Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinael01

Why don't we have a FAQ??

tinael01
12 years ago

I was trying to find posts on tomatoes in our forum and realized we don't have a FAQ. There are some amazing gardeners on this forum who I am sure have much wisdom to share. I haven't looked very hard yet to find the instructions for creating one, but I think I am going to. Will you guys contribute?

Comments (26)

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

we have been asking for a FAQ for years. Also a Gallery for pictures. We even wanted to change the logo to make it more "Floridian" but nothing ever comes of it. It's like talking to the wizard of oz.
    Good luck if you want to try and request a FAQ. Maybe this time will be the charm. You never know.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Serious? They ignored you? Hmmm.....

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

Yea would love that. I feel guilty crowding up the list with posts I could refer to a FAQ. I use the general one but Florida, like any place, is a bit different.

I'm a graphic designer. Let me know if anyone needs opinions on a logo for the forum.

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

Years ago we had a contest and picked a new logo and...nada. If you guys would like to try again that would be great.

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Coffeemom, wasn't that when Spike was webmaster? Maybe this new one would be different.

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

Solstice tried a few years back when it was ivillage.

We only got a conversation page when we were all talking about hurricanes instead of gardening. That was the Charlie, Francis, Jeanne...(who am I missing? Ivan?) hurricane season.

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

They were trying awhile back to get people to do the FAQ's for free. I guess due to the fact that we have so many zones here, and so many different growing conditions, no one wanted to take on Florida.

I would not tackle an FAQ for the entire state of FL for no compensation. That would be a full time job. You'd have to do sections for North, Central and South Florida. Then you'd have to break those up further into North Central and South Central. Nope, too much work to do for free.

• vegtech
    12 years ago

Tomatoes, would be great tio discuss.

• stuartwanda
    12 years ago

I think it was about a year ago they put up a post looking for someone to over see a FAC page. No takers. The cooking forum has one and one person puts the stuff on it. I don't like the format for the FAC page. Check one out.

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

But it's so redundant to tell every transplanted Northerner they can't grow hosta or that the veggie season is reversed.
    Tinae101, why not try again and see what happens. It couldn't hurt.

• czfljo
    12 years ago

While it's not "Florida" or zone specific there *is* a tomato FAQ. I happened upon it while doing a google search a couple weeks ago. There is a tomato forum which I will link below and at the top of that there is a FAQ link! A FL FAQ would be awesome though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garde Web Growing Tomatoes Fourm

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

Honestly, I've thought that maybe moving our group to Facebook would be sooooo much easier.

It's easier to post pics, easier control access, easy to create FAQs, groups, create group admins..etc.

We could create a Florida GW Group on FB.

Thoughts? Interest?

• tinael01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent an email to test the waters a few days ago, but I haven't heard anything. I'll update you if I do.

I find the Facebook information goes too quicky for me, but if you start a group I will join and give it a shot.

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

saintpfla, over the years, quite a few people have tried to create groups for FL gardeners elsewhere. I've personally started two, one on the old MSN groups and one on FB, both of which I finally gave up and closed because no one participated. I've started and abandoned about 6 forums over the years. I'd love it if the NY Times, which now owns GW, would upgrade the forums to make it easier to add photos, etc., but every time a new owner tries to upgrade, people leave in droves. We seem to have a lot of members who are content to stay in the 90's and never move into the 21st century with this forum. I can't count how many entire forums left when iVillage first took over and tried to pretty up and upgrade the forums. NY Times got GW in a package with iVillage, and honestly, I don't think they care about this place because it doesn't make them enough money.

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

The problem is this site is pre-social media. The pop-ups are blocked (revenue generators) and there is no option to embed search via clickable search aggragates, ie: you click on eyeglasses and begin receiving targeting marketing on the side-bar for eyeglasses.

Eventually, this site will be disabled as the cost to maintain it will exceed the benefit. Facebook is referred to under the classification of Web 2.0 (LinkedIn, MySpace,etc..) due to the social media interactive capabilities and ease of use, transition to phones, etc.

Sorry for the ramble...I work in technology and social media. ;)

I think other previous attempts at moving GW to other sites (not FB) failed because the tools themselves were not as capable nor as widely used. Perhaps an earlier attempt at FB was too soon in the adaptation phase of FB where most people were not out there?

Now, there are so many different picture apps that you can use simply from your smart phone to upload to FB. In fact, most people access FB via their smart phones.

FYI...My 70 year old Mother is out on Facebook....

How about I post something and see what the response/interest is from the group and we go from there?

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

It is my understanding that someone has to volunteer to be your FAQ or for any other subject. So just maybe one of you needs to offer to be the FAQ for your Florida link.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have now heard back from the administrator and she tells me she will create an account for me in the next few days so I can set up a FAQ. I looked at a couple of FAQs and they appear to be simple lists of documents on various topics. Where does the logo come in? I'm happy to try my hand at this but go easy on me...I am a novice. :)

• abnorm
    12 years ago

If there is artwork/logo it's probably done from GW end...
    Spike had/access a huge online collection of vintage pen/ink artwork....

You might start by presenting your basic LIST of possible Q&A's and asking for suggestions...Links...

doug

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

I think the first list should be of things you can't grow here!

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Isn't a FAQ the same thing as a list of questions and answers? How is that different from what GW's Florida forum already is? I am not being a smart as*, just wondering how it would be different.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

okay, I can put together a list of topics for the FAQ and then set them loose to build for 3 weeks in Feb. while I am in India. When I return, I should have very good info waiting for me. :) I'll work on the list and post it this weekend.

FAQ is one stop shopping for basic useful info so you don't have to search the forum. Florida is a unique and tough gardening environment and good information can make the difference for a new Florida gardener. I know it would have for me. I tried my first veggie garden in May!

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

Great job, Tinae101!!! :)

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The FAQ is up! I can't believe it! now I'll be scouring our posts to pull out and post the gems. This wonderful forum has been a team effort and a blooming place for friendship - so if you have a favorite old post send it to me!

Tina

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Tina,

What a gift of love that was to all of us on this forum. Thank you so much for your TIME! Great job!

Tom's Everglade Currant Tomato Seeds thread with 130+ posts is a classic. You may want to consider adding it or linking it to the FAQ. I've put the link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Everglades currant tomato seeds

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Carol...and good choice too. I will add this to the FAQ very soon.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YOU CAN UPDATE THE POSTS I HAVE IN THE FAQ

If you go to one of the posts and add an entry to it anytime you want to. So if you come across a great tip or idea...please feel free to find the relevant post in the FAQ and update it.

I have to find out how to make the links active so you don't have to cut and paste the web addresses. Working on it....

Tina