Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving a fig tree

Posted by corar JAX9A (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 8:17

Despite the warm weather - so far - it's about time to relocate my Kadota fig tree. My twig in a pot has grown like crazy the past two years (about 7' tall at this time) and this past spring even had fruit. But reading up on this fig tree, discovered it required a lot more sun than it's been getting.
My questions are: since it seems to have trunks in all directions, should I prune them? should I prune the little 'sucker' limbs growing at ground level? And how about the roots - Prune them? I may have to in the process of getting rid of the original pot. How much root pruning can it stand before I've done severe damage? This group always come through with good info which is why I always come here first.
cora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving a fig tree

Cora,

You can prune it anyway you want to...from single trunk tree form to bush form.

You say relocate does that mean you are just moving the pot or are you going to put it in the ground? If ground you will need to score the rootball. Figs are very robust and forgiving.

If you have root knot nematodes in your area make sure to amend the soil if it is going in the ground and they like to be mulched.

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 9:06

o
RE: moving a fig tree

Thanks, B Rabbit. I would love to put it back into a tree tub, but I'm sure it would fare better in ground. I hope eventually, to move it to the farm in Baker County. I would want to be there full time to make sure it survived the relocation so will try to keep it in good health in town until that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here