumbea Nigra
Variegated heliconia psitacorum El Tigre
Common Green Elephant Ears - several trades
Alocasia Sarian
Colocasia Esculenta - Black Magic
Plumeria Pudica - let me know, will need to start cuttings
Rooted Plumeria - yellow flower, fragrant
Begonia - odorata alba (fragrant)
Clerondendron Speciossissimum, Glory Bower
Jatropha Multifidia - lots!
Copperleaf - Haleakula - Dark curly leaves
Bromeliad - Aechmea Blanchetiana pups - full sun
Bromeliad - Aechmea 'Del Mar' pup
Heliconia Stricta, Dwarf Jamacaii
Heliconia rauliniana (let me know, will have to dig up)
Variegated Rubber Tree - In a pot
Cassia - Yellow Candle Stick - seedlings
Seagrape Babies
Cardboard Palm babies

I'm sure I'll be adding some other stuff later, as I'm going through to see what can be divided.

Cherie

o
Oops!

Don't know how I managed to post that twice and with one from Ginny in the middle!

Ginny we do like the same plants! You can have both of the heliconia. I would love your C. Coal Miner and Justicia spicigera 'sidicara'. I have a similar Justicia with orange blooms but I don't think it is the same one.

Cherie

o

Cherie, thanks, and I'll put your name on a 'coal miner' and j. spicigera. I think there is a j. leonardii, but mine has real full blooms and blooms most all year. It's like this one.

Ginny

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange justicia

o

Stuartwanda, Cherie, thanks I'll be happy to get your cordyline or anything close. I'll start some cuttings also.
Yes Katie, I love that sight. What gorgeous gardens.
I'll try to get my list of offerings here soon.
Nancy

o

Nancy,
That is the same Justicia that I have ! :) I bought it as Justica "Orange plume" and I do love it. So you can offer it to someone else. I don't have the Justicia 'shrimp cocktail' and would love to have that instead.

See you were right, we do have the same taste in plants.

Cherie

o
Would love to come...

Hey there~
I'm way over here in Naples, but would certainly enjoy coming to the swap if my schedule permits it. I'll know more as we get closer. I probably won't have a ton of stuff to trade, but I will have some and it will be great seeing all the neat stuff people have put time into.

o

Ok here is my partial list so far -
Seedlings
Yellow Tabebuia 12in.
Jacaranda 14in.
Hibiscus snow queen ? 24in.
Sweet shrub
I have a wide variety of things I just planted including the 19 varieties of Desert Rose I will have to wait and see on those.

Cuttings
African Tulip tree
Shaving brush tree
Purple Mangosteen
Pink Firespike
Assorted Crotons
Assorted Cordylines Sherbertii, Luchia, Bolero etc.

3 gallons
Canna Intrique
Green wave fern 1gal
Agaves (pls pls take)
Jamacian Croton
Clerodendrum (like bleeding heart but purple and red)
Clerodendrum blue butterfly (Yup still have more)
Clerodemdrum bleeding heart
Clerodendrum shooting star
Tacoma yellow bells 8 to 10 ft.

I will add more as we get closer

cdbinfl
I'm interested in your Alpina formosa, Alocasia sarian any Broms and Heliconias

Ginibee
I like your Lime zinger and the teacups (killed mine)

Katkin
Would love your Broms any interest in a Bottlebrush tree about 7-8 ft? might have a Australian tree fern 3ft. as well

Katie

o

Cherie - I think you meant me instead of Nancy. Ok, I'll change the J. spiciger for the J. 'fruit cocktail'

Katie - putting your name on a X 'lime zinger' and C. 'teacup'. Interested in your canna 'intrique', Sweet shrub seedling, any cordylines I don't have, but not sure my names. I tried to google Luchia, but nothing pulled up.
Also that green wave fern. I see more, but don't want to be too greedy. lol.

Ginny

o

Yes, Ginny, I did mean you and not Nancy, I'm a ditz lately.

Kate, I put you down for Alpina formosa, Alocasia sarian , Bromeliads - Aechmea Blanchetiana pup and Aechmea 'Del Mar' pup.

I have promised out 2 trades of the Heliconia rauliniana but I do have several other large Heliconias that I could share that I am not sure of the variety, I will see if I can find pictures of the blooms. I will also try and get a small piece of the Hel. Dwarf Jamaica for you.

I would be interested in your Clerodendrum blue butterfly and Tacoma yellow bells and possibly a Desert Rose (if they work out)- I killed mine.

Cherie

o

Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 7:46

Katie, I'll pot up those bromeliads for you. :o) I might like that Jamaican croton, if I don't already have it.

o

Ginny lol please get greedy cause I was feeling the same way I liked your Dianthera, Justicia sidicara and the Clivia as well greedy greedy greedy.

Thank you Cherie I will let you know which varieties of the Desert Rose I have would you like several different ones?

I will check on the Cordylines and list the names according to the I.C.S. website for Nancy and Ginny (yes I will stare at the Fan cordy while I'm there)

Katie

o

Katie, then greedy I'll be....... lol. Besides everything else, the Jamaican croton and shaving brush tree.

