Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brussel Sprout question

Posted by jwahlton 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 12:13

I bought brussel sprout plants from the big box store. They really aren't doing anything. They grew a bit, but I really want fresh brussel sprouts! Any hope for my pitiful plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brussel Sprout question

I've never grown them in FL but grew them every year in NH. They are a cold weather crop. Best picked after the first freeze.

o

I have not tried brussel sprouts because James Stephens, the author of "vegetable gardening in florida", USF professor, does not advocate growing them as they are "challenging" to grow.

Heck, even my three-feet tall broccoli plants who are otherwise beautiful and healthy, are not making heads. I think it's a variety problem. And maybe there is no suitable variety for brussel sprouts in FL, who knows. I am still working on a tomato production, that's a challenge in itself.

o

• Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont, FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 17:26

Sometimes it's worth it to try. For me they do great here in central FL with very little care, plants put out at beginning of October, ready to harvest beginning now. Photos taken today 1/02/10. Good luck, I would try next year as a Fall crop.
Br. Sprouts 1/02/10
Br. Sprouts 1/02/10

o

You have got to be kidding me! I'm in Central Florida (Kissimmee), have had my plants in since October and they look nothing like yours. Can I come over and get some of yours? Believe or or not, my kids LOVE brussel sprouts which is why I was wanting to grow my own.

OK. So what did I do wrong? I just planted the 12 plants I got from HD/Lowes, but they haven't grown. I really, REALLY, wanted fresh brussel sprouts :(

o

Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 21:27

Well, like all leaf crops, they like nitrogen. I just made sure to work some 10 10 10 fertilizer into the area at planting time and then side dressed them a couple of times with the same. Also need to keep them watered, but other than that, not much trouble. They actually do better for us here than they did in Pennsylvania where we had aphid problems. Here, at this time of year they don't seem to be bothered. Good luck.

o

nicely done, cfldoc... did you start from seeds or bought seedlings? i wonder if we couldn't start the seeds in late august, with the broc & collards? might have to give it a try next year, or talk christine into giving it a try...

o

Wow, those look great, cfldoc!

o

Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 14:17

Grew a few from seed and got others from Lowes. Long Island Improved and Jade Cross hybrid. Worth a shot if you like them, but as a Spring crop they don't seem to want to make tight sprouts here, better in the Fall I think.

o

I also live in Central Florida but near Tampa...My plants also look like the pictures however I have no sprouts on them and was wondering if anyone can tell me why?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here