Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Carol in Jacksonville...getting any sleet/snow/ice?!?!

puglvr1
10 years ago

Hi Carol...watching the news and weather, are you in the path of this sleet/ice/snow?

Anyone else living in that area that normally doesn't see this type of weather and right in the middle of it?

We've been very lucky here, when they were forecasting this a week ago...it looked like we were going to get some pretty serious "freezing temperatures" also, nothing compared to what they are dealing North of us...but freeze damage was very likely...Thank goodness we did not end up in its path.

I hope everyone is safe and there's not too much damage to your plants and gardens...Best of luck!!

Comments (13)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Hi Pug!

No, we haven't so far and it is not expected. We are at 38.1F right now and the low last night was 35.5F. We've had some light rain and drizzle but the big rain/front still hasn't reached us, believe it or not. The low for tonight is forecast to be 30, 31 or 32 depending upon your meteorologist. Lots of us believe the forecasts to be the official temperature at the airport, which is about 20 miles north and west of me.

We HAVE had hard freezes here this year already. All of my gardens look like cooked spinach. It is inevitable. It happens every year at least 2-3 times. I cover and protect everything that is important. I've dragged lots and lots of clay pots in/out of the garage and kitchen several times already. I will do it again tonight because you never really know. I live almost smack halfway between the ocean and the St. Johns River and so I get protection from neither. I'm in a colder microclimate rather than a warmer one in Jax. :( I have planted lots and lots of trees over the years and I am starting to reap big benefits from that!

Sultry Jasmine Nights may be getting more severe weather - she is in north Jacksonville. And Zackey is in south Georgia. She certainly has it much worse. Kay Jones has already posted lots of ice and sleet all over her yard. I know she has had it bad. My guess is that most of you south and central to me are ok.

Thanks for asking! I often feel stuck up here away from the "gang"!

Carol

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hang in there, Carol!

I think it will all be over by March, right? I'm still moving things in and out/in and out, too. It's getting really old, but I keep counting down til that last frost date.

It will be beautiful spring then steaming summer before we know it! And your garden will return to all its glory . . .

~Susie

• jctsai8b
    10 years ago

Freeze warning Thur 12 AM until Thur 9 AM est,

Hope no hard freeze

• User
    10 years ago

HateFlorida winters...41 here, 95% humidity! rain! wind......82 by sat.....

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Carol, it is nice to hear that you didn't get any snow or ice, we also had a very cold and rainy day. Keep warm!

M, I don't like the cold weather either, I am sure that your beautiful garden will return to all its glory coming spring.

Nancy, it is good to know that you didn't get any freezes, so far so good around my area too. With the rain I didn't even think to cover the plants.

Silvia

• zzackey
    10 years ago

36 was our high today. It was predicted that the bridges might freeze. Thank God they didn't! I had a Derm appt. today that took a month and a half to get. I wish I could have stayed home instead!!The roads and bridges were fine, but I was on edge. We have been here almost 7 years and have never seen weather like this here. Tonite and tomorrow could be a different story. About 28 degrees for tonite and lots of rain predicted. Glad I can stay home tomorrow!!!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

We had a severe freeze over three days. Wed. it started out at 27 and go no warmer - it's still at 27 degrees this morning. The buses can't run on the icy side streets, so school's out again today.

My yard would make a wooden man cry - it looks like floral ice sculptures!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

My truck has been iced over like this - as the whole of NW Florida is - for three days:

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Yes!!! The ice is finally melting!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry to all that's dealing with all this winter misery!! Hang in there everyone!! The next ten days after today seems a lot warmer...too hot for me actually,lol...Why can't we have a happy medium!?!...like Highs in the low 70's in Feb.? Oh well...I'll take the hot over the Freeze any day :o)

Silvia, I didn't get off completely Scott free...I did have one morning (Jan. 19th) Hubby's birthday of all days... 27-32 degrees for at least 7 hours...Mango trees sustained some "cold damage" to the leaves...not sure how that's going to affect the blooms? Happy to hear you fared much better :o)

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 10:57

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

This is a picture of my house yesterday afternoon in Panama City - the icicles formed overnight Tuesday night. They finally melted today - we never got above freezing yesterday.

Cool, huh?

(I'm ducking now in case someone throws something at me for that bad pun.)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

Have been bummed out the last 4 weeks, yanking 4 big potted plants in and out overnight,..turning on the Christmas tree lights strung thru the mango trees, crossing my fingers, etc. But sure happy I am where I am. Figure this winter has just about run it's course, ..hereabouts anyway. And after our glorious December, am thrilled in general with this winters cold spell.
    Here we've have had little to complain about !

This post was edited by jofus on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 23:04

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The icicles DO look really cool Laura...though I don't wish it on any our gardens and plants...pretty to look at!

Its been a tough January for a lot of us in parts of FL and our neighbors to the North...

Hoping for a milder February :o)