Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edenh_gw

Where to get free compost/mulch in Orlando?

edenh
10 years ago

Hi
I am trying to amend my soil which is a100% builder sand. I have heard that some people are getting free compost from Disney World. I have tried searching on internet to no avail. This is so frustrating considering that I live right behind Disney World. I am also looking to get free mulch/compost from OC landfill. Thanks

Comments (8)

• abnorm
    10 years ago

As a County resident.....you can get a Free pickup truck load at the Orange County Landfill........

The quality varies.....I often find broken glass bits and rocks in the mix...bring your shovel.....you need to load it yourself....Make sure you have a cover for the load.....

doug

• Orlando-Dave
    10 years ago

I know of two. The OC landfill as you mentioned but you have to shovel it yourself. Good for small quantities.

I would also recommend Monterey Mushroom in Zelwood. I know some people are down on the compost material they provide but I have had good luck with it. It is not free but very cheap. If you can bowwow a dump trailer I paid $15 dollars for a 7x14 trailer full and they can load a trailer with one scoop of their front end loader. It takes a full season to decompose down but is a good way to add organic material in a short period of time. I used this to jump start my raised beds and now just compost with typical material. I would call first. You can also ask at the guard shack if they have mushrooms and if they have overstock you can get a whole bag full for very cheap.

5949 Sadler Rd, Zellwood, FL 32798
    (407) 905-4000

• saldut
    10 years ago

You might try some local stables for horse manure...they usually have loads of it and want to get rid of it---and free is good! sally

• orlchris
    10 years ago

Orange County Landfill gives it away for free. Take your pickup truck, garbage cans, buckets, boxes, planters, pots or whatever you're going to fill it with! Don't forget a shovel!

If you want a large amount you can call 407 442 8937 to get a dump trailer to meet you there so you can load it and have a large amount picked up and delivered to your garden site.

• edenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! Does anyone know anything about getting compost from Disney World? MY BIL told me that he knows some people who got the compost from there. The problem is he doesnt know how to get in touch with them. I will try to get some compost from OC. Thanks

• jainagc
    9 years ago

The city of orlando is giving free compost containers to their residents, here is the link. http://www.cityoforlando.net/solidwaste/composter/

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

"Compost" which smells bad is not well-made compost. True compost, even that prepared with animal manures as one ingredient, is sweet and pleasant. Only material which is either not done, or worse yet, has been allowed to go anaerobic gets a bad smell. What's more, some of the funky chemicals which can form in anaerobic conditions can be quite bad for plant growth.

But again, true, well-made compost never smells bad.

+oM

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals