Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whazzup_fl

Identify this plant from neighbor

whazzup
9 years ago

My neighbors have planted something against my back fence that has popped up on my side of the fence. It's interesting but I wonder if it's something I'll be fighting! I don't know if I should leave what popped up in my yard or pull it up asap.

It grows from the ground like a cane or bamboo with stalks. The leaves are green with purple underside. It grows FAST and laughs at cold temps. I estimate it to be about eight foot tall on the neighbors side, so far.

Can anyone identify?

Pup on the right side of frame is Bella. :)

Comments (14)

• whazzup
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the photo of it peeping over my 6 ft fence.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Clerodendrum quadriloculare common name Shooting Star. It blooms in the winter and travels underground the rest of the year. You'll have some on your side of the fence before you know it.

• whazzup
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Yes, that's it. I looked at pictures and found some of it in bloom which should be within a few weeks from now. I read that it is recommended that it be kept in pots to keep it from becoming invasive.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

Just so you know, I have been perpetually fighting this plant in a 300+ sq ft (and growing!) area. There are sprouts coming up dozens of feet away from the parent clump. They are extremely resistant to any kind of weed killer. I even tried an extreme method of drilling a hole in one of the parent stumps and pouring a bit of gasoline into the hole. A month later that same stump put out 5 more stems. And not only have I been fighting these runner sprouts, but I have been fighting the seedlings as well. So planting in pots will not confine them for long.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Leekle2ManE - have you tried using Spectricide or RoundUp concentrate? Don't dilute it and paint it on all cut surfaces and pour it into that hole. It worked for me on some shefflera and ixora. It killed the roots and they finally quit coming up in my yard. I have no experience with this plant you are fighting, but it might be worth a shot. I treated them several times to be sure I killed the plant.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

RoundUp won't kill it. I've been fighting mine for a dozen years. The only thing you can do is yank the new shoots out of the ground.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

I have also tried Round-Up... well, glyphosate and at most it caused the leaves to curl a bit, but it quickly recovers. As Fawn said, the best method is pulling them up, but each bit of root left underground brings another sprout to pull. After reading this today, I went out to browse the ground and pulled up another 20 or so sprouts coming up, and one of those sprouts was actually growing from a 1/2" piece that had landed in the soil next to the concrete pad I use to dry them out before throwing them in my biochar kiln. So it really doesn't take much to produce a new plant with this thing. And it also means I have years and years of pulling ahead of me before I finally, if ever, weaken it enough that it doesn't return.

• whazzup
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think the neighbor would appreciate me ripping it out of their yard so I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. At least the butterflies will like it when it blooms.

• hester_2009
    9 years ago

When you see the blooms, you may change how you feel about this plant. I have to alert my neighbors when the flowers appear because they don't want to miss it.
    I think some plants seem to be more invasive than others. After four years with my two huge clerodendrums, I have pulled maybe 10 small ones up. Easy to do and well worth it to have the trees. imo
    Hester

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Too bad the RoundUp or something similar doesn't work on this plant. I can tell you it also doesn't work on asparagus ferns. The previous owner must have really liked them. I have them sprouting up everywhere and I can't seem to dig up all the rhizomes.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

The cut/treat application of concentrated glyphosate will help knock the stuff back, but it will be a struggle for a time to come. Garlon-style herbicides are often used for this type of work, and may be helpful here.

Maybe you can install a root barrier-the dimensions would have to be substantial-to hold the thing back from your side of the line for a while.

+oM

• starryrider
    9 years ago

Try using a brush killer on it that contains triclopyr.

• User
    9 years ago

Works nice in our garden, let the newbies you want to stay, cut the other ones off and propagate them. Easy to start! Very controllable, if you don't see that coming up in your garden, your in the house too much...........