Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Anyone plant a Peace Lily in the ground?

jane__ny
9 years ago

I'm in Sarasota. I have one in a pot for many years. Made the move from NY. Its quite large and will need a repot this Spring.

I'm wondering if they survive in the ground.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jane

Comments (9)

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Maybe if you have some good soil?? I keep mine in raised beds with improved soil also grow them in standing water in the marsh garden using fracted clay but still in pots.. Weather seems to be of less impotance than growing material. gary

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

I have both the small and the large leaved one in the garden and they grow just fine. The large is under my mango tree. They get water 2 times a week and fertilizer 2 times a year.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. Gary good to see you, I was just thinking about you the other day.

This plant has grown very large and will need repotting if I keep it in a pot. I don't really want to. But I have sentimental feelings about the plant. I've had it for over 10 years.

Its been planted in Miracle Gro with orchid bark mixed it. It gets watered when I think of it. I'm a bad waterer, lol.

I don't have raised beds and really don't have the ability to make them. Why are you suggesting good soil? Nematodes, dryness?

I can plant it in a shady spot with a fairly thick leaf mulch. Would that work. If Nematodes are the problem, then I won't put it in the ground.

I don't want to lose it.

Thanks again,
    Jane

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

hi
    In my case ,i think it's a bit of both. My soil is 3/4 sand with seashells. Even the weeds struggle lol So I grow most everything in pots .I have had nematodes so yet another reason to grow in pots.Spaths seem to need a lot of moisture, so if your soil will hold it will probably work??
    Everything grows sooo much better for me in pots about the only thing I grow in the ground are trees lol
    goodluck gary

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    9 years ago

Jane, I brought mine with me from up North too and have had it for just as long. Was also thinking about planting it in the ground but everything I read says it's happiest in 75-85 degrees. I gather from the comments here no one has an issue with south FL being hotter. Here in Jax area we have 3 months of 90-95 and I'm nervous about planting it outside.

• starryrider
    9 years ago

My friend bought a house in Deland and has many in the yard. They seem to be flourishing with minimal care.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. My soil is sand. Not sure what I should do. Might just pot it up and stick it under a tree. I'm running out of room with my large 'dirt' plants and orchids.

Jane

• sueanne777
    9 years ago

Have some Peace Lily's in flower boxes in my enclosed porch. Were given to me by a widower who was going to throw them away. He even gave me other potted plants since he knew I would take care of them. I feed these plants tea leaves from the used tea bags I save. They seem to be thriving for the last five years without getting moldy. Remove the leaves that dry out to encourage new growth. They are attractive in bloom.