Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

OT - had a visitor this morning

tomncath
12 years ago

Looked out my back picture window just in time to see this. We have a storm culvert between my house and my neighbors that leads back to a mangrove bayou off Tampa Bay. These guys and girls come and go through it and love to use it to trap fish in.

Tom

Comments (27)

• derbyka
    12 years ago

Great pictures!

• funnylady
    12 years ago

Looks like they wanted pictures tank. They are great.

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Love the pictures - thanks for sharing!

A friend of ours could call them to him, he could imitate their calls. He never let get them close with those sharp teeth though.

• czfljo
    12 years ago

Totally cool! Thanks for sharing!

Jo

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Great photos!!! We have them swim and run the banks of our canal sometimes, being very careful to avoid the gaters.

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

WOW!! I love it!!!

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Tom that is amazing! What a beautiful creature that is.

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Awe they look so cute and playful. Great pictures!

• whgille
    12 years ago

Tom

You had some great visitors! Very cute!

Silvia

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

Oh, Tom thank you so much. You made my day. He/she looks the same size as my dachshund! There is a tidal pond across the street and they are known to run around the neighborhood.

Carol B. in Sarasota

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

How lucky you are to have these in your back yard! Thanks for the photos - I think it brought a smile to all that looked.
    Hester

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I glad you all enjoyed the pictures, I love it here. This time of year we get a lot of wild ducks too. I had a couple hundred here up until about 30 minutes ago, I just couldn't get many of them in these pictures.

And last week we had a white pelican visit briefly at the far end of the lake, I was only able to snap a few pictures of him leaving and you really can't tell he's white so I'll add a few pictures from last year below the first two.

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

Wow, those are great pics! I can't wait to show my son in the morning!

• User
    12 years ago

nice pictures! beautiful built in water feature, i'm envious of living on the water. we have squirrels...:)

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

So love the white pelicans! I remember when we first moved here in 1991, we saw a flock in Sarasota Bay - I didn't know such a bird existed! You are so lucky to see them in your back yard (the ducks too)
    I'm with Mark, I have squirrels and a resident possum - not quite as beautiful as your wildlife!!! duh...
    Hester

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I have squirrels too. If I don't grow cherry tomatoes for them they'll get into my Beefmasters :-( And possums live under the wood decking.

Here's a picture of the sunset last night.

And, ducks tearing it up this morning just outside my window but but moved off when I opened the blinds to snap this picture....Bolted broccoli on the right, for the bees.

Tom

• whgille
    12 years ago

Tom, beautiful pictures!

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Silvia, sure makes up for all the bugs I have to deal with having a garden so close to the lake.

I hope everyone enjoys this beautiful Sunday :-)

Tom

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures! May I ask what camera you are using? I have alot of hawks, eagles, ospreys, ducks around the lake I have been trying to get pictures of...I need a better camera!
    Sharon

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sharon, I'm a bit lazy with the camera, I like one that's simple, fairly small and has at least a 15X zoom. I'm using a Panasonic DMC-FZ28, it's three years old now and given how quickly technology advances I'm sure someone can recommend a better camera in the $250-300 range, but this one serves my purpose and as I get older I'm not in such a hurry to chase the latest advances :-)

Tom

• User
    12 years ago

nice glass of wine and THAT sunset......have an extra room? will trade for plants.....:)

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mark, you're welcome over here anytime. I'll fire up the hot tub to go with that glass of wine ;-)

Sharon, Mark is the one to ask about a good camera. Nobody takes a better picture than he does!

Tom

• zzackey
    12 years ago

How awesome! I really miss seeing the white and brown pelicans! We lived in Vero Beach for 16 years. They were so much fun to see. Those and the cormorants. The sunsets aren't as grand here either. We still enjoy it here tho. It got so overcrowded there.

• annafl
    12 years ago

Amazing photos Tom! You're lucky to live in a wildlife wonderland! How fun to see the otters catching fish. I had a family a couple of times in my teeny pond eating my goldfish, but I haven't seen them in a couple of years. Those white pelicans are really special too. Please keep showing us your creatures as you capture them in photos. Made my morning. Thanks.

Anna

• westhamutd
    12 years ago

Great pics-especially of the otter

• judyk_2008 9a DeLeon Sprs. (NW Volusia)
    12 years ago

We have them come and go in our lake. The most I've seen at one time was six. They are so fun to watch. When the water was high, they would chase each other up and over the dock.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just finished a 14 hour day, in this economy work when you can, right? I got some good close-up pictures of the ducks today, too tired to post now, tomorrow....

Tom