o
growing hydrangeas in florida

Posted by chris561 9 or 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 10:36

Can I grow hydrangeas in zone 9 or 10?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing hydrangeas in florida

In zone 9 Hydrangeas can do very well if planted getting morning sun. Afternoon sun is too much for them. They also need good air circulation to prevent mildew.

o

I live in Western PB County and have 3 plants. They get morning sun and lots of afternoon shade. The last cold snap hurt them some, but they have lots of new growth. All you can do is try and see if it works for you.

Beverly

o

The 'Endless Summer' truly blooms all year. In the winter months I still have the somewhat dried up flowers and even they look good.
I have them potted up and some inground.

Evelyn

o

WOW!! Evelyn that is beautiful.

I have a little tiny shred of an overpriced Lukas Garden Center Red Hydrangea that has struggled in its spot for three years. After the original plant lost its branches the remainder just sits there. It has one branch and is under 5" (that is INCHES) tall.

It is in a very shady spot - do I need to / dare to move it to a morning sun spot as per Felix's recommendation? I suppose I have little to lose!

Anita

o

Evelyn, what a beautiful plant you have!
Olya

o

I just bought 2 Nikko Blue bare root plants at Lowes, the last was half price 2.50. I do have several others that are under an oak tree and they did pretty good this past summer. I had transplanted them from a sunny side of the house the Nov. before.

o

The native Oakleaf Hydrangeas grow well in zone 9.
Photobucket

o

Karalynn, thank you for this information! This plant looks nice , and is going on the wish list :-)

Olya

o

Olyagrove,
Lowes had the Oakleafs as bare root plants on sale for a couple of dollars. Worth a try. We have one that we brought back from NC a few years ago and it loves in under a big Oak tree. It is now about 8ft tall when it has its leaves and has a nice fragrance.

o

I grow them on the north side of my house in Jacksonville. Here is a photo of last year's blooms:

Hydrangea

o

• Posted by evak 10A NFtMyers (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 14:44

Our local paper has a gardening Question-and-Answer column each week and a recent column included an inquiry about hydrangeas. Our county agent stated they couldn't be grown here in SW FL as it wasn't cool enough. My husband read the letter to me, and I trotted him outside to view my very healthy blue hydrangea! It was one of those potted plants available in the grocery stores around Easter and I planted it about four years ago.

o

I do believe you all have inspired me to try growing hydrangea. I saw the bare-root ones at Lowe's, but hesitated because I always assumed they were strictly zone 8 and cooler. Hmmmm....

love_the_yard, that is what I was thinking about... north side of the house. May have to try that.
cool pics guys!

o

Very important to NOT plant these in front of your home - unless you don't mind brown sticks in the winter. These plants are deciduous and lose their leaves in winter (vs. evergreen where green foliage is persistent year round).

For plants in front of the house (in a shady place, similar to hydrangeas), I recommend camellias - a much better choice. No pruning, green year-round and beautiful flowers in fall/winter/early spring, depending upon variety.

-Carol

o

Camelias are beautiful, just be careful what varieties you plant around windows. Some camelias can get huge! Also if you're in an area prone to frosts, try to get a camelia that's resistant to bud blast (that's when a camelias flower buds will all fall off due to a heavy freeze).
There's only two of my mom's camelias in the top picture.
ever blooming camelia bush 2
ever blooming camelia flower

o

Not to worry. Camellias are very slow-growing compared to almost any other shrub. You'll have years and years before camellias get too big. And when you do have to prune them, well... you'll have years and years before you have to do it again. Heck, there are some shrubs you have to trim every week! Camellias aren't bad at every five years!

o

Beautiful camellia, Karalynn !
Olya

o

love_the_yard ; I have those "sticks" in my front yard and dearly love them because they originated in my grandmothers yard in orlando and were brought to this N. Fla yard many yaers ago by my father. I do not know what to do with the sticks tho at this time of the year. Last years blooms were unattended and still sit atop many of the sticks. Do I need to cut the flower stems? Other stems?
Down to the ground with all of them or what? I dont mind how they look, I just want to treat them right to encourage growth and blooms this year.

o

OKAY...SHELLFREAK !

how do you do it ?

