Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daikon Question

Posted by kddeford Edgewater Fl 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 13:06

I have been growing Daikon for the past two years. I always manage between 2 and 3 feet long plants (even the ones i put in containers). So growing isn't the problem.

The problem is storing. If my wife buys a daikon from the store it lasts for weeks in the vegetable drawer of the fridge. But if we pull one from the garden it has to be 'ate' withing a few days. Otherwise it gets limp and mushy. This is a real problem with these radishes, becuase at 3 feet and almost as big around as a kids ball bat we end up throwing half of each one back to compost.

Any ideas? What do the large growers do differently? Maybe withold water before I pull? I am at a loss and couldn't find anything specific online.

Thanks,
Kenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daikon Question

There's a new forum on here called Harvest. Maybe someone there would know?

o

Thanks,
I will give it a shot.

o

Apples have some type of thin edible waterproofing wax sprayed on them, maybe daikon growers do the same. I have no idea where you would find such wax, but since oil and water don't mix maybe you could dip them in like olive oil to get some extra storage time. I haven't tried it, just a guess. Good luck.

o

I just read one source that said they should be kept in "cold moist" storage. I wonder if you wrapped them in some very damp paper towels inside a bag the way you would with fresh herbs?

o

I bought one recently from my local Asian store to add to some kimchi. It was sealed in several layers of saran wrap. I didn't get around to using it for more than a week, but it was fresh and firm still, moist but not wet. They do most of their veggies that way.

john

o

You can soak the daikon in water every few days to give them additional moisture. Best to store them upright, if possible. If you cut the greens off, make sure to leave about 1cm of green on top of the root. Use the daikon from the bottom up, rather than top down.

o

Thanks,
I will give each of these a try.

Kenny

o

I store mine for 1-2 weeks easily.

I keep them wtih 2cm of greens at the top, rinsed and wrapped in saran - then into a ziploc when short enough. LOL.

Barbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here