I'll add your name to the clivia, J. spicigera, and Dianthera.

I will add to my have list by the end of the week as I have a few more plants that need homes.

I love broms, cordylines, heliconias, - well, most anything I don't have. My butterfly garden is outstanding, thanks to all the plants I received at Ricky's and Tanya's swaps. Thanks to all who contributed. I just can't get over how that big, empty space filled in. Now I'm looking for more tropicals.

What is everyone interested in?

Ginny

o

Hi everyone. This is my initial list. Id be happy to start cuttings or separate as needed:

Beauty berry Callicarpa americana
Snowberry Chiococca alba
Firebush- both native & non Hamelia patens
Inkberry Ilex glabra
Prickly pear cactus Opunta stricta
Lizards tail Saururus cernuus
Yellow necklacepod Sophora tomentosa var. truncata
Firespike- purple or red Odontonema strictum
Bahama Marsh Bush Pavonia
Sweet Almond Aloysia virgata
Salvia (Red/White/Pink mix)
Blue Pea vine Clitoria ternatea
Passionvines: Lady Margaret, Edulis, Blue Eyed Susan & Incarnata
Mexican Flame Vine Senecio confusus
Cross Vine Bignonia capreolata L.
Porterweed- blue or pink
Yellow Walking Iris
Blue Walking Iris
Pride of Barbados I have lots of babies.
Popcorn Cassia tree/bush seeds. You cannot believe how good this plant smells.
Christmas Cactus

Zoo- I love some Copperleaf. Any kind.

Beverly

o

Beverly, I would love your Bahama Marsh Bush Pavonia. Anything that attracts hummingbirds is on my list too. If you don't see anything on the short list above, and if Katie doesn't have copperleaf for you, I have several I could root some cuttings.

Ginny

o

Hi Beverly,
Did you mean me for the copperleafs or ZooKatie? I didn't se any on Katie's list.

If you want, you can have one of each of mine. They are all well rooted except Pink petticoat, which I am just starting. I also have a 5th variety but don't know the name of it, but will set one of those aside for you too.

Cherie

o
RE: HAVE: Sept. 27, Jupiter Farms Plant Swap, !!

Beverly, I see Cherie listed the copperleaf and she has a very good selection, but if you don't see anything on my list above, I'll be adding to it the end of the week.

Ginny

o

Ginny,
We must have posted at the same time. Would you have any of the Copperleaf called Inferno?

Katie, Just one Desert Rose is plenty for me, I have some difficulties with Succulents/Cactus types and don't want to kill more than one :)

Cherie

o

Yea I goofed. I meant Cherie for the Copperleaf. Thanks my DH loves Copperleaf.

Ginny- I'll start some Bahama Marsh for you. I love Hummingbirds & butterflies.

Zoo-Katie- I'd love the Jacaranda.

I also have Rangoon Creeper (I'm a vine-a-holic) and will be starting Tomatoes (Cherry, Brandywine and Roma) if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone.

Beverly

o

Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 7:45

Katie, I'd like some of the canna intrique as well, if you have enough. I saw on another post you wanted La iris, I'll bring you some of those too along with the two bromeliads. I just don't know the colors of the LA iris, since they are not blooming now. And yes, I'll take the A. tree fern. ;o)

Cherie, I'd love the alocasia saran and black magic too.

Hey guys, sorry if I am slow to answer, but my pc is acting up. I can read what you post, but have a tough time answering. :o(

o

WOW did we get confused on the Copperleaf I do have some and will take cuttings of all of them and bring them in a big bucket to share I know I have Dragon wing and Java white that haven't been listed oh and Picotee maybe. I can do the same with Crotons and have started all my varities of cordylines to root. Still not sure what they are but oh well. I am caught up with my request list so thats all good.

Shellfreak
I included you in the list of those who want coppers and the Jacaranda. I like your Lizards Tail, Christmas Cactus and Blue walking iris I have some 3 gal. Green Buttonwoods or purple Ruella as well?

Katie

o

Cherie, I don't think I have 'Inferno'. I have 'Raggedy Ann', Mardi Gras, Macrophylla,'Marginata Green' and Hispida red cattails. I hope I named them right. I could root cuttings of any of those.

Does anyone have the Hispida 'white cattails'. Would love to have that one.

Ginny

o

Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 7:24

Katie, I would love those copper plants you mentioned, do you want Bourban St?

o

Katie- I'll pot up the Lizard tail, Christmas cactus and blue walking iris for you. A green buttonwood would be nice, thanks.

Beverly

o

FOOOOD. No one is planting food. No one agrees with my Golden Rule - If I cant eat it I am not planting it (Salad does not qualify). I am so hurt. I am so dissapointed. I am so depressed. I am going to go sit in a corner and cry.
You see what you have done!! you made me cry! I hope you are happy now.
Hope I can make it. If I do I will have white lady guava, pommegranate, maybe a papaya - See this is all stuff you can eat!!!

o

Oh Jay
did you miss my cutting of purple Mangosteen lol. And Beverly was starting Tomatoes. I'm going now to plant mini sweet and sour beef ribs. Also I would love a Pommegranate

Katkin - I would love the Bourban

Beverly - I will bring you a nice Buttonwood

o

Jay, My husband and I decided the rest of the yard with sun is for fruit and veggies only .

