Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_elizabeth_b

Strawberries, when and what varieties?

Is anyone having success with strawberries? If yes, when is the best time to plant, and which are the best varieties?

I'd like to have enough for 2 people to enjoy daily, plus can a dozen or so half pint jars each year for jam so input on quantity of plants would be helpful too.

Thanks!!!

Elizabeth

Comments (8)

• zzackey
    12 years ago

We planted ours in October at the ag center. Most stores don't sell them until springtime, which is not the best time to plant them. Festival is recommended for zone 8b. They might be your variety too. Check with your local ag center for the right variety. The ag center fertilizes with Miracle Gro. They are growing alot better than mine that are fertilized with 10-10-10. Sorry I can't tell you how many plants to plant.

• organic_elizabeth_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Zackey and Romy6! Now I have the motivation to get those extra garden beds in this weekend!

Elizabeth

• westhamutd
    12 years ago

You are a little late with planting them,but it is still definately worth doing-You just may get a shorter harvest season.Next Year shoot for November.I've been growing the "Sweet Charlie" variety for a couple of Years.The fruit is excellent & the plants are very productive.I planted 50 plants & at the peak of the season,which lasted for weeks,We were picking almost a lb of fruit daily.This Seasons plants are just getting going & We're getting a handful of fruit daily.I feed them every few weeks with fish emulsion.In late Summer,they will put out runners to make new plants.Let the new plants form & then in November transplant the new plants to a new bed.I did a trial this Year,by leaving the "mother" plants & seeing how they compared to the "daughter" plants in fruit production-the production is less than a third of what the younger plants are putting out,so I will be pulling them soon.I just wanted to try it & see.Also if you have access to pine straw,it makes a great mulch for strawberries.Hope My experiences help & best of luck

• organic_elizabeth_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Westhamutd,

Thank you VERY much for the input. I'm ordering 50 sweet charlie plants today! Final question for all- how far apart do you place the plants?

Elizabeth

• westhamutd
    12 years ago

Glad to help.Plant them 1ft apart in all directions & they will do fine(I'm sure You know this,but don't plant them too deep.Keep the crown above the soil,or they can rot).Best of luck.

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

I have 2nd year strawberries and man are they going crazy!! I guess I am one of the lucky few hoping they make it through this summer as well! :)

• organic_elizabeth_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Organic Momma - glad to hear yours are going great! Now, sadly, I can't seem to find anyone that will ship strawberries at this time of year.... Think I may have to wait till normal shipping season unfortunately.

Thanks to all for the input!

Big box stores have them, but not Sweet Charlie.