Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold protection for big pots...tips?

Posted by jrzgurl 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 10:05

I have 3 big ceramic pots that are to heavy to bring inside. In the past I covered with plastic & bed sheets (not in conjunction) and stakes. But I still had damage. They are not close to any electric so lighting is out. Any tips are appreciated. Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold protection for big pots...tips?

Go to the thrift store and ask for some raggedy QUILTS or comforters. Make sure to secure them to the pots or the wind will blow them off.

o

You can't run extention cords?

o

If the pot can be tipped over, do that, so the foliage is closer to the ground where ground heat will help protect the plant. Then cover with heavy quilts as previously mentioned, being very sure to go all the way to the ground with some extra material on top of the ground to help trap in the ground warmth. I also use cement/wood blocks to lay on top of the quilts (on the ground) to hold in place. Without adding any heat source, that is your best bet.

Christine

o

Hi
Over the years I've had the best luck with a product called "Frost cloth" Very light weight can be left in place til after the cold front best of all will not overheat after sunrise
They make this in several weights and also have a type that produces heat by chemical reaction
I have some of the last type but haven't needed it since I bought it lol. Maybe this year I'll find if it really works ?? Hope not !!! good luck gary

o

You can also use trash cans if the plant or pot will fit or big corrugated boxes! I stopped buying plants that won't take the cold. I can't move pots anymore. Big or small.

o

You can also use trash cans if the plant or pot will fit or big corrugated boxes! I stopped buying plants that won't take the cold. I can't move pots anymore. Big or small.

o

If you are getting a serious freeze like in the 20's and have anything good in those pots that is tender, you could:
Run a heavy duty extension cord out there that has 3 outlets on it.Then plug the xmas lights into that.
I got a heavy duty outdoor extension cord at Lowes that has 3 plug in's on it for some stuff outside that is far from electrical plugs. It is dark green. Not sure how long it is but it is pretty long!

The other option is to get a hand truck. We got one at Harbor Freight (sp) for a decent price. A light duty one would prob be good enough just to move big pots around. I use mine a lot in the fall and spring to move heavy ceramic, clay, and concrete planters if I absolutely have to.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 11:18

o

You can put jugs of water around the pot, inside the sheet.

o

Ok so I took my hantdtruck & moved 3 of the pots to under the lanai, covered them with a comforter tucking in & weighting down the sides. X's fingers

o

Sounds like a plan!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here