I got TONS of veggie seeds ( mostly heirloom ) and I am going to be starting them soon. You are welcome to some if you want.

We are devolving the yard where we hold allot of rainwater. We plan to dig a 10 x 30 retention trench . I am going to put a few extra raised planters there ( mainly vines) and some fruit trees.
I need to separated some of the veggie to avoid cross- pollination.

I also think it will be the perfect place for my snot apple I got from Veronika.

If anybody want seeds you are welcome to them.

o

Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 13:29

Jay, you are too funny. Don't you know man -- and woman ---can't live by bread alone. I'm with your wife, I need flowers. :o) Please bring her this time!!!!!

Bev, do you have double blue pea vine? I can bring you one. I love vines too. :o) And a no-eye Susan?

o

Ok, I'm the world's worst at taking pictures and I hope I get this right. I've made an album of the cordylines I have cuttings of to bring, but I don't know the names, so I made a picture and numbered them. If anyone sees one they want their name on LMK. I have 2 trades of 1-5 and one trade each of 6-8.

Sorry Jay, so edibles. lol.

Hope this works

o

Katkin- I do have a double blue pea vine. I'd love a no-eye Susan though.

Jay- I'd love a pommegranate if you have an extra. Your garden is awesome-- I've seen the pics you've posted.

Roaming through the yard this morning-- I forgot I have Malabar spinach that's throwing off lots of babies and I have lots of Rosemary if anyone's interested.

Beverly

o

Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 12:46

Bev, I've got the Susan for you, that's a seeding. What about a allamanda cherries jubulie? Or a bleeding heart vine? I have suckers of both of those, I could dig up. :o)

o

I think I have my list completed now so will put it all here in one posting.

Dianthera nodosa 'Brazil' - small shrub, weeping branches, pink blooms - (2) - One promised zookatie
Justicia spicigera 'sidicara' - tall with orange plumes - one to zookatie
Justicia 'shrimp cocktail' - (3) one to Cherie
Xanthosoma 'lime zinger' - (2 trades) - one to zookatie
C. 'coal miner' - (3 trades)- one to Cherie
C. 'teacups' - (2 trades)- one to zookatie
Hedychium ginger - peach bloom
Costus woodsonii - red button ginger
Alpinia nutans - false cardamon
Barleria micans - giant yellow shrimp
Strophanthus gratus - climbing oleander (hopefully rooted or cuttings)
Beaumontia murtoni - similar to B. grandiflora Easter lily vine (hopefully rooted)
Clivia - wide leaves, orange blooms (1 trade) to zookatie
Cordyline - 8 varieties - see pictures previous post
Petrea volubilis - 1 trade
Clerodendrum wallichii - 1 - maybe 2 trades
Sunflowers, tall perennial - don't know name
Cosmos - tall orange seedlings or seeds

Some of the plants still need digging and I can't bring everything, but will gladly bring what anyone wants, so LMK if there's anything you want.

Beverly - if you don't see anything I've listed for the Bahama Marsh, would you be interested in a passion vine 'Lady Margaret'?

I'm also looking for more heliconias (thanks, Cherie)if anyone else has some.

Ginny

o

I have posted some pictures on Photobucket (link below). Most photos of my plants when they were in bloom, not the actual plant I am trading.

Ginny & Katie, you can see the other heliconias I have. I also have another that I did not take photos of , I think it may be "Green Thumb" And Katie, I will still try and get you a piece of the Rauliniana if I can. I have 3 large heliconias growing together so it is hard to figure where one starts and the other ends. I want to make sure I am getting the right one.

Ginny, I would like some of your Mardi Gras and Katie, some copperleaf cuttings. It is hard to tell with the copperleafs, there are so many cultivars and names, and they look so different in sun and in shade that it is hard to tell which ones I already have.

Hope this helps, I'll probably post more photos later.

Cherie

Here is a link that might be useful: Sept 27 Swap

o

Ginny- The mystery sunflower would be cool. I have Lady Margaret. Love her :)

Beverly

o

Hi Cherie, I would love to come! Please count me & hubby in and let us know what to bring. I would love to trade for a cutting of your begonia odorata alba and your musaica? What are you interested in?

Hi Ginny, I killed my petrea volubilis, I would love to trade for yours, the beaumontia, the clerodendrum wallichii, and the orange justica. I definitely have a few heliconias for you and a kiwi cordyline. Anything else I can interest you in?

Jay - do you have barbados cherry? Would you like some cuttings (I can start rooting)?

Beverly - I'm lusting after your blue walking iris, the blue eyed susan, and any porterweed. Let me know if you want anything below or I can scrounge the yards for things that do best in my zone 10 yard.

Katkin - I would love one or two of your LA iris'!

This is a preliminary list (it's pouring right now!):

A few different heliconias (hopefully I can find my plant map and figure out which is which)
Plumerias - both rooted and cuttings
Bromeliads - mostly full sun types (hopefully I can find the map)
Assorted crotons
Assorted angel or dragonwings
Assorted gingers
Maid of orleans jasmine - cuttings (maybe rooted)
Night blooming jasmine - cuttings (maybe rooted)
Beginner Hoyas

Thanks everyone. It sounds like fun !

Helen :)

o

Hi Helen!
Happy to have you join in the fun. I'll put you down for the Begonia odorata Alba and the copperleaf musaica (at least i think that is what it is. I just looked that name up again and got pictures of 2 different plants on 2 different sites, one looks like my plant the other does not- so go figure). They are both already fully rooted. I still have one more of the Alba if anyone else is interested.

I am interested in any gingers or begonias that I don't already have. I think you gave me several of your begonias at one of Ricky's swaps and I love them now.

We will do a food sign up list later.

Cherie

o

Hi all,

Helen - I've put your name on the Petrea, C. wallichii, B. murtoni, and orange justicia. Looking for heliconias, bromeliads or anything I don't have. lol.

Beverly - Mystery sunflower for you - Now that I've seen the Snowberry Chiococca alba, I would love one for my B'fly garden if you have enough. We have a lot of the same plants. lol. I have a dwarf powderpuff seedling, cassia tree seedling (not sure which one, but not popcorn), a tiny Jatropha integerrima and podigrica (buddha belly) seedling or anything from my main list.

Cherie - I'm not sure now if the copperleaf mardi gras goes by another name. When I googled it, a different plant came up with narrow leaves. I know this was labeled mardi gras when I got it, but you know how the names go. Anyway here is a picture, but at different times it is beautiful with a lot of pink to salmon tones.

Copperleaf ' mardi gras ' ??

Ginny

o

Sun, Aug 16, 09 at 15:06

Bev,I'd like some blue Susan, if you can. I'll see if I have other colors of the Susan too. I am a vine-a-holic as well.

Helen, I'll get some La iris for you, but won't know the color, since they aren't blooming now.

Anybody have oster plant, I'd like to try it again, both the tall and the dwarf.

o

Katkin- I have plenty of blue Susan.

Ginny- Snowberry for you. I love anything native, butterfly, nature (birds) and tropical. My backyard is a mixture of these.

Helen- blue Susan, Iris Porterweed for you. Would love some Plumeria.

o

Bev - every time I look at your list I see another plant I would like - this time it's lizard's tail. I thought it was the same as scorpion's tail until I looked it up. Would you like a scorpion's tail? lol.

Ginny

o

Hi Ginny,
I do have that copperleaf or one that looks like it, I am just going to call it the pink one and give up on the names :) - pictures work so much better!

Cherie

o

Katkin, I have some oster plants, so far they have only gotten to about 1-2 ft. I'll bring that and I also have your jasmine, I owe you from what, about a year ago!

o

Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 7:14

Oh my Wanda, I'd forgotten all about that jasmine. And thanks for the oyster plants. What are you looking for?

I am trying to get a list together now. :o)

o

Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 13:10

Here is a few plants I could bring.

yellow helicona
helicona Christmas
Siam ruby banana
Jamaican red banana
blackberry lily
Mex. tarragon
oregano
apple mint
pinecone ginger
pink crinum
Plus the two portias I mentioned before.

o

Katkin- I would a Jamaican red banana :) I love bananas!!

o

Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 18:15

Bev, sure on the Jamaican red. It is my favorite, with a slight strawberry flavor. :o) I might have a pup of a dwarf finger banana as well, would you want that too? ;o)

o

I will have lots of NOID brom from my neighbor. It's a pale green and puts up a pretty red spike. Sorry I'm clueless when it comes to tropicals.

o

Katkin, I would love your oregano.

This is my list so far:

crepe mytle- pink, white and crimson. Maybe, have to see if they will take the digging up.

Cannas-yellow orange

reed orchid-orange

peace lily

jasmin-maid of Orleans

o

Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 6:53

Wanda, I'll bring you some oregano. :o)

I also have pups of the Queen Emma crinum. :o)

o

Stuartwanda - would love a reed orchid and a crimson crepe myrtle maybe a canna as well

Katkin - would love a christmas heliconia too

Katie

o

Anybody interested in spider plants to use as groundcover in the shade? These are your regular houseplants with green centers and white margins. I have lots.

Ginny

o

Here is my list:
NOID broms
The following roses:
Molineux, Yellow English rose
Sharifa Asma, Pink, ", incredible scent
Marie Pavie, light pink polyantha, easy care
Purple porterweed
Native porterweed, 6', coral
Cordyline that I can start:
Kiwi
Red Sister
Maria
Gold Edge
Chenille plants (Acalypha hispida)

I'm looking for pink ixora, I only see the coral and yellow in the stores.
Any canna
Any cordyline
Also Beverly, if you still have blue walking iris, I'd love one to compliment the yellow ones that Kristi gave me.
Katkin, if you still have any of the double pea vine I'd love one and also a bleeding heart if one is available.
Ginny, that copperleaf you posted a picture of sure is pretty, I'd love a cutting of it if possible. Thanks all
Nancy

o

Nancy - I think you originally started the buzz for Ti plants, so if you see any that you want in the pictures I posted - jlmk. I'll put your name on the copperleaf I call 'Mardi Gras', but may not be. What color cannas are you looking for? I have several.

