Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

So the weather outside is frightful..

fawnridge (Ricky)
10 years ago

(Sing along)
(No don't.)

50 degrees here in Boca Raton. If this is the worst of it, then my damage will be minimal. Of course, the Bulnesia will drop every leaf, but I can make it do that with a cold drink. Not a lot of new growth, so that's not a concern this time. But remember the 10-Day Rule - the real damage from a cold snap won't be fully visible for 10 days after it happens.

For those of you in zone 9 and north, oh well, shoulda moved further south. And for those of you south of me, just keep smiling, one of these days you're gonna get snowflakes.

This post was edited by fawnridge on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 7:03

Comments (21)

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

I think I've had enough of this global warming!

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I have been to south Florida.....you can keep it :)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

No frost here, but 33 degrees isn't fun when I hate to give up my tropicals I dragged up here from down south.

Oh how I miss Chokoloskee!

(I'm so tempted to look up Bulnesia, but I don't dare! Thanks for the stuck-in-my-head song, Ricky)

Susie

. . . well, gave in to temptation. . . .I didn't know Vera Wood was really Bulnesia. Beautiful! Yeah, movin' back to the island this winter. . .

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

I wrapped up my young citrus trees and dragged in a bunch of plants and it was 'only' 41 here last night. I also dragged in some teeny, tiny ants which I now have to try to eradicate!

I wonder what the temps will be tonight--will I have to uncover everything, then re-do for tonight???
    Marcia

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

So the weather outside is frightful,
    and my bed seems so delightful
    So if I don't have to get up to go,
    I'll just lie here a few hours mo'

MOO

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Got off easy over here...Low was only 36.7 degrees and I think my forecast low for tomorrow morning is 40. Could have definitely been a LOT worse!!

I have a couple of plants covered but most of my Fruit trees were too large to protect...I'm not removing any covers till tomorrow late morning after 10am...Highs today for me is only 51 degrees...nothing should burn covered up in that temperature.

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 11:17

• zzackey
    10 years ago

It was 20 here last night and about the same tonight. I wish I still lived in Vero Beach! I didn't expect to settle here. It was an unexpected move. We were full time RV for six months and had so many bad experiences it was time to quit. I had to learn how to garden again. Not complaining about that. I just miss going fishing in the ocean and not freezing so often.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

32 here this morning when I left the house at 7. Tonight is supposed to be the same. Thankfully the actual temps we're seeing aren't as cold as they were predicting a couple days ago.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

It did hit 20F here. Gh heater wouldn't light (of course) so we ran an electric space heater out there. Everything in the gh looks really good this morning. Most stuff in the yard like bananas and brugmansia that I left in the ground don't really look all that bad, considering. They get a little protection from overhanging oak branches too so that probably helped. Temps are supposed to be 25 tonight so we will get another dose. After that, it will be nice for a week.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 12:49

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Strange, it was predicted 30, but my thermometer read 37 at 7 am, no frost on windshield, everything still green. I covered a lot of stuff though. My Allamanda looks on the edge of death immediately if it gets in low thirties, it was as happy as could be when I got home from work. I just left stuff covered for tonight though. Not sure how this particular weather pattern behaved.

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Coastal Manatee county here. Live or die, that's my motto. The only thing that came in to the garage was the bat plant (in bloom) and the pitcher plant (new this year). Everything else is on it's own, nature's pruning.

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

It's already colder now (8 p.m.) than it ever was last night, so I think tonight's temp is going to go lower than expected. I wouldn't mind if the 'polar vortex' pruned a few things for me, but wish I could choose which plants got the pruning.
    Marcia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Low was 23.5 F here in Jacksonville this morning. Temperature was below 32 F from 2 am - 11 am... yes, until 11 am! So we had a nine-hour hard freeze.

High today was 41.9 F.

Temp fell below 32 F at 9 pm tonight so we are looking at a 12-hour hard freeze.

Carol in Jax

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Marcia, those "teeny ants" are likely WFA's (White Footed Ants). I have them here, too. They're in every pot, on all my plants, and when they're not trailing, they hold perfectly still until disturbed. I brought in quite a few plants, then ten minutes later, yanked them back outside as fast as I could due to the ants. Read up on them. Once they get in, they're hard to get rid of, even with professional help. They've farmed on so many of my plants and trees this past summer, I lost a ton of stuff pretty fast.
    :(

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Wouldn;t think the wood would be that sensitive?? Maybe you'll luck out since the front will be short. I jumped the gun
    and started several groups of epiphytes . Think they'll survive but sure will set them back.
    I'm sure I'll lose the flowers on the schizolobium tree and most of the leaves but has recovered from much worse Good luck gary

• stuartwanda
    10 years ago

This weekend it is suppose to get in the 80's here in Stuart, unreal! I'm hoping the cold weather did some fleas in, they are bad this year!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I was a little concerned last night since it started out colder than the night before. Hit 38 degrees after midnight till about 3am but slowly rose to the low 40's and by 7 this morning it was 45 . When I saw 38 I was so sure I would see below freezing by sunrise. I was pleasantly surprised to see 45 this morning!!

Suppose to be 84 this Saturday. Unbelievable!!

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

It was about 39 overnight. It started at 41 but I'm so glad it didn't get colder. All plants are uncovered and/or back outside again! The teeny tiny ants are still inside--little buggers!

I'm glad it will warm up this weekend. Our son is flying down from the frozen north (PA) tomorrow and I'd like the weather to be good for him and for some beach visits!
    Marcia

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

We had 18 here Tuesday morning and 21 Wednesday morning. On Tuesday we didn't break freezing until after noon, and then dropped back down below freezing about 5 p.m. It didn't break freezing until after 9 a.m. on Wednesday. So we had about 16 hours below freezing on both nights. Brr!

I wonder how poor Kayjones made out with all of her tropical and near-tropical plants. She's on the beach so she was a few degrees warmer than me, but that is still scary cold for someone with her plant collection.

I covered most of my winter veggies, but I left the collards, kale, carrots, parsnips and herbs uncovered. The peas lost a lot of foliage but I believe the plants will pull through. The chard was also damaged, but will recover. Everything else took little or no damage.

I took most of my potted citrus into the garage, but I took one of my Red Lime plants to the south side of the house, and left it near the wall with no further protection. It came through! It may lose some of its leaves, but I don't think it will lose any stems at all.

I am really excited about that; it looks like the Red Lime is hardy! Or that spot is a really warm microclimate. Either way, I will transplant one of the Red Limes over there in the spring. But I will maintain a few more of them in pots in case something happens. Also, none of them has fruited yet, so I don't know whether they came true from seed. I want to keep the others in case I need to do a dig and replace operation later.

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    10 years ago

Not as bad as I had thought over this way. The low at our airport was 34F, lowest measure I had was 36F at 6am. No frost, no damage to fruiting Dwarf Cavendish bananas, no damage at all come to think of it.

Forecast for next week shows a cool off with a few nights in the 30's and 40's. No big worries this far, but their predictions seem to change by the minute.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Noticed the cold front too. I have several low temps in the mid to upper 30's. As long as it stays above 35 degrees I'll be happy!