Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Frost cloth

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
Looks like I'm finallly going to get a test of my "Magic cloth"lol Several years ago I bought some heat producing frost cloth I'm trying it out on my orchid beds but looks like the low will be 40 but will get another shot at it saturday
First time in all my years of gardening that I'm actually hoping for a frost lol Particulaly interested in how it works in the brilliant sunshine . Would sure be wonderful?? gary

Comments (14)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Gary, please let us know how it works. Would love to know where you purchased it from, Thanks!!

I could have used it this morning,lol...31 degrees when I woke up and Frost all over the place!

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Well it's 6 am temp is 50 lol Not only no test wasted my time putting the stuff up. Did note yesterday that it did not get hot inside even in direct sun So is better than usual covering material?? temp was 5 degrees above air maybe more as I flapped the material getting the therm. in Should have left it in DUH lol
    I bought it at a nursery that is no longer in business around 10 years ago. Google "frost cloth" and you should get some sources
    It comes in several weights as well as reactivity and is expensive so shop around!!! gary

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Gary!! Anytime you want to test it out...come by! I get a LOT of frost,lol...

• plantsman56
    10 years ago

I was going to SK if you had the 2 degree, 4 degree, or 8 degree frost cloth, but it sounds like you got the 6 degree grade. You will find that the lighter grades let in more light. The light grade can be kept on top of early gardens for weeks with no problems and the rain goes right through as well. With your 6 degree, you shouldn't have to worry about getting too hot. Nurseries keep it on for a week if they need to. They don't get as much light, but a week's worth of less light doesn't normally bother most plants. You will like frost cloth, I've used it on and off for 15 years.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    have no idea as to the degree lol. In the past I've merely brought the delicates into the green house where I keep them for the duration . I got a wild hair and decided to plant a bed"
    of Vandaceous orchids between two palms where they have firmly attached. Usually use cotton bed sheets with a UV heater inside kept at 55 which works well but since fronts usually last 3 days the structure must remain and it tended to overheat during daylight Another wild hair made me try the "frost cloth " maiinly because I've never tried it .lol At last a "normal" front with no wind and brilliant sunshine but had to air it out today as with the sheets. So no advantage and serious cost lol
    Funny story When I first built my shadehouse I covered it with plastic and electric heater sailed through the night with min of 50!! Went to work and was feeling smug that I'd beat the weather. Came home that evening to find the SH at 150 degrees !! Needless to say I lost everything in it!! Wasn't so funny when it happened lol
    Thanks for the info!! Though I'm expanding my natural plantings I think I'll stick with bed sheets lol
    Low for tonight is supposed to be 39 so I'll get another partial test . Thanks again gary

• plantsman56
    10 years ago

You learn real quick to vent a greenhouse once the sun starts to hit it. The first time I found out, it had gone below freezing that night and the high was around 55 degrees. I figured, no big deal, right? Wrong, at 1pm the greenhouse puffed up like a balloon and it was 135 at the top. Luckily this one was 12 tall so only the plant material in the top 5 feet got burned up. Just a hole a foot square at the top part of a greenhouse makes all the difference in the world. Funny thing about the greenhouse affect. I've even thought about making a 12 x 12 by 4 foot tall plastic covered area right behind the house to keep closed up and then just run a tube from the top to the kitchen window and just open it enough for the tube to fit in the window and on these sunny days where it stays cold for several days, to help heat the house for free. It can't take too much 150 degree air to help warm up that part of the house, I would think.

• trini1trini
    10 years ago

This is my experiment of shadehouse turned greenhouse this winter. I put the heater in there. Two nights ago, it got down to 39 F outside and I managed to keep it 48 F inside. I roll up the front tarp in the morning to vent it. So far, so good. It'll stay like this till spring. I keep some ultra tropicals in there. The pitch is 12' high. I'm praying it holds up.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Looks Great Trini!!

Gary, after doing some research on the Frost Cloth you have I realized I've had those same types for years,lol...somehow when I first read your post I thought you had a different one...something that was electric and adds heat...Oh well I misunderstoo!

Here is the one I purchased that claims to raise the temps inside between 6-8 degrees...

Here is a link that might be useful: Frostproof.com ( Frost Cloth)

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trini
    Sounds like a plan !! What about light?? I'm no longer going to heat my shadehouse so have quit experimenting lol
    My most successful was using light colored sheets with a 150 gallon aquarium inside .Heated with a standard aquarium heater. Usually pushed it to the mid eighties before a front which created another problem condensation, but by only covereing 2/3 of the roof it cut the problem in half. Though this produced some cool areas near openings it allowed me to keep it in place all winter. I went to work before dawn and came home after dark so really complicated matters lol. Interestingly in all those years they NEVER thought a cold GH was a good reason for missing work lol
    Good luck with your plan !! gary

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Looks Great Trini!!

Gary, after doing some research on the Frost Cloth you have I realized I've had those same types for years,lol...somehow when I first read your post I thought you had a different one...something that was electric and adds heat...Oh well I misunderstoo!

Here is the one I purchased that claims to raise the temps inside between 6-8 degrees...

Here is a link that might be useful: Frostproof.com ( Frost Cloth)

• trini1trini
    10 years ago

Thanks Puglvr
    Gary, the top has a clear plastic grommeted tarp. So light gets in. It's also very humid in there so the plants like it.
    Last year I tried something similar but the shade house was half the size and height and it worked well.
    Right now some orchids and hoyas r blooming. Some seeds r germinating too.
    I'll see how it goes....

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    No frost damage this morning ,maybe because of the "magic" cloth or maybe because the low was 39 ??lol
    That frost cloth might be a good idea for you Trini .
    Youd still need a heat source BUT would allow heat to escape and would be light weight ann storable .
    With a bit of tailoring you could probably leave it all winter
    While expensive would be cheap compared to more conventional materials ?? Certainly wouldn't want to leave anything in place over summer.. gary

• trini1trini
    10 years ago

Gary, I was reading your thread and thinking I should try the frost cloth inside as well. I have some things that don't like it under 50F in there. This is a work in progress. Phew!!

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

trini
    can relate !! Worked on mine for 20 years .Solve one problem create two lol There are ways to do it BUT not within my budget So changed my philosophy . If you can't take the cold or the heat go live somewhere else !! lol Good luck gary

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County