I would love a gold rim ti and Molineux rose if available.

Ginny

o

Zookatie and Shellfreak - Will bring pommegranate for you if I make it.

Wanna run Faster - I do have the barbados cherry - thanks for offering.

I have no idea what the flowers are that you guys are naming. Ignorance is bliss on this topic (my wife will not be asking what does xxx look like!!!)

I may have an extra ever-bearing marlberry/mulberry.

o

I'm planning on pulling out my dragonfruit if anyone wants them. I have 3 varieties: american beauty, physical graffiti, and yellow.

I also have sherry baby ginger and frosty pink brug cuttings if anyone would be interested.

Helen

o

Helen, I would love to have a 'Sherry Baby' ginger.

Ginny

o

Katkin, Please save me a Jamacian Red banana. Pretty please?

All, I am going to set up a table for edible samples if anyone wants to bring any of their home grown goodies for others to taste, not that I have many, other than Coco Plum.

Cherie

Cherie

o

Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 20:06

Nancy, I put you down for the dbl pea vine and I'll check on the bleeding heart vine. I'd like a gold edge ti, too please.

Helen, I have you down for La iris, and I'd like a piece of the sherry baby too. :o)

o

Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 7:15

Cherie, I have you down for the red banana as well, and the others we talked about. :o)

o

Nancy- Blue Iris it is. Would love Sharifa Asma, Pink if you have an extra.

Jay- Thank you very much :)

Katkin- Sure a pup of a dwarf finger banana would be awesome.

Beverly

o

Helen I would love to have some of your dragon fruit American beauty and yellow.
Are you interested in any shade loving bromeliads ?

I have been so busy. I will be making my list soon.

o

Nancy, you want a pink ixora bush? I cut mine down but they grew back. I'd be happy to dig one up.
Katkin, I'd be interested in your blackberry lily and Hel Christmas if you have enough. How much space would I need for your broms? What are you looking for?
I have a white/red bleeding heart vine. Who's looking?

o

Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 7:29

Coffeemom, I'll put you down for the blackberry lilies, the Hel Christmas and the broms. I'll divide the broms to make them smaller. How about a piece of your helincona? I lost the last one somehow.

I am riding with Ginny so we need to keep it as compact as we can, so it will all fit in her car. :o)

o

Hi Coffeemom - I see Kathy has already asked, but if you have another heliconia Jacquinii(I think that's the name) I would like one too. I lost mine. Is there anything on my list above you would like - or what are you looking for?

Ginny

o

Ginny, any Cannas but orange works great, thanks for the Copperleaf and I'll check out your Ti pictures.
I will put your name on Gold Edge Ti and Molineux.
Thanks Katkin, I'll put you down for a Gold Edge Ti.
Beverly, Thanks for the blue iris. I have your name on Sharifa Asma
Kristi, thanks for the pink Ixora. I was looking for bleeding heart but Katkin may have supplied it? Is there anything that your heart yearns for, plant wise I mean, not winning the lottery, ha ha.
Nancy

o

Jay - Thank you would you like a cutting of Mangosteen?

Teka - I can bring you Canna Intrique and some hopefully rooted cuttings of Cordylines

Wanna Run - would also love your Sherry Baby ginger

I can also add NOID plumeria seedlings and Pudica and Clerodendrum bleeding heart the purple and red variety I have seedlings of Luffa, Pink Coral bean, Hyacinth bean, Birdhouse gourd, Climbing Spinach vine and Morning Glory bush also working on cutting of Bay Rum tree, Brunfelsia americana and Song of India anybody?

Katie

o

Hey dobbers, way over there in Naples- didn't mean to ignore you, tried to send you an e-mail but you don't have an address listed on your page. If you still would like to come, just jump right in here!

Same goes for anyone else that I did not respond directly to.

Cherie

o

Hi Jay. we can swap "veggie" tales and eat the food. Not going to be able to bring heirloom tomatoes to this swap, too early!
bernie

o

So far I'm bringing a pink ixora, 2 heliconia and a yellow stem EE (for ginny)I'll be traveling this weekend but will post my list of "haves" as soon as I get my act together.

o

coffeemom - thanks, but don't forget to post your wants too.

Ginny

o

Ginny it's like this. My son is back at UCF. We're taking my daughter back to FSU. My Dad is in ICU at Holy Cross.
I "want" to be able to make it through this weekend.
wish me luck.

o

Oh Krisit, you really have your plate full right now! I can certainly understand how you must be feeling. My prayers and best wishes for your Dad's recovery.
Hugs, Ginny

o

Katie, thanks for the canna intrigue and the 'hopefully rooted cuttings' of cordyline. I'm not sure mine will be completely rooted by then either, but should be fine.
I'd love your bleeding heart, purple and red if you still have it.
I'm also looking for common asparagus fern. I took all of mine out and now I have 3 spots that it would be just the right plant for.
Kristi, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope your Dad gets better soon.
Nancy

o

Oh Kristi, hang in there !

My motto is family first , the job , the yard, then the house!
Friends understand :)

Prayers for your dad.

o

Cherie already knows I am coming too!
Nancy, I have Miss Andrea cordyline also a short leafed burgundy color I will try and root
I will bring cuttings of my sweet almond, starfish clerodendrum, and jacquemontia.
I have two broms wine color with green spots and pink tips
also a green ice crossandra and some water plants
I will look and see what else I can get started too.

looking for pudica plumeria
and cordylines
Kat

o

Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 8:10

Kat, I'll root a pudica for your green ice crossandra, how's that?

o

Katkin~ sounds great!
Kat

o

Kat - glad to see you are coming. I had to look up the starfish clero. as I knew I wanted it if I didn't have it, but I see it's the C. Minahassae and I have it. Never knew it was called 'starfish', but I love it.

Ginny

o

Kat, I'm glad to see that you are coming too. Thanks for the cordyline plants. I've enjoyed the chocolate ti that you gave me a year or so ago at Ricky's fall swap.
Nancy

o

Kat - I would love the green ice crossandra too if you have it to spare. I have a red crossandra I could try to start cuttings from if you would like, or I might have some cordylines you don't have.

Ginny

o

Nancy, I guess I already gave you the Miss Andrea, I call it a chocolatey Ti! I just got a new Ti that is reds with white margins on it.

Ginny I will be happy to bring you a green ice as well.
Kat

o

Kat, either will work. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have two of the 'chocolate.' Thanks so much.

Does anyone have common asparagus fern? I got rid of mine now I have 3 spots that they would work in. Thanks
Nancy

o

I have:

Royal Poinciana - seedlings 4"high

Looking for:
Jamacian Cherry (Strawberry Fruit)
Blackberry Lily
Crape Myrtles- seeds or plants : ) **any color**

Hey Katie:
do you still have the Blue Butterfly Clerodendrum and Agave? Can give them a home. : )

Will check the yard and possibly have some more things to list.

Thanks,
Tropicalfreak

P.S. **Coffeemom**, Prayers and Good thoughts sent your way... xo : )

o

Kat - thanks! What can I bring you? (I bought that Ti plant Saturday and just love it)

Nancy - I have been trying to get rid of mine, but it keeps coming back in one spot, so I can bring you what's there.

Cliff - I have one small Natchez seedling and may have seeds to several by swap time.

Ginny

o

Most excellent Ginny!! Thank you!!!

-Cliff

o

Hi Cliff
The Blue butterfly and agave are all yours

Katie

o

Doesn't anyone want some rooted cuttings of plumerias or beginner hoya?
I also have one tiny rooted blue weeping Ginger. 

o

Ok my heliconia lovers, I found a partial map. I think i' ve identified giant lobster claw, caribean sunset I , wagernia sp?, dorado gold, and tropica. Tropica is the only one that has bloomed for me. Caribean and tropica seem the most vigorious.

Cliff. I killed off my alpinia, would you happen to have a piece for me, either color?

o

WRF - You have a great list of Heliconias. Whatever you can spare that would work in z9b I would love as I have none of those and that happens to be my new 'must have' plant. I've got a few plants set aside for you. Anything else I might bring you. I can try a cutting of dwarf ylang ylang, but haven't tried to root one yet. I also have a light pink crinum that gets 2-3 feet tall I just dug up, so it would be a big bulb.

Ginny

o

Wanna Run - what is the blue weeping ginger sounds beautiful. And I love Heliconias what can I bring you?

Cliff - ever tried to Bonsai the Poincianas I'll try your seedlings

Katie

o

Wed, Aug 26, 09 at 7:35

Helen, how about a piece of dorado gold for the La irises? ;o)

o

Does anyone want me to start some tomatoes for them? I have Roma, Cherry and Brandywine.

WRF- If you have any extra lobster claw I'd love one.

I'm gonna go through the yard this weekend and update my list.

Beverly

o

Cliff, I have 3 colors of crape murtle for you if you make it. I just hope they make the potting up.

o

Thanks Katie! FUnny on the Bonsai thing as I was thinking the same...have you tried this? I will put you down for.

Helen, Yes, I have some more alpinia I can bring for you.

StuartWanda, If you like you can wait til the day before or day of and dig up and put into some water? And then I can deal with the potting up when I bring home?? Thanks by the way.

Has anyone heard from Coffeemom? Is she ok?

Cliff

o

I'm here but exhausted. It's been a rough 2 weeks. I can't tell you enough how much your encouraging words meant to me. Garden buddies are the best! I'll post more on Conversations so you can get back to swappin'!
Bless you guys.

o

Does anyone have bloodlily? I would really like one or two.
Kat

o

Kat, I'll bring you a couple.

