Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurenslpiheartspeech

Overlapping seasons and crop rotation

LaurenSLP
9 years ago

Hello! I am a new-ish gardener. I do most of my gardening in earthboxes and some smaller containers. This is the first year I've really had a successful garden and my fall garden is doing well. That being said, I am thinking about my spring garden which I think I should be planning to plant in early to mid-Feb. But what about my plants that are still doing well?

For example, I had some tomatoes re-seed themselves when a bird got to a few ripe ones. Those have grown into beautiful plants and are looking like they might produce eventually. I don't want to toss those out just to plant something new in a month. My real concern I guess is about crop rotation. My plan was to put plants from another family in that earth box but now I have tomatoes growing where they have already been growing for almost a year (no diseases or pests to speak of that I need to worry about). Should I just keep that box as a tomato box again this year/season and beef up my fertilizer? Should I try to move them to the box where I had planned to put the tomatoes?

I hope that my question makes sense! I have always just cleaned the boxes and started fresh (because the plants were always so dead!) so this is the first time I've needed to worry/think about this :) Thank you for any tips and advice!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting