Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwahlton

Brussel Sprout question

jwahlton
14 years ago

I bought brussel sprout plants from the big box store. They really aren't doing anything. They grew a bit, but I really want fresh brussel sprouts! Any hope for my pitiful plants?

Comments (9)

• msmarion
    14 years ago

I've never grown them in FL but grew them every year in NH. They are a cold weather crop. Best picked after the first freeze.

• yuliana
    14 years ago

I have not tried brussel sprouts because James Stephens, the author of "vegetable gardening in florida", USF professor, does not advocate growing them as they are "challenging" to grow.

Heck, even my three-feet tall broccoli plants who are otherwise beautiful and healthy, are not making heads. I think it's a variety problem. And maybe there is no suitable variety for brussel sprouts in FL, who knows. I am still working on a tomato production, that's a challenge in itself.

• cfldoc 9b Lake County
    14 years ago

Sometimes it's worth it to try. For me they do great here in central FL with very little care, plants put out at beginning of October, ready to harvest beginning now. Photos taken today 1/02/10. Good luck, I would try next year as a Fall crop.

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You have got to be kidding me! I'm in Central Florida (Kissimmee), have had my plants in since October and they look nothing like yours. Can I come over and get some of yours? Believe or or not, my kids LOVE brussel sprouts which is why I was wanting to grow my own.

OK. So what did I do wrong? I just planted the 12 plants I got from HD/Lowes, but they haven't grown. I really, REALLY, wanted fresh brussel sprouts :(

• cfldoc 9b Lake County
    14 years ago

Well, like all leaf crops, they like nitrogen. I just made sure to work some 10 10 10 fertilizer into the area at planting time and then side dressed them a couple of times with the same. Also need to keep them watered, but other than that, not much trouble. They actually do better for us here than they did in Pennsylvania where we had aphid problems. Here, at this time of year they don't seem to be bothered. Good luck.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

nicely done, cfldoc... did you start from seeds or bought seedlings? i wonder if we couldn't start the seeds in late august, with the broc & collards? might have to give it a try next year, or talk christine into giving it a try...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Wow, those look great, cfldoc!

• cfldoc 9b Lake County
    14 years ago

Grew a few from seed and got others from Lowes. Long Island Improved and Jade Cross hybrid. Worth a shot if you like them, but as a Spring crop they don't seem to want to make tight sprouts here, better in the Fall I think.

• mickeybettyboop
    12 years ago

I also live in Central Florida but near Tampa...My plants also look like the pictures however I have no sprouts on them and was wondering if anyone can tell me why?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists