Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leyland Cypress or Southern Red Cedar

Posted by Joey83 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 9:09

So I'm calling around to local tree nurserys and no one is carrying Leyland Cypress trees, but everyone has southern red cedar trees. Is there an advantage one has over the other? Should I just get the cedar or wait until I can find the leyland. I'm just planting them in a row on the back of my property.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leyland Cypress or Southern Red Cedar

There's lots online about these being susceptible to diseases, that they are short-lived, don't do well in wet soil and invariably outgrow their chosen spots in the landscape. I have an Uncle who planted them and regrets it. On the other hand, cedars do well here in our area but don't know if you are in the Southern part of the state, where I'm not sure they would work. But since so many nurseries in your area have them that's probably the best choice.

o
RE: Leyland Cypress or Southern Red Cedar

I live in north FL. I do see some cedars with brown spots and chunks missing from them around here. I would hate to plant them and this happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here