Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edenh_gw

Need large pots!

edenh
10 years ago

Hi all,
I started buying roses last year and they were too small to put in ground. However, I just found out about nematodes and now I am considering putting them in large pot permanently and just sink the pots in the ground. I am looking for 5 gallon pots as a temporary solution until I can find larger pots (maybe 20-30 gallons size) as the roses are outgrowing their 1 gallon pots. Any ideas where I can get for free? I am trying to figure how to keep the cost down. I also would welcome ideas on how to get organic fertlizer for the roses too.Thanks..

Comments (10)

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

You can try your local landfill. Some landfills have bins for recycling flower pots and they welcome local gardeners to help themselves to the pots. I know that the one in citrus county does this.

As for growing roses you might want to consider buying cracker or china roses. They are much more resistant to bugs and diseases than most hybrid roses. Both my parents and I have had these types of roses growing in the ground for years without giving them any special treatment. A couple of my favorite china roses are Louis Phillip and Mutabilis.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Call landscaping companies - they are happy to give you pots.

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

I buy the 55 gallon plastic blue barrels for $10 locally and cut them in half making two pots per barrel which are 30 gallon size each because the 55 gallon barrels are actually 60 gallon size because of the expansion requirements for shipping liquids. I even plant my orchard trees in the half barrels because of the nematodes. You just cannot beat a 30 gallon pot for only $5 bucks.

Lou

• echobelly
    10 years ago

I've been using plastic recycling type bins. They give the plant plenty of room to grow, and you can find them for a few dollars at dollar stores.

• Irma_StPete
    10 years ago

Lou, how (what tool?) do you use to cut the 55 gallon plastic blue barrel?

• edenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    As for the roses, I didnt know about nematodes problem when I moved here last year..I was so happy with the thought of year round sun that I bought David Austin roses. ..now I am just trying to keep them alive. Oh well.....Thanks again for the great ideas though :)

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

Irma,

I use my reciprocating saw with an all purpose 9 inch blade after I mark a line around the barrel with my sharpie pen. I use a pocket knife to scrape clean the rough edges of the cut after. It cleans up the cut quickly using the knife as a scraper.

Lou

This post was edited by loufloralcityz9 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 16:04

• plantsman56
    10 years ago

If you grow roses that are on Fortuniana rootstock you wouldn't have to worry about nematodes. Planting a pot in the ground will not help keeping them out of the pot. Putting pots on the bare ground will still cause you to get nematodes, if you have a bad problem. Putting the pots on concrete or keeping them on a table is the only way to be safe. Looking around, I have around a dozen half barrels laying around that I don't need any more, just in case. I'm in Lakeland.

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

EdenH,

Where are you?

I am in Thonotosassa.

Veronica

• edenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    I am in Orlando, right behind Disney World