Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkin_gw

Lubbers!!!

katkin_gw
9 years ago

I can't believe it, I've got lubbers hatching today. It's only Jan and cold at that.

Comments (11)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

WTH? Maybe the cold'll slow 'em down & make it easier to eliminate 'em....

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

I called it! This wet, warm winter is going to have the insects out in droves. Lovebugs will probably be particularly thick this spring too. I haven't had too much of an issue with lubbers in the past, but I will start keeping my eyes open.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

You can kill baby Lubbers with commercial wasp and hornet spray. Get 'em now before they grow!

• laura1
    9 years ago

Last spring I started helping a lady take care of her roses. I notice right off that baby lubbers were all over the place!!!

I told her what she needed to do to get rid of them and she managed to get rid of most of them. Through the summer we would find one or two when we went out in the garden but they were not a big problem like they could have been. I interested in seeing how many hatch out this year.

Now I know I had better start keeping my eyes peeled for them NOW.

• katkin_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I killed more yesterday that were just hatching. I never have the wasp spray with me when I find them. But we are going to start lubber patrol now with a can in my hand.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

They finally arrived in my yard today. My kids warned me they had seen some in the neighborhood while playing (and told me "We stepped on them for you.") so I have been on the lazy lookout. This morning I found about two dozen nymphs on a single blade of muhly grass. I snipped the blade and dumped them into some soapy water. Odd thing is, I then went to run errands and when I got back a flock of birds (warblers I think) were in that area pecking at the ground. I checked and found one more nymph and squished it. I didn't think anything ate lubbers which is why they are such a nuisance? Anyways, another 30 minutes goes by and I check the area again and the same clump of Muhly Grass was now covered in snails (which I am guess is what the birds were really after). A very active morning for the NE section of my yard.

• katkin_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've had them hatching since Jan. Can't tell you how many we've killed already, but at least it is less then last year. I'll never be rid of them here until the vacant lot next door is cleared. They hatch there and then the adults come over here to party.

• marcia_m
    8 years ago

I just saw my first huge horde of lubbers at the local post office, eating all the leaves of a crinum in their landscape. They were anywhere from half an inch to over an inch long. I walked around my yard but didn't see any--thank goodness! Our house is a few miles from the PO but I'll keep on the lookout for them.
    Marcia

• plantsman56
    8 years ago

I'm so glad I don't have those here! Growing up in Hollywood, we had them all the time. It seemed like a plague, between the lubbers, fire ants, and the poison toads, ( one killed our cat on Mother's Day one year ) it seemed like we had to call with every pestilence known to man. We have the green and brown American Grasshoppers here in north Lakeland, but they are more specific in what they eat, so during the season, I can always go look at the palms when I hunt them down. I had a plant collection even when I was 10 years old. Back then, when I found lubbers on my favorite plant, my monstera philodendron, I would throw firecrackers at them. Gave you a nice warm feeling of revenge seeing them blow up. I guess we are all to old to do that now. There is a winding county road 17 in Polk county, that goes into Haines City that gets 100s of lubbers crossing the road around July every year. I still can't help running a few over on purpose on my way to Haines City! I'm sure the farmers that have groves on that road would thank me.

• katkin_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I sure wish I could have chickens, I would love them. :o)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!