Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumquat from seed?

Posted by abendwolke 9 FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 10:08

I have a question to our Citrus experts (Lisa?)...

I tasted a really yummy Kumquat and kept a couple of them. Since the owner of the tree can't tell me the variety, I was hoping I could grow my own from the seeds.

Searching online, it says on several sites Kumquat don't do well on their own roots (Somehow doesn't make sense to me, it is a plant, why would it not grow), is that so, and should I not even bother to try?

But IF I should try, what is the best method to get them to sprout?

Evelyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumquat from seed?

• Posted by florah z9 Leesburg, Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 18:53

Evelyn,

I suspect that the seed won't come up true because my kumquat tree is grafted onto a different rootstock.

The citrus seeds I have tried so far (not the kumquat) have all come up wild and thorny. I stuck them in potting soil and covered the pots with plastic wrap from the kitchen until they sprouted.

o

Kumquats need to be grafted.

Christine

o

I love Kumquats too.But only the small sour skinny ones YUM!

o

News to me that St. Joseph , Florida is the Kumquat capital of the world !

Visit us at the
Kumquat Festival
Dade City, Florida
Saturday
January 31st, 2009
2009 Open House - Jan 29th and 30th

Here is an interesting link :

Here is a link that might be useful: Kumquat Growers, Inc

o

I have a very old Kumquat tree in my back yard that was growing there on the lot before my house was built. It has huge thorns (some almost 2 inches long!). I am wondering if this was perhaps grown from seed years ago. The fruit is extremely sour, much more so that eating a lemon. Is it normal for kumquats to be so sour? Could it be that this is because it was grown from seed?

o

jkrup44 ~ I have never seen a kumquat that had thorns, not even little ones. Kumquat skins are sweet enough to eat even though the juice inside is sour. But, it sounds like yours are extra sour. With the tree having long thorns and extra sour fruit, I would say that your tree is likely a seedling.

Take a look at the trunk near the ground to see if you can find a graft line.

Are you sure that the tree is a kumquat? It sounds like it could be a rangpor lime, especially if you find a graft line. I have one that hasn't fruited and it's fruit is supposed to be very sour. It's a cross between a lemon and tangerine.

Christine

o

I too find the "won't grow well on its own roots" thing weird.
I see this comment often on sites with Kumquat information.

If kumquats would not grow on their own roots, well then there would be NO kumquats.
I think this needs to be qualified to "Won't perform as commercial kumquat growers would prefer without grafting"

Depending on the soil and climate conditions, yes, grafting can IMPROVE kumquat tree's production in that environment, but I really don't think this has much relevancy to home growers of a tree or two.

I personally started about eight trees from seed a year or so ago and they are doing fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here