Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Frosty Morning...

puglvr1
10 years ago

Forecast was suppose to be about 36-38 degrees according to the weather gurus, though I did have a freeze warning along with many of us...woke up and it was 31 degrees and frost all over the lawn and roof tops!!

How low did you guys get?

Comments (21)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Just a bit of patchy frost here. Low was, well is 30.5. I have the alarm set to go off at 30 to get up and turn the overhead freeze protection on for the blueberries and it never went off.

• Orlando-Dave
    10 years ago

Frost here too and had a projected low of 38 in Orlando.

One thing I have noticed is that when the ambient temperature in the days before a cold snap is high, it does not tend to get as cold as they project.

However, as has been the case in the last several days, if it has been cold in the days preceding a cold snap, the temperature seems to go as low or lower than projected.

It was project to get 32 in the last cold snap we had, but it was in the 80's the day before. It didn't get anywhere near that cold.

You would think they would include the latent heat of the ground in their models but it doesn't seem that way. Or there were other factors, which is always possible.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

The low here was 34.2. There was frost on the rooftops and my pickup. However, none in the garden. I have had frost in the garden at 37. There was no breeze this morning. I really don't understand frost.

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

My thermometer said the low last night was 35.8 here. I also had frost on the grass this morning. I didn't see any damage in the front yard but didn't venture into the back yard yet. I don't understand frost here either!
    Marcia

• whgille
    10 years ago

I didn't see any frost but it got very cold, I notice that the same plants few houses down got cold damage while mine don't. I must have a better microclimate.

Silvia

• lfranklin66
    10 years ago

I covered my above ground box, which has bell peppers, cauliflower, eggplant, lettuce, brussel sprouts and some herbs. I brought in my tomatoes, since there are a bunch of green ones I am hoping to eat soon...I covered my lemon and avocado tree. It doesn't seem like it got down past 40, but I was worried. This is my first time with any kind of garden, and I just want to be able to eat the fruits of my labor. I put the tomatoes back outside and uncovered everything else. So far everything looks ok.

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

Winter wonderland here early this morning at day break, 27.3 for the low and everything was white with frost as far as the eye could see. The cats water dishes frozen solid and my blueberry plants are coated with thick ice from the overnight water sprinklers. The chickens automatic watering system is frozen solid and all my garden hoses are stiff as a tree branch. Nice and warm in the wood greenhouse I built for the aquaponics and the fish tank water is at 71F. You know it is cold outside when the freshly laid chicken eggs are steaming.

Lou

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

I didn't wake up till 08:00 AM and immediately looked out at my reliable outside thermometer to discover it was 41 Deg. Just to be safe i did take in my 2 potted banana pups and the two small potted mango trees. After that, just before it got dark, I turned on the 6 strings of Christmas tree lights strung thru 4 of my most vulnerable in ground mango trees.
    Result this AM,...no frost, hardly any wind, just a light fog that was already on its way out. No hints of a problem anywhere. Just another 4 weeks to go hereabouts and all those lights can be dismantled and I can start breathing normal again ! lol

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

In the back yard, the leaves of the blue sky vine on top of my arbor were frosted and turned brown but most of it is fine. I want to cut it down, so it doesn't matter if it gets killed back. Banana leaves might have been touched lightly, too, but I don't expect to ever get any bananas from them anyway!
    Marcia

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    10 years ago

It 35F here at the house at 6am, but had frost on the car that had to be melted off before I left for work. Overnight low at the airport was 32F. Didn't see any frost on any of the plants, there wasn't much wind, and only a few small patches of frost in the yards around me. Down the road about a mile, frost pretty well everywhere without overhead canopy.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been checking for a freeze warning off and on today. Nothing...till a little while ago and sure enough they posted one for my county. Better late than never I guess ?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Puglvr1 - Doesn't that drive you nuts when you are trying to guess if you will have frost or not? My mother said she has changed the sheets on her plants more than the sheets on the bed! LOL

• User
    10 years ago

Getting our butt kicked here, J's orchids under heat. We decided this year we are not covering unless the predictions are 30 or under.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's funny Crenda! Sadly she's probably right :)

Walli. Forecasters predicted a low of 37 for me but the actual low turned out to be 30 degrees! Sad when the are way off!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh!!!! 28 degrees right now! Though its still kinda dark out this morning I know its going to be covered in frost again...I'm afraid to see how bad it will be...**sigh**

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 7:09

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

My low (thermometer is right up against the house) was 33.5 last night. Frost is on the front lawn again and the blue sky vine in back was hit harder. That's OK--more incentive to cut it back and move it. Some little pentas in the front yard were affected too. Not sure what else as I haven't ventured into the back yard.

I did drag in a few potted plants last night when I saw the temp was 36 at 9:30 but didn't go to as much trouble as I did for last week's cold forecast. I'm starting to not care! When we moved here as snowbirds 4 years ago, I never realized that frost/freezes were a possibility--so naive! Should have moved further south or closer to water. :(
    Marcia

• morningloree
    10 years ago

The Allamanda got frosted, which is how I can tell it got cold here in Lake Mary. I covered stuff last night: Orchids, tree ferns, and my really nice ornamental banana trees. The forecasts have not been as accurate lately, but I believe last night was close. I woke up later than usual and my thermometer said 40, I suspect it got to 36 or 35 last night. Now off to untuck the babies. Looks like Wednesday I'll be tucking them in again for the night with frost cloth.

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

I looked at the backyard. The bananas, clerodendrum, cassias, and some of the firespike leaves were hit and probably some other plants I haven't noticed yet. Oh, well, such is the life of a garden (and gardener).
    Marcia

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

Last night snuck up on me, to put it mildly. I had the four strings of Christmas tree lights strung out for the last 2 months, but were not lit up last night, - the forecasters early on lulled me into a belief it would be a warmish night,..no low temps for sure.
    Then as I got drowsy and prepared to turn off the TV at 11 PM, here comes the Fox 4 guy with a serious look on his face. " Things changing, now looks like 37 - 39 in Englewood. That woke me up, threw on a jacket and shot out to turn on the lights and then haul in the 4 potted babies.
    Still a bit edgy after nodding off, I instinctively popped awake at 05:25 AM, turned on the inside lights so I could see the outside thermometer, and saw a solid 39 degrees !f that would have hung around for 2 + hours, would have messed up 4 of my young mango trees and killed the 2 potted bananas for sure.
    Whew,..just another 3 + weeks,..c'mon Feb 20th,...know I'm not nearly as bad as most of youse guys,..but still more than ready to chill out and stop worrying about the overnight lows. lol
    Now can enjoy the two NFL games today in peace !!

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    i can't wait either !! Then we can start worrying about the hurricanes lol gary

• User
    10 years ago

We fluctuated between 30 and32....all night! Take a few days to see the damage, but it think it will be just burn. DA forecaster saying 5am....DeLand...38????? We have a nice canopy, no damage so far this winter. Come on spring.....stressed out......:)