Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shuffles_gw

Anyone bothered by GW pop-ups?

shuffles_gw
9 years ago

Here is what you do: (I tried it - it works!)

1. When you're on a GardenWeb page, hover your cursor on the double-underlined word, but don't click it. You will see an advertisement open in a pop-up box.

2. In the upper-left corner of the box, click the 'V' logo. A new browser window will open the Vibrant in-text advertising page.

3. Scroll partially down this page, and click the 'Disable' tab. Click 'Click here to disable.' The page should update to now say 'Click here to enable.'

4. Close the Vibrant in-text advertising browser window, then once you refresh your main browser window the Vibrant in-text advertising should disappear.

Comments (18)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I wouldn't do that. Those sites are notorious purveyors of malware of all sorts, and I'd never click that stuff.

Just get a good adblock for your browser instead.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Firefox + Adblock Plus = No problems.

• kstrong
    9 years ago

I tried the original poster's method -- clicking on the V and then trying to disable from their website. Does not work. Still get the annoying pop-ups. And there is something on that page that says that it doesn't work for ads that are not run by cookies. Just to test that, I disabled ALL cookies for a moment, and these ads are not affected -- still there. So I think they have come up with an ad method that doesn't use the cookies for these. What a huge pain they are. My ad-block and ad-block plus, which I have had installed here for ages, also doesn't block them. What a PAIN IN THE ASS! Going to stop using GardenWeb now. Too damn annoying.

For what it's worth, my browser is Chrome.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

I just try to avoid mousing near a link. Only moderately successful. Kind like birth control through abstinence. :-\ ....only moderately successful.

It's a free site so some annoyance factor is to be expected.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

I've been using Chrome for awhile now on my Mac. Following another GW user's advice on another thread about this prob, I went to the Ad Block Plus page & installed it on Chrome (it's free & I simply clicked to install) & now I can see the linked words in some posts, but they don't pop up any more, unless I click on them.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

For mac folks who use safari, just go to the preferences>extensions>get extensions and download safari adblock.

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This method was recommended by GW. It worked for me. Now, I don't even get the underlined link words.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Running Chrome here at work. I agree, these things have gotten to the point of (almost) making GW not worth the trouble. Who, I wonder, thinks this is a reasonable thing?

At home on my Mac, no such issues.

+oM

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

Gardenweb has pop-ups? I've been running Adblock for so long I had completely forgotten about that.

• irma_stpete_10a
    9 years ago

Blessings on you all. I was going bonkers. Now fixed. Big smile!

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

Those ads made want to reach for a chainsaw.

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

Last week, GardenWeb joined the Houzz family, Is this deal caused the pop-up ads?

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

This is the ONLY thread that has not given me a pop-up ad hovering over the text while I am trying to read it.

Tom, I have tried your method to eliminate the pop-ups and it worked. But now they have come back in the last week or so. Popping up even though I am careful not to hit one with my cursor....

Maybe you are right, JCT.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I installed Adblocker Plus yesterday. I've had no ads since then. It's easy and free.

• greenie1_gw
    9 years ago

Just want to second the Firefox + Adblocker. I never, and I mean never, get popups on GW or any other site. I also recommend Avast for your anti-virus.

• sjerin
    9 years ago

From Tamara earlier today on another GW forum:

Oh, and good news! I did receive some information that the pop-ups should be fixed later today and will no longer randomly and continuously open. The even better news is that once we transition over to Houzz -- no more popups at all!

• sjerin
    9 years ago

From Tamara earlier today on another GW forum:

Oh, and good news! I did receive some information that the pop-ups should be fixed later today and will no longer randomly and continuously open. The even better news is that once we transition over to Houzz -- no more popups at all!

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Funny-I was just noticing that these blasted things weren't popping up today! Good news. Incidentally, I mentioned having the issue here at work running Chrome, and not having the issue at home on my Mac. Thing is, I run Chrome at home too.

I can't control what does or does not get installed here at work-part of a large network with IT people, etc. So the fact GW is dealing with it is best case for me.

+oM