Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

12-18 month tropicals

pnbrown
11 years ago

A question for those of you who have grown pineapples, bananas, papayas and so forth north of Orlando:

I know that one method is to start these in late summer oo fall in pots, and then move them to a protected area for the threat of frost time, and then plant out in the ground to get a harvest in before the next frosts.

My idea would be to skip the whole pots-and-moving routine, which is kind of a lot if trying to produce a large number of plants, and create frost protection in place, for instance maybe about a 3 foot high south-facing masonry wall, dug in to about a foot deep trench and the excavated soil thrown behind the wall for extra mass. That might do it on its own, especially if there were stub walls coming out every 15-20 feet for wind protection. Also one could have tarp-rolls like those used on dump trucks at the top of the wall and when severe frost threatens pull it down to the ground.

It is a sizable investment of labor and materials but might allow indefinite production of the 12-18 month tropical crops which could bring a very high price locally. Just wondering if we think it would successfully bring the young plants through the low-20 degrees F freezes.

Comments (18)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    11 years ago

I think the pineapples would be a good idea to try but bananas and papayas are much taller and the expense would go up dramatically. Dwarf bananas would help a little but not enough for me. Maybe relocate to a warmer zone?

Good luck

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

You never know. I have three pigeon pea plants that are not frost tolerant and they have made it through the winter so far with no damage. We've had some freezing temps, one night below freezing for 8 hours. I thought for sure they would be dead by now. There is a banana in a neighbors yard that's also fine with some bananas on it. I'm about an hour north of Orlando. Another thing to consider is that they may survive but they may not thrive.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know, maybe my pigeon peas have survived as well. I have some short-season cultivars from ECHO that have been moderately productive.

Yes, I agree, the therm-wall is best suited for short plants.

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

I have a long season cultivar that has been very productive. The problem is that they are just now maturing. I planted them last March. I have been looking for a short season cultivar but with no success. Thanks for the info.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If my plants have made seed like they did last year I can send you some no problem. Bump this thread up in a couple of weeks if I forget, or email me. By then I'll be in the estado ensolado, if it be in the will of the gods.

• User
    11 years ago

try as you might, your never going to win here....:) we group stuff in pots ready to move depending on the weather. come march 20th or so, ya smile and go at it again! have had some success here, but it wears on ya.....

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are some of those pineapple?

• User
    11 years ago

no pineapples....mostly succulents and other stuff we start for spring, we do alot of cuttings.....keeps me occupied during the winter months......:)...m

• whgille
    11 years ago

Pat - What do you mean estado ensolado? lol I am also growing pigeon peas and they are covered with beans, they look pretty from the trail, I have them by the fence.
    M and J are the experts from the forum in all things ornamentals.

Silvia

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sunshine state? maybe it doesn't translate.

Yeah, I love the pigeon peas. Looking forward to seeing how they did this year all on their own against the big world....

• whgille
    11 years ago

Pat, I knew what you meant, I was just kidding you. You can say estado de sol. In my opinion everything can be translated as a meaning and not word by word.
    I found out that my pigeon peas were easily bended with strong winds even that they are by the fence, I put stakes on them for support, they don't have strong roots to hold them. I hope that yours are up and producing, mine are loaded with beans...

Silvia

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, estado de sol, con lo cielo maravilhoso tambien (desculpe um pouco do portugues).

The pigeons that I grew last year did not blow down, even though they were out in a large open field. Some were 8-10 feet tall as well. It is surprising, now that you mention it. Maybe it's because growing in pretty sparse soil they were not loaded with pods the way yours probably are (though I picked the pods before taking this photo:

• whgille
    11 years ago

Pat - Your pigeon peas look different than mine, mine are probably 8 feet tall but very flimsy. I got them from the UF sale. Here are some pictures this morning...

The Orange Blossom Trail and the 3 pigeon peas that I have

From inside the garden, notice the stake

And you can also said estado soleado and would sound right and if you like portugues here is one of my favorite songs.:)

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: portugues song

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice blooming plants. I bet the fresh peas are great. Maybe you have one of the typical long-season cultivars, like Guandul, I think your zone is warm enough for it to make peas.

Pienso que 'estado soleado' es perfecta. A respeito de seu link, como eu nao eh um garotinha nao pode dizer que eu adoro-o! Gosto mais da Maria Bethania...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Silvia wrote "M and J are the experts from the forum in all things ornamentals."

Silvia, I hate to be so dumb but this is really bugging me and I need your help. I have been on the forum almost daily since 2002 but I don't know who "J" is. I'm pretty sure by "M" you mean Wallisadi, but who is "J"? I thought of Tom, Anna, Hester... and they are all experts... who is J? Who am I forgetting? I need to go to the right people for ornamentals advice. Would you please help me?

Thanks!
    Carol in Jacksonville

• whgille
    11 years ago

Pat, I like the songs after listening, I was not familiar with her music, next time we have a party I am going to play world music.:)

Carol, you are so funny! But if I remember correctly last time we had the party at my house, we took some pictures to show the garden friends that could not come and in one of them was M (Wallisadi) and J his lovely wife, she likes orchids and succulents as far as I know....M is the front man and J behind the scenes if that makes sense,lol. I hope that with my interpretation they don't get mad at me.

Silvia

• whgille
    11 years ago

Carol - I forgot to add that M and J are experts in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, it is like sort of favorite food or favorite movie stars, we all can decide what we like. And that does not mean that they are the only ones, the thread was not about who are the ornamentals experts? because if that was the question there are many experts here that I value very much their knowledge and information. I was only telling Pat who Wallisadi was since he specifically asked about pineapples...
    I hope that I got myself clear now. Peace. lol.

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Silvia, I don't think anyone could ever be mad at you! Thanks for clearing it up. Since I have yet to get to one of your wonderful Garden Parties, I forgot about the pictures and the names. Thanks for helping me and everyone else out. And peace to you, too. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations