Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a shade tree

Posted by sharbear50 Florida zone 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 9:47

My back patio and porch face west and is very hot and sunny. Any suggestions for a good fast-growing shade tree, that will not uproot my brick paver patio; would be much appreciated. I was looking at the Royal Empress tree until I read how invasive it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a shade tree

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 10:09

o

Nice bamboo Tom. You have a fortress! LOL
My neighbors have too many Oak trees in their yard. But they cannot take them out till they ask permit from the town.

sharbear
Good luck in your search for a shade tree.

Willy

o

Tipuana tipu - Bolivian Rosewood or simply Tipuana, is one of the best. Fast growing, non-invasive root structure, and you'll get flowers several times a year.

o

• Posted by florah z9 Leesburg, Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 16:30

Tipuana is certainly a gorgeous tree.

Sorry for hijacking this thread: I need a native shade tree for a small front yard to replace what I believe is the laurel oak planted by the builder. Going through dozens of websites with pictures and descriptions is overwhelming.
The laurel oak will have a nice shape but brittle wood. The live oak will become too wide, the southern magnolia will become too large, smaller magnolia cultivars look like pyramids which I don't care for.
The soil is sandy and the lawn around the tree gets watered by a sprinkler once a week. The shade tree cannot be moved further to the curb because of the common area there. The small tree in front of the narrow window is a kumquat which I love.
Help!
Photobucket

o

The space is large enough for a Royal Poinciana - Delonix regia. One of the most beautiful natives we have. I'm guessing from the shade of the oak, the front of the house is the south side. It should work, even in Leesburg.

o

For everyone one asking about tree's, Green Buttonwood is arguably native (but welcome and non invasive). Some say it is native other say no. It is a cousine of the silver buttonwood.

Grows moderately fast, about 15 foot wide. Royal Poinciana are beautiful, but not native.

Before forking over the cash consider this book https://my.sfwmd.gov/pls/portal/PORTAL.wwv_media.show?p_id=10518714&p_settingssetid=927145&p_settingssiteid=0&p_siteid=2434&p_type=basetext&p_textid=10519735

This is the link to florida waterwise which is a great book from the state and offer explanations on all welcome native and non-native varieties. They send it free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Waterwise

o

Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 20:19

Wow, what a gorgeous tree!

However, it has two things going against it. Temperatures in Leesburg are colder than 45 degrees and the tree is not native to the area. We have to replace the laurel oak with a canopy tree that is native to Central Florida.

o

florah, What about hollies like the Dahoon or East Palatka, there is even a weaping Yaupon Holly if you want a more different look.

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 21:55

Gumbo Limbo grows fast, beautiful, gets big.

o

I agree Gumbo Limbo will give you a big shade tree in a
hurry.
Put a Royal Poinciana on the other side of driveway.

o

Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 11:20

Thank you for the many suggestions. You have thought of gorgeous trees for zone 10. Alas, I am only at the border of 9a and b. The original poster should have a good selection now.

the gardenzone, I thought of hollies at first, but most hollies have a pyramidal shape and they are too short to provide enough shade. I really want a rounded canopy on a single trunk.

Now I am thinking of ulmus alata - winged elm ... or I might leave the laurel oak in place after all.

o

Florah,
I'm in z9 on the east side of Orlando and I have a beautiful Tipuana tipu. I can't imagine a prettier tree for our area. Ricky recommended it to me several years ago and the moment I saw it I knew I needed one! It took me a while to find, but it was well worth it. I have seeds if you are interested and patient!

Kate

o

Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 13:15

Thank you for the offer, Kate. I am sorely tempted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here