How does it look in hot/wet August ?

In the ground.... or a pot ?

inquiring minds want to know ! LOL

o

I am new to growing hydrangeas. My daughter is getting married next year and wants them in her bouquet. I thought it would be a fun project. After scouring the stores I actually found some today at the grocery store. They are the Venice variety. A BEAUTIFUL, spectacular shade of blue. So reading the forum, I have a nice spot on the north side of my house the will get morning sun, and is well ventilated and breezy. Anything else? Fertilizer? How much water? What type of "acid" should I use to make them blue?
Thanks for your advice and help. I'll post pics of the wedding
Claudia

o

I have a oakleaf hydrangea in the ground about 4 years and it is only a few stems about 2 feet high. It gets a rusty look around the edge of the leaves. Right now it's not quite as bad . It's getting a little morning sun but I suspect mayby to little. Im not sure what kind of fertilizer to use. Please advise.

Pat

o

Hopeful in Brevard; I also have a 4 year old oakleaf hydrangea. I have been trimming it to shape it but it is about 6 feet tall. Mine always seems to have that rusty look to it too. If it wasn't in a woodsy setting I would have removed it because it just isn't a pretty plant because of that persistent rust. I mulch mine heavily and feed it with 8-10-10 just once a year in the spring. It gets morning sun with filtered afternoon shade. If your plant is only 2 feet high, that probably means that it isn't getting enough water and fertilizer. If you want to give the plant a boost, give it half strength Miracle grow every couple of weeks for a while in addition to some 8-10-10. Be sure to put 3-4 inches of mulch around that plant to help keep it moist. Hopes that helps.

o

Try DOMBEYA X SEMINOLE, you won't be dissapointed.

o

I LOVE the pics!! I can't wait until mine get big enough to bloom. I have seen some people post about buying bare root hydrangeas and cuttings from lowes for only a few dollars. Where do they put them??? I will ask a clerk next time I go. Is it a certain season?

I have a french hydrangea that was started as a cutting but has some leaf spot so I have to figure out how to cure it. I also have a varigated hydrangea. I also ordered a Pee gee hydrangea and an oak leaf Hydrangea. I really want a bicolor one... I think it is called a buttons and bows or Harlequin.

I also ordered a Camelia. From the looks of the pics... I need to get some more. I love them too. My back yard gets the morning sun and afternoon shade so that works perfect for me.. put the Hydrangeas in the back and Camelias in the front. The pee gee can handle sun so I Plan to put them in the front.

My Varigated

Photobucket

My sick one.. I think it is called a french hydrangea

Photobucket

AND>>>> THIS is my dream!

Photobucket

o

Thanks Happy: It does look greener since the summer rains. I wonder what the rust is and if there is anything can be done about it? I will mulch it and try the mericle grow as you suggest.

o

Hi Hopeful in Brevard; Rust is a type of fungus. If you would like to spray the plants for fungus, use Immunox or Daconil. They are the best multi-purpose fungicides for non-food plants. They won't fix the leaves already damaged. It will be for the new growth. You'll need to spray at least every 2 weeks. Be sure to use a pump sprayer which will allow you to get underside the leaves.

o

Hello to all you Hydrangea lovers! My mother gave me one of her Hydrangea plants a few weeks back. When she gave it to me it had one big pink bloom and about 5 budders. Just yesterday I fed it some "Miracle-Gro For Acid Loving Plants". I came to check on it the next day only to find it had wilted pretty bad. Did I over fertalize it? I used the product my mother reccomended because thats what she used to get it to start blooming. I need help, I don't know what to do. Is ruined for good? By the way how do I post pictures to show you? Thank You!

o

what time of year will i have to cut it back?

o

I've added a sprinkle of used coffee grounds into the soil and had beautiful multi-color (like the florida sunset)in my white mini-roses, will that also work for hydrangeas or will the acidity be to much, this florida soil is testy enough, I'ld hate to kill my plants? I know it will probably bring out warm colors, like in my roses. What about pine needles for mulch does that help or hinder the hydrangeas? Thaks from Florida.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here