Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Cucumbers just won't give up :-)

tomncath
12 years ago

These cukes are amazing me. They look terrible yet are still pumping out picklers that are making great slicers. I picked another dozen last night and gave them to visiting friends, should have gotten a picture after picking. Note they are still blooming.

Tom

Comments (16)

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

Hi, TomCath,

One year I canned 32 quarts of pickles. I never wanted to see another cuke in my lifetime! And other years
    they just don't produce.

I'm going to have to start some Everglades tomatoes. I've had dismal tomato luck for the last few years, here and on the Cape. It must be me.

Carol B. in Sarasota

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful! I just started mine....

Darn it...late to the cucumber party again!

• amberroses
    12 years ago

I finally pulled mine last week due to the dreaded pickelworm. I say keep harvesting as long as they keep producing. I wish I had a pool cage.

• organic_elizabeth_b
    12 years ago

Wow Tom, that is awesome! I've got my spring ones just sprouted and have high hopes for this coming season....

Elizabeth

• saldut
    12 years ago

What is the name of those pretty little things, and where did you get the seeds ? thanx, sally

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Nice cukes, Tom! The sweet baby girls are growing nicely, btw, thank you so much for the seed!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to have to start some Everglades tomatoes. I've had dismal tomato luck for the last few years, here and on the Cape....

Hi Carol, I grew yellow currant tomatoes this fall and they have been just as prolific and tasty as the Everglades...if you want I'll send you some seeds for them, more color for your salads ;-)

Darn it...late to the cucumber party again!

Not really SPF, now's the time for us here in Zone 10 to start cukes for our traditional spring season. I'm just realizing that it may be possible for me to grow cukes here year around since these are hanging on so long and I've actually experienced that with okra.

...I've got my spring ones just sprouted and have high hopes for this coming season....

Wishing you the best of luck Liz, keep us posted.

What is the name of those pretty little things, and where did you get the seeds ?

Hi Sally, they're Corentine. I have plenty of seeds but you're so close to the water that even spraying weekly you'd lose the battle quickly to pickle worm since you have no screened area with filtered sunlight. :-(

....The sweet baby girls are growing nicely, btw, thank you so much for the seed!

Hi Tina, let me know how they do for you. I honestly think this one is going to replace Sweet Chelsea and Husky Cherry Red as my work-horse cherry tomato.

Tom

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, Tom! I've started two cukes from seed...not much seems to be happening though. Grrr....

Maybe I have bad seeds. I'll try again with a fresh pack. I'm using seeds left over from 2010.

I just bought a pack of Bush Cukes. I've never tried to grow these before. Might be a good choice! Who knows!

• annafl
    12 years ago

Wow, Tom, that's a great testimonial for those corentine cukes! Amazing that they've produced that much for that long. Makes me ache for cucumber salad! Did you ever plant the sweet treat carrot seeds I sent a long time ago? This year I'm trying nelson pelleted seeds and they've sprouted well and are easier to space. We'll see if the flavor is as good as the sweet treats. I have to get with it and plant my cukes already. Can't wait.

Anna

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did you ever plant the sweet treat carrot seeds I sent a long time ago? This year I'm trying nelson pelleted seeds and they've sprouted well and are easier to space. We'll see if the flavor is as good as the sweet treats. I have to get with it and plant my cukes already. Can't wait.

Hi Anna, these are your Sweet Treat carrots. I've got them growing in a 5 gallon bucket.

Tom

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pulled Anna's Sweet Treat carrots out of the 3.5 gallon bucket last Sunday, they are wonderful!

Tom

• annafl
    12 years ago

Oh Tom, they look great! I love the taste. Makes me sorry I didn't plant them this season. My nelsons are looking good though, although they are still small. Thanks for showing me.

Anna

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My pleasure Anna, the Sweet Treats have a wonderful taste, we'll be growing them every year ;-)

I pulled the cuke plants today, started spring seed last weekend. I'm amazed how long this parthenocarpic Corentine has produced cukes, I seeded my buckets the last week of August and started harvesting cukes by mid-October. Usually I lose the battle to pickleworm down by the lake at about 6 weeks of harvesting so I'm thrilled to have been getting these cukes for 15 weeks inside the pool cage :-)

Here's a few pictures of the last cukes, they are smaller but I'm sure the bucket soil is exhausted of nutrients at this point, time to use it for pole beans.

Tom

• annafl
    12 years ago

I will have to plant them again next year, Tom. Wow, those cukes look great.

Anna

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Anna,

These cukes do very well in filtered sun, mostly shade, and since I rarely get frost I'm honestly thinking I may be able to grow them year around just like I can do with okra. We stopped growing okra because we're not big gumbo fans and fried is soooooo bad, but we just bought some dehydrated okra from the Fresh Market in St. Pete and all I can say is WOW! I've just found a new snack! I may go back to growing okra through out the year :-)

Tom

• rene09
    12 years ago

My cukes are up, hoping for the weather to stay warm, so I can put them in the ground! Have cherry tomatoes up also, will plant them in buckets!

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County