Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Looking for gardening friends!

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

I live in Titusville. Looking for some local people to share their gardening advice with me, as well as swap plants. Anyone else in my area feeling like they're alone around here?

Comments (15)

• thetradition
    11 years ago

I'm in Deltona/Osteen, about 45 minutes away or so from your location. I have many more African Iris, yellow-flowering Aloe, and blue Lily of the Nile plants than I need, and they can be easily dug up and transplanted. I have lots of other plants that can be propagated easily from cuttings, such as Sleepy Hibiscus (a.k.a. Turk's Cap), a varigated hibiscus variety (I think it's called 'Snow Queen'), burgundy-red Shrimp Plants, and Cape Honeysuckle (the hummingbirds love those last two). I also have plenty of orange Dwarf Poinciana seeds.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have more than I need of a lot of things, too. But I don't know how to do that properly. I have TONS of Boston Ferns (and I had no idea how much they love it here!), quite a few coral colored flowering aloe (they grow so big so FAST) I have two small Sagos that I just don't want because I don't have a good spot to keep them in. I also have some Giant Agave extras. I have Glorybower, Sansiveria, and Philodendrons to trade also. Oh, and I have Staghorn ferns but I don't know how to propagate. I would love some African Iris, yellow flowering Aloe, Shrimp plants, AND the blue Lily of the Nile! I don't need any more Hibiscus... yet. I do have a beautiful one called Spin-The-Bottle.. but again don't know how to propagate. I have Cape Honeysuckle and would love to learn how to make more. Also, I just looked up the Dwarf Poinciana and it's gorgeous! You have more extra stuff than I do!

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Propagating from cuttings is easy if the plant is suited for it. There's a product called "Root Tone" which helps. Simply cut a branch about 8" to 10" long with a sharp, clean cut. Then, strip the leaves from the bottom of the cutting (roots will emerge from the spots where the leaves attached to the stem). Keep a few of the top leaves, but not many. They'll probably eventually wilt and die, but the plant needs the light energy to regrow. Dip/dust the bottom of the stick with the Root Tone, and put the plant in a rooting medium (I find MiracleGro seed-starting mix to work well). Keep the cutting in a shady area and keep it moist (but not wet). Putting a plastic bag over the pot helps retain moisture, but don't let the sun hit such a set up or your plant will fry. It'll look terrible for a while, but if you're successful, you should see new growth start to emerge in several weeks. Once it's growing well, gradually acclimate to more sun, and transplant when the root system is well developed.

The Sleepy Hibiscus, Snow Queen Hibiscus, Shrimp Plants and Cape Honeysuckle on my property were all started from cuttings. I didn't buy any of them.

You can see some of the Sleepy Hibiscus in the background of the picture (red flowers that don't open all the way). These bushes get REALLY big and are absolutely covered with red flowers this time of year.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What's in the middle of the picture? It's gorgeous. Also, do I have anything you'd want?

• thetradition
    11 years ago

The plant with the big white and pink bloom is a 'Rebel Yell' camellia. That's something that I did have to purchase! Your Glorybower is something I'd be interested in. Do you know what variety it is? I understand you can propagate those from root suckers as well as cuttings?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know what kind it is. It was given to me by a friend. I'll attach a picture, but keep in mind it has been affected by our two light frosts. It propagates easily and readily, at least THIS one I know how to do! Mine grew from a single 8" tall stem to over 5' tall from April to September! I cut it back a little in October because it was blocking my view of the pool. I've taken cuttings and added on either side of it, all in that same season, so you're seeing four plants total.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

That's a very nice plant. Probably the "Flaming" or "Javanese" variety of Glorybower. I'd be happy to trade for one of them.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll take any of the things listed above that you're willing to part with. I'll dig up one of the larger of the "babies" in the picture. Now, how do we trade? Should I get it recovered from its uprooting before we trade? Do we meet somewhere? You are welcome to come here. It's up to you.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I made my email address accessible... or visible... whichever.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

That is Clerodendrum speciosissimum, an absolutely stunning shrub - yours look wonderful!

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the ID, Kayjones! And thanks for the compliment! You should have seen it when it was at it's best this past summer, before I cut it back! Here is what it looked like in August... but by October, it had gotten 2-3' taller. :)

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

Titusville is my hometown! I left in 2011 once the shuttle program was ending and the space center got all messed up!

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love it here in Titusville. Nothing short of a zombie apocalypse could get me to budge. LOL!

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I live in Lake Mary, kind of midpoint between the two of you guys. I have easily propagated Night Blooming Jasmine, Persian Shield, Red Shield Hibiscus, and Sweet Caroline Ornamental Sweet Potato from cuttings, have all those to trade. Just potted some babies from my Crinum Lily, have seeds from Dwarf Poinciana and Popcorn Cassia, too. Oh yes, the Firespike and Cigar Plant are easy to root from cuttings if you are interested. Will happily load up my truck and travel!

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, Morningloree, let's make a plan!
    I haven't started any cuttings, so do I need to do that... or do you want to just bring what you've got and take what you want from my plants?
    (I would love to have everything except the Jasmine and Crinum... I have too much of those already)
    Email me at bangelich@cfl.rr.com and we'll figure out the details!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting