Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Fresh eggs in St. Pete?

SaintPFLA
12 years ago

Does anyone know if there is anywhere to buy fresh eggs in St. Pete?

I was thinking of doing the 'backyard hen house' until I realized how much work I'd be adding to my already overflowing plate. So, buying fresh eggs is a better alternative!

I'm not interested in driving to Ruskin or Tampa, so if it's not close to St Pete, it's not going to happen.

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• saldut
    12 years ago

I know there are folks here who grow chickens... when I go to Neeld-Gordon's for my rose-food he has piles of bags of chicken-feed.... I just get my eggs at Publix, but sure wish there was a fresher local source, as well... sally

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe we can make a deal with our GardenWeb friends who like raising chickens to sell us a few eggs... ;)

I buy mine at Publix too. I wish I had more free time...I'd love to have a hen house.

• stuartwanda
    12 years ago

I get a free doz. when I visit my son over in Okeechobee but that isn't often. I think winter is when they don't lay much if at all. Why not go to Craigs List in your area, you might get lucky there.

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

You can't beat fresh eggs. Floralcity Lou keeps me well supplied....not sure what he does to those chickens but they lay lots of eggs. Put in a coop if you can. I am adding ducks as soon as spring arrives.

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

My chickens lay eggs the full year round even with cold in the teens. I feed them twice a day with pellets and also make pancakes for them. They love the attention and produce well. I also throw 'scratch' grains on the ground to keep them busy.
    I have Rhodes Island Reds, the best layers of brown eggs.
    Barred Rocks, good layers of dark brown eggs.
    Americana, good layers of blue/green eggs.

Lou

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Do you have a green market? Ours sells eggs, but for legal reasons they have to sell them as "pet" eggs. They're just fine for human consumption, too, though.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Some of the feed stores sell fresh eggs, cows milk, cream etc. Our feed store offered me $2 per dozen for eggs. I usually sell mine as fertile eggs for hatching and get way way more than that though lol. The ones I'm not selling we eat or I give to friends or the dog haha!
    Of course this is near Jax but probably, some of the other feed stores do the same. Other places to check are Craigslist and local farmer's markets.

Chickens are easy to keep. If you just wanted eggs all you need is a few hens (no rooster) that are hatchery quality. Sexlinks, rhode island reds, leghorns, orpingtons, barred rocks or something similar. Hatchery stock are bred for egg laying ability because they make most of their $ selling pullets for that purpose. So really great for people who want good egg layers and not show stock.
    Our chickens are totally spoiled and free range much of the day on 3+ acres. They get plenty of greens, bugs, and fed scratch and good feed just like a chicken should.
    However, their all time favorite is cornbread lol. Sometimes on cold mornings they get warm oatmeal. They eat all the wild blackberries, grapes and beautyberries when they are in season that they can reach.

• billbrandi
    12 years ago

Try Graham's on 54th Avenue in Kenneth City/Pinellas Park; great place for fresh veggies/fruit. Eggs? Never asked but they might have them.

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Downtown St. Pete has the Sat.Morning Market, but I have never seen any fresh egss eing sold there. :(

It'd be great to be able to go somewhere to buy fresh milk and fresh eggs vs. Publix. Publix is great, but no store can compete with "fresh".

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Saintpfla, if there's anyone selling free range chicken, ask them. Our chicken vendor brings them but they don't promote them (don't need to), and I'm sure lots of people don't realize they're there.

• derbyka
    12 years ago

I laughed when I saw this post because I was just thinking of posting the same question yesterday. I don't think I have seen local eggs at Grahams. Just checked craigslist and found that there is going to be a St. Pete Chicken Swap Jan 28. The host sells fresh, organic eggs $5/dozen, 455 33rd Ave. North. 727-331-5972. That is the only one I saw actually in St. Pete. Expensive but close.

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

Saturday Morning Market.. The Dancing Goat Booth.. fresh chicken eggs, quail eggs, and raw milk.. She is there EVERY week!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dancing Goat Facebook Page

• saldut
    12 years ago

I would be leery of 'raw milk'... it is pasteurized for a very good reason.... the Times had a write-up awhile back abt. keeping chickens here, I think the Council approved up to 4 hens for a backyard ? Gulfport had a flap abt. Council trying to regulate the chickens, apparently they do have lots of private coops also free-running, and folks got their knickers in a knot when Council tried to regulate their chickens !! Also the Pinellas County got into it and I'm not sure what they decided, for the County, not the cities.... sally

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks OrganicMomma89...I didn't know there was a resource at the Sat Morning Market! I'll have to make a trip next Sat for sure! :)

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

Hey no problem I love her (her name is pam) she has all sorts of goodies and always sells out of most items.. if you get a chance her goat milk soap is AWESOME as well :)

Here is a link that might be useful: I did a post about her awhile ago.. might be worth it for everyone to check out

• sis3
    12 years ago

Anyone know of a fresh egg source here in N. Pinellas? I have been trying for years to find a good source!

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Hey SPF, I know this post is a little old but if you're making a trip across the Gandy bridge anytime soon I found this post. I was amazed that there was a working farm in south Tapma so close to the Air Force base.

Tom

• sis3
    11 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this, Tom. I am going to check this place out! It could provide the answer to my long search for fresh free range eggs and I can buy honey there too!

• tomncath
    11 years ago

My pleasure SIS, can you believe this exists in south Tampa?

Tom

• sis3
    11 years ago

No! It's intriguing, I can't wait to take a look!

• organicart001
    5 years ago

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

I saw eggs being sold at Mustang flee market in Pinellas Park last Saturday

• organicart001
    5 years ago

At what prices?