Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar to kill Dollarweed?

Posted by sharbear50 10 Port Saint Lucie (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 12:43

I have read many articles about spreading sugar on your lawn, and then watering it in to about 6 inches. Has anyone tried this? It is supposed to be an organic weed killer. Supposedly if you water it in by watering till the water starts to puddle and then turn off the sprinklers. Wait several minutes until the water is absorbed and then run the sprinklers again then it will work as a weed killer. Will this much watering reduce the "bug attraction" problem that seems inevitable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar - Weed Killer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar to kill Dollarweed?

not heard that one. I have heard it feeds beneficial organisms in the lawn..

o

That's a new one on me. Guess you'll have to try it out and let us know the outcome?

o

I fought dollar weed for years. Had the worst crop in the neighborhood. I used Atrazine. The dollarweed was happy with that. After a little set back it started growing like crazy. In the early spring I used Image. Knocked it out pretty well but really set the lawn back.
This year I spent $30 and had a professional spray it. He used a product he called Blade. Had it sprayed in late October. Absolute total dollar weed kill. I also had him add granule fertilizer (no extra cost). It set the lawn back a little, but the results were the best. I canceled after one treatment because I did not want more chemicals that might injure the lawn.

I might call him again in the spring to put pre-emergent down since dollar weed spreads by seeds as well as roots.
Bob

o

Bugbite, I am trying to avoid using all those harsh chemicals in my yard.

o

Dollarweed is usually a symptom of too much water. Are you on a sprinkler system and if so how often do you water your lawn?

o

floridays, yes someone told me that already. I turned off our sprinklers about a month ago. I thought the cold snap we had would kill it...no such luck. The cold turned the grass brown but the dollar weed is still green...it must be tough stuff.

o

Ha ha, it is tough stuff! In the mulch beds it's not too bad - you can pull a string of them up if you're careful...
Perhaps as we come into the spring/dry season it will naturally die off, mine usually does. Hey, in the meantime at least it's green!

Good luck!

Scott

o
Sugar to Kill Dollarweed

Scott, I really don't mind it much in my yard, but the darn stuff is in my veggie garden. LOL, yeah at least it's green!

o

Dollarweed is edible! Throw some in your salads. Just make sure the source of water and ground isn't contaminated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here