Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

Any from martin county?

I'd like to know if there are any members from Martin County, Fl.
Thanks

Comments (16)

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

I'm right on the Martin/St. Lucie county line.

• bobbygil
    11 years ago

Hi....just happened to see this post....I am going to Stuart for a couple of weeks to visit. Does anyone know of any really good perennial plant nurseries maybe within a 45 min ride from Stuart? thanks bobby

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi bobbygil,
    None here. Perhaps in the Palm Beach county area. With good traffic it is about 45 minutes. I think most of the best nurseries are down in Homestead. That is south of Miami.

• stuartwanda
    11 years ago

There is a couple of good nurseries on 714 and I've pasted some down in W. Palm on Military Trail just north of the VA.
    I live close to Jensen.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I am in Port St Lucie, not too far from the county line.

There are several nurseries on Martin Hyw in Palm City.

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

People keep telling me I need to go to Mounts Botanical Garden in WPB but I haven't been yet. Supposedly it's by the airport. I've heard they sell plants in addition to the gardens.

I actually really like Lychee Tree on Kanner Hwy in Stuart, but I don't think it's a "tourist" type of nursery. Just good, healthy, well-shaped trees.

Nelson's family farms has a decent little selection of plants too. They have lots of mango and citrus varieties in particular.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

If you haven't taken a ride out Martin Hwy, you need to do that. Many nurseries out there past the turnpike. (I'm just over the line in st. lucie.) There's also tropical ranch botanical garden further out off Kanner, which has a sale once a month or so in season, a few nurseries still on Cove Rd, although I've never been to any of them, and a decent little nursery on Dixie in Rio.

EDIT Rorabeck's on Indian St used to be pretty good for tropical fruits and herbs, but their stock this season has been pretty sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical ranch website

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 15:46

Original Author
    11 years ago

http://www.treesnmore.net/Home.php is a link to a nursery west of Palm City. I have been growing a black sapote tree for the last 3 years from them. No fruit yet. It has been through a couple of freeze years, Unusual here. No damage from the freezes but I guess it slowed it some. Now it is very robust and I hope to see fruit set this spring. Nursery had all kinds of exotic stuff. Mostly fruit trees.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 1:17

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Anyone interested in touring each others gardens?

• flyingfish2
    11 years ago

SM,

I am also just on the St Lucie& Martin County lines. but way out west on 609.

In addition to the nursery's on 714, if you are going to Nelson's in White City, you might check Weatherbee's just off US1 in Ft Pierce.

Katkin, I do veggies and not flowers and do not have much to look at right now. Does Goldie in Vero still have a plant swap annually?

bernie

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

No Bernie, I don't think Goldenpond has an anunul plant swap any more. I haven't heard from her in a couple of years. Maybe I'll see her at GardenFest in Vero this weekend, I've run in to her several times there.

For those of you that don't know about it, GardenFest is a wonderful plant sale and you shouldn't miss it. It's at Riverside Park, google GardenFest for the info. :o)

• stuartwanda
    11 years ago

Katkin, Goldenpond has a blog on Facebook and she will be working the MG booth I think she said Sat. I wish I could go but have to help with a clam bake on Sat. Have a great time when you go.

Original Author
    11 years ago

If you have an interest in Orchids there is Odums in Fort pierce. A very well run orchid nursery.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Wanda, thanks. I'll stop by and say Hello to her. Several of us old timer Garden Webbers are meeting at noon by the food court on Sat.

Shavedmonkey, I've been to Odoms many times. Their orchids are great.

• bobbygil
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the names of nurseries. That will give me something to do while I visit in Stuart. I even called the Tropical Ranch Botanical Garden and the guy said they were closed for a month but he will open it up for me if I wanted to buy any plants. Thought that was nice of him. Gardenfest in Vero beach sounds like it might be fun so I think I will go down there this weekend as well. Thanks again bobby

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

Lots on the St Lucie - Martin line. Makes me wonder how many other Becker Rd. folks might be here!

Katkin, there's not much to see in my garden. Just some small fruit trees, herbs in pots, and a few desert roses. Nothing too impressive.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals