Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyhair

David Austin over "Winter" in Orlando

daisyhair
11 years ago

I am only into my second year growing Roses.... I have 5 David Austin bushes (three in pots, two in the ground).

I am putting the three in pots in the ground next month.

I kept expecting the roses to go into some type of dormancy.. but they really have not (although they are looking a little sad because I have not fed them in almost 2 months). My 2 yr old Abraham Darby is still covered in buds/blooms.

I read that we prune our roses here around Valentine's Day.. but then I read we don't have to prune David Austin.?

I only have one plant that is going on two years old.. my first, Abraham Darby and it's so incredible! It's over 6" tall but very lanky and has mostly very long octopus canes. I have no idea how to prune it (if I should? it's still blooming very nicely and I wanted it to be a climbing rose - it's on a wall).

I also would love some advise on fertilizer. I bought two bags of the David Austin fert. when I ordered my last batch of roses last year at $20 a bag and I know there are other good fertilizers that won't cost me over $50 with shipping.

What would you suggest? Something I can buy at Lowes would be a good start for me.. if there is a good rose fert. there.

I have questions about planing the other three, amending the soil.. etc.. but I think I should start another thread about that!

I am going to be a life long rose addict I can already tell. My last flush of Abraham's almost blew my mind. I just ordered three six more bushes!

Comment (1)