Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow (Brunfelsia) cold tolerance

solstice98
14 years ago

I've been thinking of replacing one of my perennial beds with a grouping of the Yesterday Today and Tomorrow plant (Brunfelsia pauciflora) so I'm very curious to know how it's holding up to this current cold weather. If you have one in your yard, please report on how it handles this weather.

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (21)

• bodiggly
    14 years ago

Mine looks like a blow torch was used on it. I think it will probably come back this Spring. Oh, Spring, I can't wait.

• hester_2009
    14 years ago

We all have such different exposures - my one brunfelsia is still fine - it's protected for the wind and under a tree canopy. It may not make it through this weekend, however. Such a great plant!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

There are many different varieties. See the link below for some detailed information.

I am growing Brunfelsia australis in Jacksonville, Florida (zone 9A) with no problem. It is a March bloomer and like the linked info says, it is a densely branched, twiggy shrub. It has wonderfully *fragrant* flowers. It is quite cold hardy and I do not cover it at all in winter. I have had it for eight years. I have posted pictures of on the Florida Gardening Forum many times.

My mother, who is also in Jacksonville and about seven miles from me, has Brunfelsia pauciflora. It is a November bloomer and unfortunately, no fragrance. It is much more cold-sensitive. We cover it every year but last year, even with cover, it froze almost to the ground. It came back strong in the growing season. It is covered again this year and we are waiting to see if it will survive.

Each of our shrubs blooms for about a full month.

Good luck with your purchase!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata: Brunfelsia pauciflora

14 years ago

Here are some photos of my Brunfelsia australis. It is planted on the northeast corner of the house.

These first three are from 2006:

And these next two are from 2009. The blooms had started to fade just a bit:

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

Carol, that's what I was missing about Brunfelsia... I didn't realize there were two varieties that were so different. It's the fragrant spring bloomer that I want, so I'll be looking for australis. Good to know that the one I want is also the hardier of the two!

Kate

14 years ago

Kate, I don't know how many varieties/species of brunfelsia there are. Some websites say over 40. (But I don't think they are all YTTs.) See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunfelsia

• norm33625
    14 years ago

I live in Tampa and my YTT which is around 10 or 12 yrs. old. I never covered it (it is against a back brick wall and under a big oak and it has survived. But, I have been here 25 yrs. and it is calling for 28 degrees Sat. night. I don't think I have seen it that low, except maybe the winter of 87, or was it 88? Hope it makes it. You all stay warm.

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    14 years ago

I bought a YTT standard about 13 years ago. It froze to the ground the first winter and then came back but as a bush. It has been growing happily, sometimes dropping leaves when we get a cold snap, but otherwise it was doing just fine. It *was* in full bloom until the frost got it on Saturday. It's too big for me to cover, so I expect to lose all the flowers and most of the leaves. Time will tell how much damage there will be, but I expect a full recovery. One good hint I got several years ago was to make cuttings of all your special plants just in case of frost or hurricane loss. Then you will have a clone. It will be small, but at least you will still have that special plant!
    Linda Leaf

• metal_rabbit
    14 years ago

I like the looks of that plant. What kind of sun does it take in Ocala?

Is it a fussy plant? say compared to native plants and Felder Rushing recommended hardy-type plants?

Thanks.

Sheila

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

I gotta have this plant! I knew a lady in Virginia that had one in a pot she brought in during the cold months. I had forgotten about it until I saw this post. Googling for a place to get it now. Thanks you so much.
    Sharon

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I potted mine and put it in the greenhouse. I believe mine is the brunfelsia australis (scented) one. I have several seed pods on it this year that look to be about mature. Is it worth it to plant these? I know it can be rooted from cuttings but how long to flower from seed??

14 years ago

Mine got hit pretty hard by hard winter freeze, but as in the past, it has come back strong. Here is what it looked like on March 6:

And here is what it looks like this week:

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a great recovery!!!!!!!!!!! If it can do that in this terrible year it should be able to handle anything.

Thanks so much for posting the pictures!

Kate

• jpin9a
    14 years ago

Thats about how mine on the North side of the house performed as well. They are beautiful and I love the scent. We lost a beautiful Hibiscus this year on the east side, but lo and behold, another Brunfelsia is growing literally out from under the roots of the hibiscus. I am going to try to get this new Brunfelsia to grow as full as possible. Right now, it's some leggy branches with some leaves and flowers, but I really need to get it to fill in some more.

Any suggestions on how to get it going? Can I prune it to stimulate some growth in order to get it to fill in more?

14 years ago

Took some photos of my mother's YTT yesterday. Whereas I did not cover mine at all this winter, hers was covered every night of the freeze. Still, it froze all the way to the ground. She has the Brunfelsia pauciflora which is less cold-tolerant. It is coming back from the base and a couple of low branches. Here are photos taken yesterday:

• Amanda Parker
    3 years ago

Jenny did you prune it or trim it at all after the freeze?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Wow thats neat it is coming back from that uch cold.

• Mary Klorres
    3 years ago

Amanda, my name is Mary. I live in Zone 8b in East Texas....was wondering if you ever got an answer from anyone on what to do with your Yesterday Today and Tomorrow. Mine was hit harder than it ever has been...I'm wondering too if I should cut it almost to the ground. Like another person in this discussion, mine looks like it's been hit by a blow-torch! Appreciate any advice!

3 years ago

Every year, it would come back bigger and stronger than ever. As the root system matures, it recovers more quickly. That YTT is huge, now. 😁