Ginny

o

Thanks Ginny! I will bring you a couple butterfly plants.
Kat

o

I also have a Thunbergia grandiflora (sky flower), gorgeous blue flowers, but a large vine, I don't have room for. Anyone interested?

Has a food list been started?
Nancy

o

No, we haven't started an official food list. We will barbeque or smoke something, burgers or pulled pork and chicken. I'll take care of buns, paper goods, plastic ware, etc. We can start a list of side dishes.

Also, if you want to send me an e-mail, I will start sending out directions. My e-mail address is: cherieblick@bellsouth.net. Make sure you identify your self by your Gardenweb name if it is not obvious, so I will know who I have sent directions to and who still needs them.

Cherie

o

Ginny I have a few spots that I could fill in with spider plants if the offer is still open. Thanks

Also I am planning to bring a romaine salad with roasted peppers, roasted walnuts and gorgonzola cheese.

Nancy

o

Nancy, I have a few extra spider plants. Yum! your salad sounds de-lish!
Here are a few more plants I can bring
water hyssop-baccopa
native Fl mint
native salvia (red) I also have pink, white and coral nymph
fire bush
firespike lots of red, some pink and some purple
Juncus effusus 'Spiralis' this was very popular at Ricky's
swap
Red-Leaf Hibiscus aka False Roselle
lots of different coleus!!!
a few dendrobium - purple
deep pink crinum lilies
bromeliad deep wine with green spots and pink tips

I am sure I have more plants I will bring

looking for white den superbum
Kat

o

Nancy - I'll bring spider plants

Kat - I have a pretty white dendrobium, but it's not superbum. I had to google that one - Wow!!

Cherie - I'll bring potato salad if no one else has listed it.

Ginny

o

Nancy, your salad sounds great and so does Ginny's potato salad.

I'll send out directions to those that have e-mailed as soon as I put something together.

Katie, The Alocasia Sarian went kaput. It was doing so well until I divided it and I must have potted in soil that did not drain enough, and they all rotted. Can I offer you something else, like Colocasia Nancy's Revenge or Alocasia Plumbea Nigra?

I also gave one to Katkin and I am sure it did not make it either, so I will come up with something else for her as well. I know her computer is down right now.

I'm looking forward to the swap and have been busy getting ready!
Cherie

o

Cherie, I can bring dessert or a pasta salad, or whatever. .

Kat, I would love one of your criniums and one of your broms. I can bring you a brom or two. I also have one or two starts of hedychium flavuum...the scent is awesome and the butterflies seem to like it too. Anyone want some crepe Ginger or what I think is Indian head Ginger?

What is that pretty salomony-pink shrub or small tree that is blooming right now? I thought maybe it was a mussandra ( sp?) but on gardinos website it says that's a winter bloomer. Anyway, if anyone has a small start you can spare t would love it.

o

Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 7:00

Just wanted to say I am up and running again thanks to DH.

Cherie, so far everything I got from you is doing fine. I planted them all out in the garden. Thankfully we had a wonderful rain last night finally.

o

Helen you got it! How agressive is the hedychium flavuum?
Kat

o

Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 8:18

Cherie, I spoke too soon, I just went out and looked at the sarian and it only has one sad leave left. Does it go down for the winter? If they do they sometimes will go early if transplanted.

o

Kat, it s not aggressive at all and it stays upright, where you put it and at around three feet tall in afternoon sun. It blooms repeatedly and the scent is unbelieveable. You can even plant it at the middle or back of a border bed.

Thanks!
Helen

o

WRF - do you have an extra on the H. flav. I had it once and loved it, but it hasn't bloomed anywhere in the last couple of years, so I guess I lost it somehow.

Does anyone have the variegated A. gamosepala (matchstick bromeliad) to swap? I have several bromeliads I could send pictures of if I don't know the names. Also have some other variegated plants if interested.

Ginny

o
RE: HAVE: Sept. 27, Jupiter Farms Plant Swap, .....

WRF - forgot to mention, I will try to start you the salmon Mussaenda, but I can't promise success.

Ginny

o

Helen, a dessert would be nice as we don't have anyone bringing one yet.

o

Hi everyone have a massive virus on our computer at work where I do most of my work sooo

Cherie - anything would make me happy either one is beautiful

Butterflygardener - ooh you have several things I would love the Broms and for our butterfly garden at the zoo the native mint and salvia what do you need ?

For food I can bring either the taco salad I brought to Rickys or a sweet an sour mini barbacued rib (my kids love these)

Katie

o

Cherie- What time does the swap start? I can either bring a tropical fruit salad or garden-themed cookies. Let me know.

Beverly

o

Katie~ That Sweet shrub sounds interesting, is it still available? I will bring you the plants you requested. You should really come by sometime and get cuttings.
Kat

o

Ginny, thanks for the spider plants.
Kat, how tall is the native mint? Also what light do the crinum lilies like?
Thanks
Nancy

o
mint and crinums

Nancy the mint is 4-6 inches tall, and the crinums have been in part shade. They can grow in full sun as well.
Kat

o

Katie and Beverly, either one sounds fine, I'll leave it up to you.

