Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haiyaku

ID: Invasive Weed Vine

debg
9 years ago

Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine that climbs up plants and creates mats on top. I think it runs by stolons although I haven't dug it up to check. I also think it's a perennial and unaffected by freezes. The main stem can grow up to six feet long. The branches appear every inch or two, have one set of opposite, linear leaves about an inch long, and ends in an itty bitty thread-thin tendril. Oh, and it has a tiny flower but I forget which season and what color...that's how significant it is.

It is evil. It breaks at the slightest tug. It spits seeds long distances! I would love to find something like Ornamec that I can spray the vine on the shrub without hurting the shrub.

(Cross-posted in the Weeds forum.)

Comments (11)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

This is something I am unfamiliar w/ - have you posted this @ the Name That Plant forum yet? They are very good there.

• debg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

carolb_W_fl -- No, I haven't. I shall do so. Thank you!

• debg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A group of FL botanists tracked it down! It's a Vicia acutifolia, commonly known as Four-leaf vetch (even though it usually only has two!)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Wondering if that means it's fixing nitrogen?

This post was edited by carolb_w_fl on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 13:55

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

It could be(fixing N) but the correct bacteria must be present in the soil for that to be happening.

Note to OP: Ornamec is a grass-only herbicide. This is not a grass, so just a heads-up: don't do that!

If you already knew this, I apologize. If it behaves like most vetches, pulling it will do little good, the rhizomatous root system laughing at your efforts. A very careful painting-on of a non-selective herbicide, like roundup, will kill it without affecting neighboring vegetation. Sometimes, that's all you've got. And vetches generally are some pretty tough and obnoxious customers.

Finally, since I'm not FL veg. expert, make sure it's not a native vetch. Up here, there are a few native types, along with all the crown vetch, cow vetch, and other invasive junk.

+oM

• debg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wisconsitom

Thanks for chiming in!

My mentioning Ornamec was just an example of an over the top herbicide that I'm looking for as the vetch is intertwined in the shrubs. Sorry for the distraction.

The vetch has spread in a bed about 15' x 20'. There's asiatic jasmine as ground cover and numerous varieties of plants plus it borders on my neighbor's beautiful flower bed. Lots of good plants to avoid killing!

I can use Round-Up where it's in the a. jasmine but there's a lot of space to paint (or dip in a jar of RU) for the other plants. For those, I'm thinking a dicot specific clopyralid like Transline would do the job. What do you think?

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Sure, just be aware you're playing with the big guys if you're using Transline. That's a very persistent compound in the environment, esp. as compared to, say, glyphosate, which would also get the vetch. One disclaimer on that: Vetches, as alluded to above, are very tough to get rid of. So, even though an initial application-however applied-might appear to knock the stuff back, do be prepared for new sprouts showing up here and there. Maybe that's why you want to use clopyralid, which does make sense from that standpoint, it being a stronger compound on such weeds. Glyphosate will get it but it might take more than one attempt.

Sounds like you know your chemicals!

+oM

• debg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wisconsitom

I got to digging around on the Dow AgraSciences website looking more into Transline. They have something newer called Milestone, an aminopyralid, which will target the vetch. It has a much better rate of degradation than Transline and is registered under the Reduced Risk Pesticide Initiative as being a lower risk to the environment than other alternatives.

I sent them an email to make sure I'm not misreading anything.

I was a Univ of FL trained master gardener for the county extension office for awhile. I also taught HS chemistry before I got into computer science so reading the specs is not too scary.

This diminutive vetch is evil stuff. I am aware of the battle ahead.

Thanks again for responding.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Just one final comment then debg; Milestone is "the other" too-persistent herbicide. What I mean by that specifically is, both of these compounds have the ability to remain active right through a composting program. Thus, grass clippings which have been treated with either, and which subsequently end up in one of these municipal composting programs, can and do go on to kill plants in gardens wherever that compost ends up. Talk about unintended consequences!

All that said, our native landscaping contractor, who is retained to do work in our numerous stormwater properties, uses both, mainly for extra-tough weeds, things like thistles and yup-vetches. So your game plan is sound, since I see no reason why this persistence will end up anywhere you don't want it. These are hot materials, so to speak, for when you need that extra oomph. Your situation is one such example.

+oM

• debg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wisconsitom

Not to mention my mow-blow-go yard guy spreading it from my house to parts unknown!

I feel it's my duty to try to stop it here and to instruct my neighbor who surely by now has seeds ready to sprout. Both of us have put a whole lot of time and money into landscaping. I would feel horrible if they ended up with my son of a vetch.

I have very much appreciated your comments. Thanks for taking the time. Au revoir!

• Matthew Whalen
    6 years ago

Was Milestone successful? We have it everywhere and it drives me crazy. It's in the Indian Haworth, the crown of thorns, the downy jasmine, etc.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area