Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Sorry, I don't 'Ribbit'.

Beneficial Nematodes (get it?)... recently I found a series of segments from a show called Garden Rx on youtube and I found a good bit of information in them (most of them being very organic in nature). In one of the segments, the host covers making compost tea which not only benefits your plants, but also benefits the yard in that it encourages the growth of beneficial nematodes. He explains that these little buggers will go out into your yard and help control all the annoying little buggers that can cause so much trouble in your garden. One of the things he mentioned that they would control is fleas...

I thought the information was interesting and figured I would look into this more later. Then, as if this show was foreshadowing something, both my dogs developed a case of fleas. Been here for three years and never seen an flea on my dogs. Then watch a show talk about flea control and BAM, I have fleas... what are the odds? Anyways, I know some of you make compost teas as I have seen posts mentioning the stuff, but I'm curious about the beneficial nematodes part of this. Do these things survive well in our sandy soils? Do any of you who make the compost tea notice any side-effects of having very few fleas on your pets?

Comments (4)