Why don't we set our start time for 9:30? I'm sure not everyone will arrive at the same time, which is also fine. We can do our swaps and chat, have lunch and then possibly make a side trip to a local grower who lives nearby. How does that sound to everyone?

o

Cherie:

9:30 sounds good. My nephew is coming home from Iraq and we are having a family get together later in the day. It will be a busy day :)

Beverly

o

Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 8:41

Does anyone have a canna, Stuttgart, to trade? That is the variegated one. :o)

o

Hi everybody , I got my list together
Calathea :
Dottie ( 1)
Network aka mosaic (1)

Bromeliads:
Aechmea
Zebrina ( pink form ) (1)
Correau aroujai (1)
Fendleri (2)

Neo
Tiger (1)
Picasso (1)

Hohenbergia
Fudge ripple (2)

Fortnight lily (1)
Blackberry lily (1)
caladium: Yellow blossom (1)
Forsythia sage (2)

I have ( 1)pitch apple ( clusia rosa ) and (2) single ragoon creeper vines that need some attention.
My bromeliad aec " Blue tango" Mother plant threw pups for the second time. They are a bit small.
If you want one, let me know and I will save one for you this spring.

DH has taken and interest in growing veggies. I have a bunch of seeds should anyone want to give it a try.
Thanks, D`Ann

o

D'ann - would love your Hohenbergia fudge ripple if you have enough to spare.

Do you see anything from my list above or what would you be interested in? I have several bromeliads, but unfortunately most of the names are gone.

Ginny

o

Jupiterplants - I am interested in both your Neos if I have something of interest to you.

Butterfly - I will save a Sweet Shrub for you would love to get cuttings lol

Anybody have any Lotus I can't seem to get these to grow from seeds for me

Katie

o

Thought I would post a list of what's promised so far as I don't want to forget anything. If you've asked for something and it's not here, PLMK.

Cherie - Justicia 'fruit cocktail', C. 'coal miner'

zoo-katie - X. 'lime zinger',C. teacup, Dianthera nodosa, Justicia spicigera, orange clivia

shellfreak (Bev) - H. augustifolia (swamp sunflower), ???

WRF (Helen) - Petrea volibulis, Beaumontia murtoni, Clero. wallichii, Justicia spiciger (orange)

teka2.. (Nancy) - Ti plants, copperleaf 'mardi gras',cannas,asparagus fern, spider plants

Cliff - crepe myrtle 'Nachez' seedling

Kat - Blood lily

Please let me know if I left you off the list, or if you want anything from my list. The Ti plants are listed in a separate post with pictures.

Ginny

o

Ginny , I marked off one of the fudge ripples for you...... it would be great to get xantho lime zinger.

zookatie , both of the neos are yours. I don`t have the cordyline luchia and bolero.. would love them !

If any of the plants I have asked for have been taken just think of me next year . :)
Lots of family stuff for me now, so I haven`t kept up with the posting

I have notice that there's been an interest in both cordyline and copperleafs I don`t have all the name of my tee plants, but I do have a list of the copperleafs.

I have the following KNOWN copperleaf's in my yard
Bronze Margnata
Musaica
Sunrise
Loco
Hetrophylla

It is too late in the year for me to start them now , but I will write your name down and start some plants for you guys in the spring.

o

D'ann, is 1 of those fudge ripples for me? I would also like the mosaic calathea.

Helen, do you have an extra tuber of the heliconia I gave you? It did well for you but I killed mine. I'd like to try again.

Nancy, my pink ixora are Nora Grant. Is that the pink you were looking for or is mine considered salmon colored.

o

Kristy,

I went through your photobucket and copy/ pasted the ones that I liked.

You got mail :)

o

D'ann - Thanks. I've got you down for a X. 'lime zinger'.

Ginny

o

Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 6:49

D'Ann, any more fudge ripple? ;o)

o

I have a few more items worth listing Ipomoea coccinea or scarlet morning glory. A favorite of hummingbirds and listed as a native on the IFAS publication at the link below. Warning is does reseed readily if seeds not removed. Dies back in summer. New plants pop up in Fall.

Also I have several white containers some glazed some not. I am collecting green containers especially the old time planters. Anyone interested in the white? anyone have green?
Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea coccinea

o

Thanks Ginny :)
Kathy the last F ripple is yours.
Neos gone
Calatha network is gone.

Who wanted the blackberry lily ?

o

Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 18:46

D'ann, what are you looking for? ;o)

o

Cliff was looking for blackberry lily,D'ann.

o

Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 7:29

Kat, if no one wants the pot and you haven't a use for them, I'll take them. :o)

o
White Butterfly Ginger Available

White Butterfly Ginger

I have two divisions of this white butterfly ginger potted up and available - it is very, very fragrant. Sorry, don't know the official name, got it in a swap years ago. The fragrance is fabulous.

Cherie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here